Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Number of players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone.

I am very interested in this and due to crazy work hours and lack of a real gaming group would likely be playing this solo most of the time. I see 1-4 players listed so I am intrigued by that as well as the unique gameplay mechanics. Is the game based on having 4 characters/heroes and if you have less players you have to play multiple characters?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. that is correct. you'll have to control at least 2 characters. At least thats what Isaac said in an interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast reply! So in a "solo" game I would manage 2 characters then? That is at least more manageable than playing 4 by myself. I assume the game is designed to scale to the number of characters in the game?

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
from the game play videos from gen con, it shows no indication to how well the game scales based on the number of the characters. maybe someone who has tested it during gencon can comment on this. i'm interested to know as well. that said, this game is a sure back for me as i found the mechanics new and interesting.

The only possible issue that I foresee is AP since you get to choose 2 cards out of a deck of cards every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am as a playtester can tell you this:

I tested almost everything alone, had some games with 2/3/4 Players.

I can handle easily 2 hereos
I can handle normal 3 hereos
I have some problems (because of a lot of cards and a too small table) with handeling 4 correctly)

Let me be clear on the last point.
From the rules / mechanic its very easy and smooth to handle as much hereos as you want, you just need a huge table. If you have enough space it works fine.

Because of the very good balancing of the hereos(I played ...lets say more than 4) AND the very good var. player count (more and stronger enemys), you can play with any combination as you want, you just need to adjust your playstyle.

I can say and promise that the game scales prefectly between 2,3,4 and all the classes.

Hope I made it clear

If you have questions let me know

BR Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vex85 wrote:
I am as a playtester can tell you this:

I tested almost everything alone, had some games with 2/3/4 Players.

I can handle easily 2 hereos
I can handle normal 3 hereos
I have some problems (because of a lot of cards and a too small table) with handeling 4 correctly)

Let me be clear on the last point.
From the rules / mechanic its very easy and smooth to handle as much hereos as you want, you just need a huge table. If you have enough space it works fine.

Because of the very good balancing of the hereos(I played ...lets say more than 4) AND the very good var. player count (more and stronger enemys), you can play with any combination as you want, you just need to adjust your playstyle.

I can say and promise that the game scales prefectly between 2,3,4 and all the classes.

Hope I made it clear

If you have questions let me know

BR Stefan

thank you for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it clear? any questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just to be clear:

1.) If you are playing solo, could you just play 1 hero?

2.) If we are playing a 2-player game, could each player only play 1 hero with no negative effects on game-play?

I'm pretty sure it's no and yes respectively, but I wouldn't mind being reassured.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
Hi,

Just to be clear:

1.) If you are playing solo, could you just play 1 hero?

2.) If we are playing a 2-player game, could each player only play 1 hero with no negative effects on game-play?

I'm pretty sure it's no and yes respectively, but I wouldn't mind being reassured.

Thanks!

I hope I can answer this

1.) No. The enemys are designed to play vs 2 or 3 or 4
2.) Yes. The stats will be diffrent in a 3 Player or 4 Player game, but you wont have negative effects.

Hope its clear if not ask me again^^

BR Stefan

Edit: Please note, that may be you can play it with just 1 hero, we dont know what the development brings. (remeber Forge War, the Solo Varient came during KS) - So its not final, its just the status now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super clear, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small Edit:

Edit: Please note, that may be you can play it with just 1 hero, we dont know what the development brings. (remeber Forge War, the Solo Varient came during KS) - So its not final, its just the status now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information! So was playing 2 characters not too hard to manage? Sounds more doable than playing 4 characters. About how long did a solo game playing 2 heroes take? Of course, if the kickstarter developed a dedicated way to play using just 1 hero I would of course be even more interested...

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game lenghts depends on the time of how much you are taking with other people. You are not allowed to take about your initial numbers (just e.g. I go early or I came very late ) .

