Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions related to reaction attempts.

1st, on the Darter-Dace Submarine Attack Reaction card, it does not specific an Intelligence condition. I think this means this card does not change the Intelligence condition from Surprise (Rule 7.25B "[...] the Reaction player could choose to play a Reaction card that specifies the intelligence condition as Intercept or Ambush."). Therefore, play of this card does not enable the Allied player to make reaction moves (Rule 7.26 "If the intelligence condition is Surprise attack there is no Reaction move [...]"). Is this correct?

2nd, rule 7.25C says "[...] if (but only if) the Reaction player did not play a card and the Offensive card did not specifically call for surprise attack, the Reaction player can opt to make an intelligence die roll."

So assuming a JP attack that is not explicitly named a Surprise attack by the Offensive card, if the AP played the above Submarine Attack Reaction card, then is he prohibited from making a reaction roll? And he must accept a Surprise attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
I have a couple of questions related to reaction attempts.

1st, on the Darter-Dace Submarine Attack Reaction card, it does not specific an Intelligence condition. I think this means this card does not change the Intelligence condition from Surprise (Rule 7.25B "[...] the Reaction player could choose to play a Reaction card that specifies the intelligence condition as Intercept or Ambush."). Therefore, play of this card does not enable the Allied player to make reaction moves (Rule 7.26 "If the intelligence condition is Surprise attack there is no Reaction move [...]"). Is this correct?

2nd, rule 7.25C says "[...] if (but only if) the Reaction player did not play a card and the Offensive card did not specifically call for surprise attack, the Reaction player can opt to make an intelligence die roll."

So assuming a JP attack that is not explicitly named a Surprise attack by the Offensive card, if the AP played the above Submarine Attack Reaction card, then is he prohibited from making a reaction roll? And he must accept a Surprise attack?

You were doing great until the last assumption...the question is moot.

When you are learning the game I would follow the Offensive sequence of play (7.2) without any shortcuts or deviations. So, if you were in step 7 that is when intelligence is dealt with whether with a card or a die roll.

It is not until step 9 that Attack reaction cards are played (in your example Darter-Dace).

So, the question you asked cannot occur as intelligence has already been rolled for if you follow the sequence.

Does that help?

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that helps tremendously! Thank you!

I am embarrassed to say I have managed to overlook that Offensive Sequence outlined in 7.2. surprise For whatever reason, I have been doing operations by starting at 7.21 and working through the rule sections that follow. Well, I needed to learn the right way to do this sooner or later.

Thanks again, Mark! Sorry I missed what now seems so obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
Yes, that helps tremendously! Thank you!

I am embarrassed to say I have managed to overlook that Offensive Sequence outlined in 7.2. surprise For whatever reason, I have been doing operations by starting at 7.21 and working through the rule sections that follow. Well, I needed to learn the right way to do this sooner or later.

Thanks again, Mark! Sorry I missed what now seems so obvious.

No worries, you will find that all timing issues are handled by the sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls