Subject: Call to Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules state that once u intend to pillage the other players have a chance to join the battle. The player to the left chooses to add a figure and it continues clockwise back to u. My question is does it stop after that one chance? Or if there is still room to add units it continuos clockwise again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always room if there are spots for the figures (or in the center where the spots are unlimited). Reminder that ships and such can't move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply... But to be clear...

4 open villages 1 occupied by player 1 total 5... Player 1 decides to pillage... Player 2 moves a unit into a village... Player 3 passes... Player 4 moves a unit into a village... Player 1 passes... Is the call to battle stage now over... Or does it continue to revolve to player 2 since their are still open villages?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cable
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from the rulebook:

Quote:
Once all villages in that province are occupied, or when no one else wishes to join in, the battle begins.

Note: There are no villages in Yggdrasil, so any number of figures can join a battle there.

Once all of villages in the target province are occupied... that tells me that you may keep adding units until all of the villages are filled. It also says that any number of units can join a battle in Yggdrasil. This is another sentence that seems to allow players to add multiple units to a Provence without any special abilities required.

In the game play video that CMoN released, the bear clan invaded Yggdrasil multiple times. This video was posted by CMoN on their Kickstarter and on their YouTube channel. I am sure CMoN would have stopped the players if they made any mistakes. If the rules imply that each player may ONLY add 1 unit to a province (unless they have a special ability that allows them to add more) during the "Call to Battle" action, then the bear clan invading Yggdrasil multiple times would have been a huge mistake.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It keeps going round and round until all spots are fill or until no one wants to join.

Also if one person passed the first time they may reenter on future rounds.

Fighting and being defensive is also a very clever way to move your u its around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simply put: you continuosly go around the table until all spaces on that particular region are filled or EVERY player passes.

ygrdassil is an exception that you can invade only by using the MARCH move from an adiacent region. When pillaged any number of units can join in, one at a time, providing they are near it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklaw90 wrote:
simply put: you continuosly go around the table until all space on that particular region are filled or EVERY player passes.

ygrdassil is an exception that you can invade only by using the MARCH move from an adiacent region. When pillaged any number of units can join in, one at a time, providing they are near it

that's what I needed :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:

Also if one person passed the first time they may reenter on future rounds.
Really? I thought that passing during call to battle would be treated the same way as passing on taking an Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have the same question, and I don't think the answer is at all clear. I'd love to hear an official ruling on this one.

Here's the exact text from the rules:
Quote:
Once you have declared your intent to Pillage that
province, the other players have a chance to join the
battle. Starting with the player to your left and going
around in clockwise order, each player (including
you) may, if they wish, move one of their figures from
an adjacent province into an empty village in the province
you are pillaging. Moving a figure in this way does
not cost Rage (and note that Ships cannot be moved).
Once all villages in that province are occupied, or
when no one else wishes to join in, the battle begins.

Note: There are no villages in Yggdrasil, so any number of
figures can join a battle there.

Let's say Aaron is pillaging a region with four villages. Aaron has one warrior in the region, and is the only person there. Brad sits to Aaron's left and chooses NOT to send in a warrior. Charlie is next and chooses to send in a warrior. David is next and also decides to send in a warrior. We are back to Aaron, who decides not to send in a warrior. Now there are three warriors in the village, and one empty spot - Aaron has one, Charlie has one, and David has one. Can Brad choose to send in a second warrior?

The rules say:
...each player (including you) may, if they wish, move one of their figures from an adjacent province into an empty village in the province you are pillaging...

The rules do not say that once it goes around once, that the choice continues around the table a second time. I would think that if it was meant to keep going, the rules would say "Continue around the table until all villages in that province are occupied, or when no one else wishes to join in; then the battle begins."

Now, I think that it makes sense that you keep going until either all the villages are filled, or until everyone has passed. That's the way most of these games work. And it makes sense, I guess, to let you keep bringing guys in like that. But it's just not very clear.

