11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Selling Print and Play Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where else to put this. If a mod knows where else to put this, please put it there. Thanks.

Our town is going to have a local fair in a few weeks. I thought during this time it'd be a great idea (just thinking, of course) that I'd print up some of my own merch, set up a folding table and chair, and sell stuff at the fair. THEN I had the bright idea and remembered the free print and play games you can find around here and from here.

So I thought, why not print and sell those next to my own stuff? Making sure they're separate from my own things.

Any thoughts? Or any potential issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you sell any? Who knows.

Are some of them probably under some copyright that you're not supposed to sell them? Probably.

Will you get in trouble? No.

Will anyone care? Not unless you make threads about it on the only forum on the internet who knows what the hell you're even talking about.

How will you feel? Try it and see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
SciFi AntiHero beat me to this, and hit all the highlights.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I hold this out as legal advice.

You would be violating copyright, but the likelihood of someone prosecuting is very low (although, if you're caught the penalties can be steep.) You've displayed some behaviors that make a copyright holder more likely to take notice of your activities:

-- public display of infringement
-- receiving money for violating copyright

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.

See, the thoughts I was having, what's the difference between this and selling used board games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:
Okay.

See, the thoughts I was having, what's the difference between this and selling used board games?

The difference is that the designer and publisher have received money for the used copy, and in fact worked together specifically to make sure that copy existed for their profit. The fact that they don't see continued income when that copy is resold isn't relevant.

:edit: though to be fair, there are a number of print-and-play designs that are intended to be free in the do-what-you-want-with-it sense. The respectful and legal thing to do would be to pick your PnPs very carefully after scrutinizing their licensing agreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Some of our free PnP games actually take a bit of time & effort to make. Plus $$$ to get the right materials. I normally take a week or two to make one game. That's without a box, that takes longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:

You would be violating copyright, but the likelihood of someone prosecuting is very low (although, if you're caught the penalties can be steep.) You've displayed some behaviors that make a copyright holder more likely to take notice of your activities:

The argument that you're violating copyright is pretty iffy for a print-and-play game. These are distributed with the intention to be printed and played. The licensor would have had to be very careful in how they crafted their license to pursue any kind of penalty for this, since the implication of a "print and play" game is that one can, well, print and play it.

IANAL, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Autoduelist wrote:

The argument that you're violating copyright is pretty iffy for a print-and-play game. These are distributed with the intention to be printed and played. The licensor would have had to be very careful in how they crafted their license to pursue any kind of penalty for this, since the implication of a "print and play" game is that one can, well, print and play it.

IANAL, of course.

There's a difference between "Print and Play" and "Print and Sell." There are plenty of boil-in-bag non-commercial licenses that allow free replication for personal use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhhh shibit... this type of thread has been in hibernation for some time.

The Sleeper Awakes.

My question to the OP... can you can send me a copy of your PnP design or whatever you have created? Can I sell it, market it, and keep all the monies? PM Me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much confirming what I've been worried about but wanted clarification on:

Bad idea, unless the game lets you.

Thanks folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dent
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you sold the PnP game for what it cost you make (materials only) then I don't see a crime in it. I know that's a large gray area and people would exploit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.