Also a normal game can be played in lets say 30-60 minutes I would say. If you add 10 - 15 min per additional hereo you are not wrong. (you can see the time also on the front page 60-120 minuts. I guess the shortes scenario and the longest with 4 players in an normal time)

This also depends on how good you are with the rules - are you a slow or a fast player and so on.

But overall I would say 30-40 mins when you are a normal player, knowing the rules and playing smooth. Sure you can do it under 20 if you are racer!

Hope that helps

Let me know if you have any question

But I will go on holiday soon so^^ it may takes longer for me^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not supposed to talk to each other about your "initial numbers" does that imply some hidden knowledge? If so how does 1 player handle this--just ignore that aspect and have free knowledge of all of the cards of all the heroes that you control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can just speak for myself.

I avoid the ini. number and usally play hero by hero. When a tricky Situation comes up I reeluvate the First hero.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All sounds really good. Hopefully the single hero can be put through, but I'll probably be playing this with 2 more often than not. Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And guys, remeber you can always change your party (keep that in mind )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Fjeldsted
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
We have a group that is typically larger then 4 players, most often 5-6. Would/does the game scale up to that number of players? I've just glanced at my copy and haven't really gotten into it yet, but I thought maybe because of the way the difficulty scales that adding a couple of players would work out, or alternatively we could just play on the the higher difficulty level. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 5. You need to make an extra deck of combat cards for the 5th player, but otherwise you're fine.

We bumped the difficulty up by 1, and the 5 of us barely won the scenario, so it seems fairly balanced. The extra crowding (meaning we attack less optimally and get attacked more since there are more targets) offsets the extra player a bit, so it seemed to be 'fair'.

I wouldn't try it with six though, as it would just be so crowded you'd have people spending turns with nothing to do because there's a two or three thick wait at the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuluragnok wrote:
We have a group that is typically larger then 4 players, most often 5-6. Would/does the game scale up to that number of players? I've just glanced at my copy and haven't really gotten into it yet, but I thought maybe because of the way the difficulty scales that adding a couple of players would work out, or alternatively we could just play on the the higher difficulty level. Thoughts?

The designer recommends against playing with 5 (I'm struggling to find a reference right now). But, if you must, he suggests that you raise monster and trap values by 2 levels and leave the rest as is. A number of people have posted that it seems to work fine. We haven't tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is it actually good with 4 players? or it is more "best with 2"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wibs wrote:
Is it actually good with 4 players? or it is more "best with 2"?

IMO: great with all player counts, best with 3. The only reason I say 4 isn't ideal is that rounds do take a bit longer as you have more players acting and more monsters to deal with. 2 is 'only' great because there are less opportunities for interesting combos and character synergy. 3 is that perfect balance of zippy play time with plenty of interesting interactions. It really is fantastic at all player counts though.

I personally wouldn't play with 5 unless it's the only way you could possibly play the game, and definitely not 6. The board would be so cluttered and each round seems like it would take forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a $130 game listed as 1-4P I was pretty deeply bummed to see them say that 1P is basically a variant where you juggle 2 characters and try to pretend you don't know the information that you do.

NOT 1P in my book.

michael4928 wrote:
If you are not supposed to talk to each other about your "initial numbers" does that imply some hidden knowledge? If so how does 1 player handle this--just ignore that aspect and have free knowledge of all of the cards of all the heroes that you control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't try to pretend you don't know the information that you do. You bump up the enemy difficulty to compensate for the perfect knowledge you have.

I don't know why some people consider this not truly single player because you have to control two characters. That's like saying Final Fantasy VII is actually a nine-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

You bump up the enemy difficulty to regular 2P level where if it were REALLY 2P you would not be allowed to mention specifics-hence my statement "...try to pretend..."

Well, that's just my take on it.

It is, by NO means a truly 1P game.

Dexter345 wrote:
You don't try to pretend you don't know the information that you do. You bump up the enemy difficulty to compensate for the perfect knowledge you have.

I don't know why some people consider this not truly single player because you have to control two characters. That's like saying Final Fantasy VII is actually a nine-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |