Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I haven't had a chance to play this yet (doing so Saturday) but I loved Age of Empires III.

This cover is certainly very colorful and conveys a sense of...

*OCD ALERT*

1. Is the priest cheering the other ship on? Or is he trying to ward if off with his cross?
2. I'm not familiar with a ship design that has the wheel in that location on the deck. It just looks like an odd location to me.
3. Why is holding the wheel in that manner? Surely he isn't going to steer into the other ship? His best bet is to go hard port and at best bounce off the side.
4. two guys on the left and right just "hanging out" enjoying the show. this isn't a show! You are on the deck that is about to get impaled!
5. Is the guy with the spyglass blind? It looks like he's looking at the sails, but since they are about 30 seconds from collision maybe he's blind? Maybe he's looking at the crow's nest, but why?
6. The dudefellas calmly walking around with rum? gun powder? They seem totally oblivious to the ship crashing through the waves immediately behind them.

this is all in jest, but the scene in the picture and the behavior of the participants is just funny to me.

Great game though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know those times when you are sitting at a long table during a family party and someone wants to take a picture to capture the event and they keep asking all of you to lean in and lean in more and lean in just a little bit more please? And it gets to a point where everybody is tilted at a 45 degree angle towards the centre and goodness nobody would ever sit at a table like this unless somebody orchestrated this weird crampy arrangement just to capture everyone who needs to be in that picture?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, had the same thoughts. Those are pretty crazy waves for clear skies.

I figured the priest was sticking the cross at the heathen natives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
You know those times when you are sitting at a long table during a family party and someone wants to take a picture to capture the event and they keep asking all of you to lean in and lean in more and lean in just a little bit more please? And it gets to a point where everybody is tilted at a 45 degree angle towards the centre and goodness nobody would ever sit at a table like this unless somebody orchestrated this weird crampy arrangement just to capture everyone who needs to be in that picture?!

So you're saying that the ships are just leaning in for the benefit of - well it can't be a photographer in that day and age - the painter? It must have taken some skill for the crews to hold the boats in those positions for long enough. However, that goes some way to explaining the stance of the guy with the wheel, that the OP has a problem with.

The priest's arms must have ached something terrible by the time they were done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up; so fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, there are vampires on the other ship.
2. It's a fake wheel for the captain's idiot brother who thinks he's really steering the ship.
3. See #2.
4. Little known fact that in those days LSD was big with deck hands.
5. It's not a spyglass, it's a cleverly disguised bottle of rum, hence his lack of concern over being crushed.
6. Another little known fact, sailors in those days mixed rum and gunpowder to make a cocktail. They called it a Harvey Hullbanger.

Hope that clears things up

lordpenquin wrote:

I haven't had a chance to play this yet (doing so Saturday) but I loved Age of Empires III.

*OCD ALERT*

1. Is the priest cheering the other ship on? Or is he trying to ward if off with his cross?
2. I'm not familiar with a ship design that has the wheel in that location on the deck. It just looks like an odd location to me.
3. Why is holding the wheel in that manner? Surely he isn't going to steer into the other ship? His best bet is to go hard port and at best bounce off the side.
4. two guys on the left and right just "hanging out" enjoying the show. this isn't a show! You are on the deck that is about to get impaled!
5. Is the guy with the spyglass blind? It looks like he's looking at the sails, but since they are about 30 seconds from collision maybe he's blind? Maybe he's looking at the crow's nest, but why?
6. The dudefellas calmly walking around with rum? gun powder? They seem totally oblivious to the ship crashing through the waves immediately behind them.

this is all in jest, but the scene in the picture and the behavior of the participants is just funny to me.

Great game though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpenquin wrote:

*OCD ALERT*

Great game though...

Dude, my wife and I were looking the cover and laughing really hard at your comments. Thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls