Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Rispoli
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In keeping with the importance of keeping a production center safe as it's capability increases, I suggest an optional inherent defense rating for a Shipyard that automatically increases (at no extra charge) as the number of construction units are paid for in a given system.

# SY units Class Atk Def HP Defense Marker
1-2 C 3 0 x1 Base Station
3-4 B 5 1 x2 Battle Station
5-6 A 7 2 x3 Star Base

Whether the inherent defensive unit assists in the defense of an overall system invasion, or merely aids in defending an assault on the Shipyard alone, I leave up to the player's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would make defence way too easy, and taking out a homeworld even tougher than it already is.

SYs are as cheap as they are because they don't contribute much to combat. With your variant you get 3 units that (including upgrades) are CAs with less hullpoints for the price of a base. Build 3 SYs and you get a free (albeit stationary) BC!

It also makes early SC/DD attacks completely pointless. They already have trouble against SYs due to low hull points and the lower firing rank, now they don't stand a chance against anything more than 2 SYs.

While I agree that keeping a production centre safe is difficult, I have to say that that's the point. If you want a good defence build a base. Or defend them with your ships. Or don't build your SYs right in front of your opponent.

If you play with this keep in mind that it will shift the game balance towards turtling and building up much larger fleets to punch through your opponents defences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.