Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you build new units in a disputed home territory (One in which there is a battle occurring?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the end of 7.23 says units can't be built if they're engaged. And for Fortresses, 7.231 says undisputed friendly territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
But it does appear that they can be reinforced (Flipping the CV up) despite being engaged.

Am I reading that correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so, because 7.23 covers both adding new steps and building new cadres; I think the "units cannot be built if" bullet items at the end of 7.23 applies to both. Maybe I'm wrong about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I don't think so, because 7.23 covers both adding new steps and building new cadres; I think the "units cannot be built if" bullet items at the end of 7.23 applies to both. Maybe I'm wrong about that!

That's what I thought but was checking as you MIGHT read those as only applying to units that are already built and being built further.

In any case, it was a last, desperate plea to build a few more units in Moscow before it fell to the Germans who had already taken Leningrad. Alas, Moscow was overrun and the Germans won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime you place a new cadre or reinforce an existing block it is termed a "build". You cannot perform a build if a unit is at Sea, engaged in a Battle (ie., in a disputed area), or unsupplied (exception: Fortresses - see 7.231).

Specifically, to your question: No, you cannot build in a disputed area, even if trying to place a cadre in home territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furyn wrote:
Anytime you place a new cadre or reinforce an existing block it is termed a "build". You cannot perform a build if a unit is at Sea, engaged in a Battle (ie., in a disputed area), or unsupplied (exception: Fortresses - see 7.231).

Specifically, to your question: No, you cannot build in a disputed area, even if trying to place a cadre in home territory.

angry The Komisar would have made it happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Furyn wrote:

Is there a clarification or FAQ on that somewhere, because 7.23 does not read like that to me. The word build is no where in the paragraph on Existing Units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Building units in Disputed Territory.
This probably would be clearer if there weren't a page break between 7.23 Buying Unit Steps/Existing Units and /New Cadres.

The following third paragraph with the 3 bullet points is not subordinate to /New Cadres, it is a 3rd and equal paragraph applying to the entire 7.23 rules section.

At any rate, you cannot add steps (including the first step, ie a cadre) to units that are Engaged in a battle (ie, in a disputed area) -- all 3 prohibitions apply to both cases.

Cadres can only be built in undisputed Home Territory. Unengaged units on land anywhere (in Supply) can be built a step.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Craig. So you need to bring your fleets etc back to land to "repair" them, which makes thematic sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mindy,

Exactamundo.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the playbook show the German player adding steps to the units in Paris when already engaged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce,

Uh, where? That would be a mistake if so.

If you are talking about 1940 Production on Playbook p21, Paris fell in Fall 1939, so Paris is not disputed at that point (as shown in Illustration 21). The Axis can legally build all 6 units there if desired.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad.

I read through it very quickly while working a night shift. I did not notice that Paris actually fell the turn before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.