The question as to whether or not you can jump back in after you've passed is a tougher question, I think. In almost every game, once you pass, you're out. I can think of very few games that let you jump back in to something once you've passed. So it seems odd to let someone back in. It's not really a problem, though, until you consider how to handle Yggdrasil. Since there's no figure limit there, a person could pass, let one other person bring in a figure, and then decide to bring a second figure in, which might make someone else who passed also bring another figure in, and so forth. It just seems a little wonky. Possible to do, but wonky. I guess in that case, you would keep going around the table until all players passed in succession.

The way we've been playing it is -
You keep going around the table until the villages are full, or there is no more room, or everyone has passed.
and
Once you've passed, you can't come back in.

Again, an official ruling or FAQ would be great.

(Caveat - it's not like I'm the world's greatest rules expert; see my other thread here on this game for an obvious rule that we missed. I'm not saying I'm right or anyone else is wrong - just saying this is the way I'm currently playing, and would like to get an official answer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MUKid wrote:
I have the same question, and I don't think the answer is at all clear. I'd love to hear an official ruling on this one.

The rules clearly explain how the process to join starts, proceeds (clockwise from the pillager) and ends (no spots left or nobody else joins).

There's no mention of going only one round and the word "passing" is avoided.

Then, going by the rules:

keep going around, people can join at any moment (no player is ever out) until there's no spots or nobody else joins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that you are correct, but it's just so different from most other games (passing and coming back in later) that I'd like to have confirmation from some official source. Thanks for the answer, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thiago has given official clarification:

"As stated in the rules, the chance to bring a figure into the battle goes round and round, until all villages are occupied, or no one else wishes to join. So you can pass at first, but then when your turn comes around again you can decide to bring a viking in."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Source link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pm'd him directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question related to battle: a battle occurs only if a province is pillaged, and you cay only pillage each province once, so there are a maximum of 8 battles in age 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Question related to battle: a battle occurs only if a province is pillaged, and you cay only pillage each province once, so there are a maximum of 8 battles in age 1?

No. Only the player that announced the pillage may actually pillage. If another player wins, the pillage itself does not happen. So another battle may happen at the same province over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just did not mention that in my post. but once a region is pillaged, there is no battle possible anymore, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Yeah, just did not mention that in my post. but once a region is pillaged, there is no battle possible anymore, right?

That is correct. Once it is pillaged, it will only be possible to battle there at the next age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abba Elfman

California
msg tools
There is a card available in the 2nd and 3rd age that allows you to pay rage and repillage an already pillage province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfonamouse wrote:
There is a card available in the 2nd and 3rd age that allows you to pay rage and repillage an already pillage province.

Yes, there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
Thiago has given official clarification:

"As stated in the rules, the chance to bring a figure into the battle goes round and round, until all villages are occupied, or no one else wishes to join. So you can pass at first, but then when your turn comes around again you can decide to bring a viking in."

Ok.
But from what Thiago wrote, what is the correct procedure between the two below (note that in both examples, the pillaging player is 'C' and the player to his left is 'A'):

1) The Call to Battle step ends once all players have passed in a row.
Example: 'A' pass; 'B' play; 'C' pass; 'A' pass; 'B' pass/end step.

2) The Call to Battle step ends once all players, starting from the player to the left of the pillaging player, have passed in a row.
Example: 'A' pass; 'B' play; 'C' pass; 'A' pass; 'B' pass; 'C' pass/end step.

What is the consesus, 1 or 2?

--edited errors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fost
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once ALL players have passed consecutively, battle commences.
So your #1 is the way to go.

Once player C passes he's out unless player A or B enter the fight.
If A and B pass as well, that's it. Player C has already made his choice, he doesn't get another kick at the can.

Edit.
I'll just shut up now

Take care,
Douglas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought the consensus was that option #1 describes the intended rule: no one else wants to join. Mind explaining your reasoning behind the edit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, at the moment the consensus seems to be option #1 (I also take into account the thumbs-up). It is enough for me, I will play in this way, as long as the consensus stays on option #1.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
Mind explaining your reasoning behind the edit?

Oh, I had mispelled some letters in the examples... Sorry for not have been more explicit in my edit above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.