14 Posts

Legendary: Secret Wars – Volume 1» Forums » General

Subject: Storage Solutions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Murray

Iowa
msg tools
So I have labels on all my dividers which adds a bit of thickness to the dividers and with the number of cards in this expansion I don't have enough room in the villains box for everything. The best I can do is take out a bunch of bystanders and cram everything in.. Has anyone found a solution for this issue yet..or am I the only noob here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything sleeved, but no labels on dividers.

Heroes/Allies and Ambition deck are in the Villains box.

All other cards (starter cards, Villains, Masterminds, Bystanders, etc) are in the Dark City box (could be the Secret Wars box if you prefer).

Legendary Encounters: Aliens are in their own box in one big row. Predator will be added to the other row at the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all my marvel cards sleeved with lots of customs, and what I do right now is:

My core box has some cardstock separating the cards into 3 rows and it contains all my Heroes (minus Thanos, Namor, Maximus, and Proxima Midnight), including a bunch of customs, and 4 villain groups.

My Dark City box has all the rest of my Villain groups, Henchmen groups, Masterminds, and Master Strikes.

My Villains box has all my Allies (and the 4 I mentioned), with Customs, my Backup Adversaries, Adversary Groups, Command Strikes, and Commanders.

My Secret Wars has everything else (Starting Decks for Heroes and Villains, New Recruits, Sidekicks, Bystanders, Schemes, Scheme Twists, Plots, Plot Twists, Madame Hydra, SHIELD Officers, Baby Hope Token, Enemy Wounds, Wounds, Bindings, Ambitions, Randomizers, Blanks, replaced cards, spare dividers, etc).

One of those boxes has my Shards, don't remember which, and my Villains and Secret Wars boxes have a lot of room left and my Dark City box has a little bit of room left.

My Aliens are still in their box, unsleeved atm.

Looking for alternatives though, still a lot of customs I want to get printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NXTNERD wrote:
So I have labels on all my dividers which adds a bit of thickness to the dividers and with the number of cards in this expansion I don't have enough room in the villains box for everything. The best I can do is take out a bunch of bystanders and cram everything in.. Has anyone found a solution for this issue yet..or am I the only noob here?

Welcome to the club, Jon! You have officially joined the, "What the hell do I do with all of these cards?" Organization. You are most definitely not a noob. Between all of the expansions there are numerous threads of Legendary owners who have an over abundance of cards and questions about storage.

Options...

* there is a company (name eludes me) that sells a Legendary game box insert that fits into your base game box.

* craft your own inserts! Sounds like another person on this thread did this, as did I. Three rows in the base game gets everything (Heroes, not Villains) up to this point minus a handful of cards. With this expansion I finally had to go to my Villains box.

* if you don't mind carrying around multiple boxes you can spread it out into the base game and Villains. They are the two biggest boxes we've gotten.

* you can spread it out amongst more boxes if you wish using your Dark City, Villains, Base, and Secret Wars boxes in some combination.

* Hobby Lobby sells a wooden artists box that I have seen people use.

* don't sleeve anything and you could probably fit all heroes expansions into the base box. I haven't tested this, but based on my layout of 3 rows in the base box, I think I could fit all heroes expansions into the base box with no sleeves. But I'm not unsleeving to test it out.

* I dream of finding an old card catalogue from a library and cutting it down to size. How cool would it be to be able to pull out a drawer with cards? Probably pretty heavy.

* check out yard sales, thrift stores and antique stores for more creative options.

* Upper Deck has said that they are working on a storage solution as well. If and when this happens is anybody's guess.

* and I'm sure there are others who have suggestions I haven't even mentioned.

* how you store your cards might make a difference as well. Vertical or horizontal?

Basically Jon, you are absolutely not alone in this. It's a labor of love.

Edit: made some corrections and added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrRosenRosen wrote:
NXTNERD wrote:

Welcome to the club, Jon! You have officially joined the, "What the hell do I do with all of these cards?" Organization. You are most definitely not a noob. Between all of the expansions there are numerous threads of Legendary owners who have an over abundance of cards and questions about storage.

Options...

* there is a company (name eludes me) that sells a Legendary game box insert that fits into your base game box.

* craft your own inserts! Sounds like another person on this thread did this, as did I. Three rows in the base game gets everything (Heroes, not Villains) up to this point minus a handful of cards. With this expansion I finally had to go to my Villains box.

* if you don't mind carrying around multiple boxes you can spread it out into the base game and Villains. They are the two biggest boxes we've gotten.

* you can spread it out amongst more boxes if you wish using your Dark City, Villains, Base, and Secret Wars boxes in some combination.

* Hobby Lobby sells a wooden artists box that I have seen people use.

* don't sleeve anything and you could probably fit all heroes expansions into the base box. I haven't tested this, but based on my layout of 3 rows in the base box, I think I could fit all heroes expansions into the base box with no sleeves. But I'm not unsleeving to test it out.

* I dream of finding an old card catalogue from a library and cutting it down to size. How cool would it be to be able to pull out a drawer with cards? Probably pretty heavy.

* check out yard sales, thrift stores and antique stores for more creative options.

* Upper Deck has said that they are working on a storage solution as well. If and when this happens is anybody's guess.

* and I'm sure there are others who have suggestions I haven't even mentioned.

* how you store your cards might make a difference as well. Vertical or horizontal?

Basically Jon, you are absolutely not alone in this. It's a labor of love.

Edit: made some corrections and added

Both Broken Token and go7gaming offer inserts for the base game, Villains, and the Hobby Lobby Artist's Sketch Case. Actually, not that I think about it, I'm not sure if go7gaming has an insert for the Villains box.

They both definitely have inserts for the base game and the Hobby Lobby case, and Broken Token definitely also has one for Villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sweet, I had no idea they made inserts for the other boxes. I knew of the base game insert. That's real good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both companies sell inserts for all 3 solutions mentionned above (base set, villains box and artists box), although BT's banner on BGG mentions it's for Villians...

I have the go7 insert for the base set, and I used to fit everything Heroes (sleeved) up to Paint the Town Red, and it was pretty packed, so I'm not sure you could fit Guardians too, at least not if you use an acrylic divider between each Hero.

I've since unsleeved everything (as I hate carrying 2 boxes for a single game), and now I store Heroes up to Paint the Town Red AND the Villains base set, including the playmat, in the base set. Also I now use the dividers just to divide by type of cards (starting cards, wounds, bystanders, hero factions, etc.)

Here's what it looks like now :

In the picture, the left lane is bad guys (Villains, Henchmen, Masterminds, Schemes, Twists, Strikes, Adversaries, BU Adversaries, Commanders, Plots). The other 2 1/3 rows are good guys (including playable Villains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Stewart
msg tools
I have bought a few card binders and store the cards in those. It gives me an easy way to browse through all the characters and am able to organize it however I want without the possibility of the cards spilling over. It's also neat to browse over pages and pages of schemes looking for the perfect one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my cards are sleeved (with the exception of about 100 because I ran out of sleeves when i bought the new expansion).

Before SW, I had all of Villains in the DC box and the rest in the Villains box. With the expansion I had to do some rearranging so now all of my playable characters are in the SW box (I like it better than the DC box) and the rest of the cards are in Villains.

I cut a few foam dividers in half to separate the card types without eating up a bunch of room and think it works out well but I am completely out of room.

While I am not a fan of using carrying around 2 boxes, I am holding off on putting money into a custom storage box because, as was mentioned, there is talk of a storage solution that will be a better fit for all of my cards and any future expansions or additional items they may make (such as a new playmat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven williams

Clarksville
Tennessee
msg tools
My solution up to secret wars so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for my horrible picture, but here is my Hobby Lobby artist case w/ the Broken Token insert. In the box is everything (unsleeved) but the cards from the 3D packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoopaKingJr87 wrote:
My solution up to secret wars so far.

Is that elastic or velcro in the lid? And how did you attach it? I'm trying to decide how best to dispense with the tray in the lid and still be able to store the board and rules myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all cards sleeved and separated by Aclheaxn's dividers. All of the Heroes/Allies are in the Villains box and everything else in the Secret Wars box. It's just a little-bit tight in the Secret Wars box, but for the moment, it's fairly close to perfect.

Edit: I should mention that I have the original set players mat, that was sold separately, rolled up on top of the villains mat and I don't bother with the board. So this may not be a workable solution for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom picked up an old ammo box for me at an antique shop. I knd of had an idea that she got me something that I wouldn't be able to use but it was a nice gesture anyway. Ate a healthy meal of crow on that one. When I picked it up I quickly realized how wrong I was.

Here is the before.

Here is the after

Inside!

No Villains in the box. I had a feeling they wouldn't fit. At the end of the day, when I have to come up with a new storage solution I'll have a pretty cool box for something else. The next expansion should fit but that will be it. It's not that heavy either. I'll get a file folder or some such and attach to inside of cover for the directions.

Fun little project. Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.