Subject: Rolling for Attack (Rules Question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branwell
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
We're having trouble clarifying the rules. If Unit(A) is attacking Unit(B) which has a defense of 4... does the attacker need to roll 5s to hit, or is just rolling a 4 enough?

Example:
4 dice rolled: 3, 4, 1, 0.
Result: 4 (hit), 3+1 (hit) = 2 wounds?

Or must the attacker roll 5s to hit?

Appreciate any clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to match the defenders defence.

So in your case a 4 would hit.
So yes, 2 wounds.

Also keep in mind that adding a dice to another changes the dice up by 1 point, no matter what the dice count that was used.

To clarify: You roll 4 dice and get 4, 3, 2, and 0. If the defender had a defence of 4, you would get 2 wounds again. The 4 does a wound. The 3 uses the 2 to add +1 to itself, making it a 4. So no matter what the die says, you add it to another with the value of +1. Unless it's a blank. A blank die never changes and cannot add to another die.

So lets say you roll 3 dice and get 3, 2, and 2. You can add one of the dice to the 3, and it makes it a 4. You can now add another one to that and it makes it 5.

I know I just made it kind of confusing but it's a key mechanic to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branwell
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick clarification.

I had thought that you had to roll 5s "to hit" and that if the 5 itself wasn't enough to overcome the target's defense, you'd have to roll again or add a point from each additional die.

My boyfriend is going to be very happy he's right. Curses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well when a die is or becomes a 5, you get to re-roll that die and add the printed number to it.

So lets say you roll a die and it's a 5, you re-roll it and it's a 3; that total attack die is an 8.

Now say you roll 3 dice for an attack and they are a 4, 2, and blank (zero). The blank is off to the side, and can't manipulate other dice or be manipulated (adjusted). You use the 2 to make the 4 die go up by one, and now making it a 5. That 5, now gets re=roll and the new number is added to the 5, same as the roll above. So if you used the 2 to make the 4 into a 5, re-rolled the 5 and got a 2, that die attack is regarded as 7. A re-rolled 5 that is blank keeps the die attack at 5. A re-rolled 5 that is another 5, gives you a total of 10 for that attack die, but you don't re-roll the new 5, it's just added to the first roll.

So now take same as the above but I'll change one of the dice. So you roll 3 dice and get a 4, a2, and a 2. You use one of the 2's to make the 4 a 5. You now re-roll that 5 and it's a 2, so you add that to the 5 and make it 7. You still have another die of 2 sitting there. You can use it to add a +1 to that new die attack of 7 and make it an 8, because a first rolled die can always be added to a total to give it a +1.

But all you ever need is a result equal to or greater than the target's defence. So for those targets with high defence like an 8, you can see how getting a 5 and re-rolling it can hit that number. And for every die that hits the target's defence number, a wound is taken.

Hope the rambling made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal is mostly correct, I'd like to clarify some points a bit more, however.

Longbombed wrote:
Well when a die is or becomes a 5, you get to re-roll that die and add the printed number to it.

This is optional. The reason for it being an option will be clarified below.

Longbombed wrote:
The blank is off to the side, and can't manipulate other dice or be manipulated (adjusted).

There are some abilities that will specifically deal with blank results, letting you re-roll(e.g.: Skilled Melee, Skilled Archer). Hal is correct, however, you normally cannot interact in any way with a blank die.

Longbombed wrote:
A re-rolled 5 that is blank keeps the die attack at 5.

It does not, it goes out.

Rulebook Page 10 - Attack Roll wrote:
Any die showing a 0 is lost for good, even if it was a re-roll of a 5.

This is why you might not want to re-roll a die showing a 5, it is a niche situation usually, but it exists.

Longbombed wrote:
A re-rolled 5 that is another 5, gives you a total of 10 for that attack die, but you don't re-roll the new 5, it's just added to the first roll.

You can actually re-roll it.

Rulebook Page 10 - Attack Roll wrote:
You may continue this cycle of re-rolling 5's to keep accumulating their values for as long as you have 5's to re-roll.

This basically means you keep adding the result. If you roll a 5, re-roll it into a 5 and re-roll that into a 3 you would get a 5 + 5 + 3 =13. This can keep on going if you keep rolling 5's, but it isn't usually worth it because you could potentially lose the die. It is quite unlikely that you will need more than 10 ever anyway.

Hope you have fun playing the game and that Hal and I clarified things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schloth
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
andrewbwm wrote:

Longbombed wrote:

According to this posting: "Attack rolls", the official ruling for a re-rolled die that blanks is that it becomes a 5 again. It can't be re-rolled, but it can be added to by the sacrifice of other non-blank dice per usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSchloth wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:

Longbombed wrote:

According to this posting: "Attack rolls", the official ruling for a re-rolled die that blanks is that it becomes a 5 again. It can't be re-rolled, but it can be added to by the sacrifice of other non-blank dice per usual.

Thank you for letting me know! The rulebook is very explicit that the opposite is true, must have been a translation error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as in any game, the golden rule applies to Mythic Battles as well. If a card or abilities contradicts the rules, follow the card.

So if an ability allows you to re-roll a die, of course you can re-roll a blank. Clearly my examples were to show how a numbered die can add a +1 to a rolled die.

As far as the continuing of re-Rolling 5s from a single die, the written rule could be interpreted as that, but I was under the assumption that only meant re-rolling 5s that changed due to the dice manipulation by removing a die to add the +1 to another. I am pretty sure there is nothing in the game with a defence over 10 and being a now out of print game, and the lack of support from iEllo there is a good chance that there will be no more expansions, so we're set with as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this caught me out in my rules summary document too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.