Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Im trying to really like this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bane Batman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Have played this game about 10 times now and nine of those were just 2 player and the other with a 3rd player.

I understand that the base set is pretty easy, but man is it REALLY easy. I dont think we have lost a single game although there were some games that got interesting, but I just dont see the replayability.

would an expansion fix this? I like the game, but I feel like its missing something along with the easy difficulty. I am looking at the dark city expansion that seems to add a lot of difficulty and some more meat to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City will solve all your issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions add a bit of difficulty and significantly more enjoyment. Fantastic Four has Galactus who is a really challenging Mastermind. Some of the new Secret Wars Vol. 1 Masterminds seem to be tough.

This game is most fun at 3-4 players for me. I enjoy the advanced solo rules variant. I haven't really played many exciting 2 player games.

Loki is the most challenging Mastermind in the base set. IIRC The Legacy Virus is the most challenging Scheme.

Lastly, try using some of the optional rules toward the back of the rulebook to increase difficulty:
- Add extra Scheme Twists
- Add more power to the Mastermind (+2 through +5 power)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Expansions will definitely make it more difficult. Some of the schemes in the base set are a complete joke, in regards to difficulty (as well as the masterminds in the base set too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The expansions add some more interesting schemes and mechanics that makes it a bit more interesting.

Also I think its in one of expansions, they added a bunch of optional challenge modes. I'm personally making them into cards so they can be randomized and they can make some of those easier masterminds more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mendez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
if expansions aren't enough for you spend some time and explore this site for all the custom cards, the members here have made variations that make the game infinitely better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

IMO it's not a co-op game even though Tom V at the Dice Tower pushes it as such. Think of it more as a semi co-op like Thunderstone and you will be less disappointed. I love the game, but get frustrated that many people try to make it what it is not.

That said, the expansions up the Mastermind's difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

IMO it's not a co-op game even though Tom V at the Dice Tower pushes it as such. Think of it more as a semi co-op like Thunderstone and you will be less disappointed. I love the game, but get frustrated that many people try to make it what it is not.

That said, the expansions up the Mastermind's difficulty.

This!

At it's heart, it is only semi-cooperative. So if it's a sure-fire win, be selfish and aim to get more points, the harder the mastermind, the more co-operative you have to be

PS It's perfectly fine if you want to play it entirely co-operative, just keep in mind that some scheme/mastermind combinations will be too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The majority of the suggestions will be/are to buy expansions which I agree completely changes the game and enjoyment levels but buying when you are not currently enjoying it may not benefit you.

As someone suggested above, try increasing the difficulty level - 1havok12 created action and difficulty cards which are in the files section that you can add to the game to change matters. Some are official difficulty increases and others are what he has made. You can take some spare cards to proxy them into the villain deck as needed.

Alternatively have you tried randomising your set up - sometimes this can completely ruin your chances of beating a mastermind or preventing a villain from escaping but other times you can win by the skin of your teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same issues with the base set. They listened to the people playing the game and have ramped up every set since. In Dark City their are advanced solo rules that will improve the game.

Another thing I found boring with the base set was the art. Same art on every card. That changes after with anything else you will purchase. The new Secret Wars set is by far the best release to date in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you wait to pick up the expansions, You could try some of the custom Schemes put forth by folks here in these forums. Or even the "upgraded" base game masterminds...they add a level of difficulty as well.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1268493/marvel-master-databa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that expansions will make things harder. And it's not only because of the Villains!

You should randomize the Heroes you play each game, but in the base set, since most are either Avengers or Xmen, they tend to combo off of each other fairly easily.
With more expansions, you add more factions, and when you randomize your heroes that means the combos aren't as easily accomplished and therefor makes the game harder (and very satisfying when you pull off a huge combo!).
I remember really staring to enjoy the game with Dark City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Like many have said, there are several ways to enhance the difficulty. I noticed that two options haven't been mentioned yet for some reason:

1) Different Masterminds are tougher without their enemies in the Hero deck. Magneto is tougher (but still not tough) when your hero deck has few to no X-Men, and Loki (clearly the toughest Basic Set Mastermind) can hit hard if your hero deck has fewer Ranged and Strength cards. Cyclops and Thor can manhandle him!

2) If you can't or won't print the custom cards available here, at least one player simply adds 1D4 to the Attack of the Mastermind each time he or she's defeated. 1D4 is role-playing game talk for the result of the roll of a four sided die. You can just roll a six-sided one and reroll if you get 5 or 6.

Dark City has already been plugged quite a bit, and for good reason, but Villains might be tougher. There's quite a few people that dislike the set, however, so try to find someone who shares your gaming likes and dislikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls