Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last evening was our groups first attempt at this game. Lots of questions existed which after much discussion and much searching through the pages of the rules answers were found.

I have a comment and a question.

The comment is I wish that a complete cross referenced table of contents existed. SOmetimes answers to questions were in little boxes or corners of pages that we scanned many times before finding the answer.

The question is, and this might be a stupid one but boy did it evoke discussion, Say you play the 8 gold card on a province early on in the first part of the game. Does that card stay with the province when the second (new) stage begins. We left the card there. It certainly changed the value of the province that received no income during the new era. We thought about taking that card off but were left with the thought that a payment of 8 especially in round 3 would always be played because it certainly was more income than one could ever expect during the round and therfore ther was never any reason not to make the play. Leaving the card on throughout the new era changed not only the value of the province but also made one hesitate a bit before playing the card too early.

Can someone tell me what the correct rule is and also what they think about the playing of the 8 coin card in a particular section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Re:!st playing rule question
fuzzyfife (#18551),

Oh boy, oh boy. Somehow the ruleswriters at Hans im Gluck seriously messed this up. The playing of powercards in provinces is often misunderstood. They probably thought to make things easier by saying powercards must be played in a province, but they seem to confuse lots of people.

Anyway, you may play the "8" gold card in one of your provinces during the Income phase. You get 8 gold for that province and then the powercard is immediately discarded. It does not stay there for the next turn, let alone the next "era".

The same goes for the "+1 gold per farmer" card (and the overbid and bidblockade powercards during the biddingphase). Play them in a province, discard them after the phase.

I hope that clears things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!

Wow was that ever broken....

even if it stayed for the rest of the half it would be broken.

Of course, the way we played it the first couple times was also broken, we just handed the person 8 bucks....not changed the value of one province.

And we played where the +1 per farmer was for all farmers, not 1 province, and the sacrifice adjuctment was played post bidding, and the bid blockade and overbid cards did not carry with you for the rest of the round, and that you could play the free farmer and free brick anytime, not just in the purchasing phase. In short, we played them ALL wrong. And we also didnt know the rule that you could only play 1 of a certain card in a turn (at one point I played 4 +1 per farmer cards at once, which was so broken...)
We also didnt know you could trade them in for 1 gold.

We played several other things wrong as well, it was horrific.

Luckily after our first two games, I read the real rules and we got it right. I agree that the rules with the game are poor and confusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife (#18551),
Thanks for an answer to my question regarding the "8" card and actually all the rest of the cards.

I am still left with the thought that 8 dollars is a lot of money to acquire from a province that has very limited income, especially if you happen to draw the 8 dollar card a second time. Even though we played the game wrong I have a feeling that our way created much more thought about how and when the card would and should be played!!!

It actually didn't feel broken. It felt like "Boy do I really want to use this or not" Anyway we will now play the game with the correct interpretation of the rules and for that I am grateful.

I still think that the rules are awful. That a clear table of contents with the location of rules pages clearly marked would be a very nice addition to this game.
I gave the game an 8 rating based on our playing simply because I thought I saw a great game in there someplace. Hopefully I'll find it the next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Baxter
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mb
fuzzyfife (#18551),
Just FYI, a while back I uploaded a text file to BGG that has the answer to this and some other rules questions. It might help in any future confusions. :-)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=3326

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife (#18628),

8 does not feel high to me, a lot of provinces are worth 8 or more. Yes, that's pretty good return for an otherwise worthless province, but it also is not unusual for the card to be totally worthless to a player whose three provinces would all be worth more than 8 without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Carr
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
Alexfrog (#18621),

Thats funny, I haven't had a single problem with the rules. Of course something may crop up later, but to me everything was plainly stated somewhere in the rules. I find that having 2 people read the rules really helps with this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with the rules was that I was tought by someone who didnt have a clue about the correct rules, missed a bunch of them in the explanation to us, and explained several others wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.