Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my witty title says, when is it clear that Passage of Time should be the play? What kind of things are you guys looking for to help decide that's the move? For me I feel like I'm never sure or it doesn't seem useful. I've only played the beginner scenario three times but I think in three games I've done it twice.

Any helpful ideas here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One cue for me is when there is less than 3 red cubes in the Subjugation of New Mexico cup. That will drive the enemy morale down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most obvious thing: you've got people waiting in the Passage of Time box and you don't want to lose half of them when the next VP card comes up. In the longer scenarios, you don't have a chance unless you can keep increasing the number of families on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wait until I can bring a whole new family in and elders to compensate for the ones which will probably die (you get culture for these!) and I have enough food to feed the whole gang.

If less than 3 red cubes, I may rush things a little.

Also, if I know a Victory check is imminent and I need to take a new territory to pass the check, I need to do passage of time at least two cards before the Victory check. One card is to bring the family in and the next card is to move the family to their new location. And then hopefully, the transition card soon afterwards.

Strongly recommend noting down all of the VP thresholds for all of the transition events in your scenario so you don't get surprised by the VP number when it comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
All excellent advice and I can't really add anything!

I'll do a PoT if I can bring in a full family and not risk losing too many elders or having to consume all my sheep. I'll do a PoT if necessary before a VP check is coming up in order to get them into a new territory for scoring, even if I can't bring on a full family. And I'll definitely rush a PoT if there are fewer than 3 red cubes out, or during the American period if there are no outposts on the map - even if there will only be 1 family member I'll happily take the CP loss in order to hurt Enemy Morale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Strongly recommend noting down all of the VP thresholds for all of the transition events in your scenario so you don't get surprised by the VP number when it comes up.

These thresholds are listed in the expansion rules near the end, with the optional rules for randomizing the sequence of historical events. (Since the VP thresholds aren't randomized, you can't use the numbers printed on the card)

But note the exception for the first event in the Mexican period, as the table reminds you. That event is normally the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good advice guys. This really opened up the game for me. As I stated I've only got a couple short plays under my belt but I think not planning ahead to make sure I have food to feed my families and VP's for the next scoring are what hurts my ability to decide to Pass time. I'm still trying to figure out what to do the rest of the time. Great game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little rule of thumb I use is to try to alternate between family actions and planning to make sure that a little bit of everything I need to do is getting done on each card. It helps with the planning ahead part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the first time you play a scenario there's generally a terrible surprise if you survive until the end having to do with the special effects of the final card. So either get familiar with the card when you start or (if you're like me) just be surprised the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

What I do is I shuffle and stack 8+1 cards at a time only (but do not view the remaining ops cards either, of course). That helps keep track of how many cards are left before the latest possible next historical/transitional event as well as helps knowing what the next hist/trans event is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to this thread, I'm now using a new method: I'm using dummy placeholders for the VP cards in the deck (by using VP cards not needed in this scenario). When these dummies show up, I simply replace them with the real VP cards -- which I now keep beside me so I know what's coming up.

You could just write all the info down, but I rather like having the upcoming VP card sitting there next to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls