Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Medina (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: mold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mold [+] [View All]
Captain PB
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
this is the second game i've ever recieved with mold on pieces when i opened it, the first being of course Ys. If i wipe them clean, will mold return? i pitched most of the bags to be careful. is this a common issue for this game, or is it just me? thanks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Not just you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Not just you

I was fortunate enough to not have any mold problems. But one of my buildings had a broken leg. They did replace it very quickly.

Sorry this happened to you.

Arthur Reilly
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainPB wrote:
this is the second game i've ever recieved with mold on pieces when i opened it, the first being of course Ys. If i wipe them clean, will mold return? i pitched most of the bags to be careful. is this a common issue for this game, or is it just me? thanks.

The mold will probably not return if they are left to dry after cleaning. I also would let both the box and the pieces dry completely out before putting everything back in the box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of mould on the copy that I just received.

It seems to be particularly attracted to growing on the purple palaces.

Do I just wash the pieces in water? Is the paint waterproof?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've discovered why there is mould at all.

Several of the plastic baggies are not new ones - they're old and scratched and have clearly been re-purposed from somewhere else. One of the bags had a random red sticker (with strawberries on it!) attached to the bag from its previous owner/use.

One can only assume that the mould has been introduced from this batch of old bags.

I hope the manufacturers take note and use clean, fresh plastic bags in any future printings!



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Garcia
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Other then wipe them off has any one contacted stronghold? My game to came with mold. Currently using baby wipes to clean pieces
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
napinc wrote:
Other the wipe them off has any one contacted stronghold? My game ti came with mold. Currently using baby wipes to clean pieces
I contacted them a while ago and was told mine was the first report. Since then, only 2 other people have contacted them.
If people just wipe it off and don't report it, Stronghold can't know the extent of this problem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Garcia
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just reported it to them as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nielsen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought this game today. Mold all over the pieces. Reported it to stronghold games today. No response yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Shreiner
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game today, there was mold on everything. The bag containing the castle pieces had come open. So now there is mold on the inside of the box and in the board. I also contacted Stronghold.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine in a shipment from Amazon. I also had the mold issue, and mine also had game pieces all over the box from an opened bag. I put in an RMA with Amazon, and mentioned this to Stronghold in a tweet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my second copy from Amazon. This one also has mold on the pieces, but less so than my first copy. To avoid the hassle of returning it I'm just going to keep this copy.

Has anyone determined whether this mold is toxic or dangerous? I suspect that these games spend lots of time in the heat for shipping and storage. I'm guessing that the mold might be dead already.

What's the best method for cleaning these pieces? I found this thread, and specifically this post that offered some good solutions:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5226601#5226601
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nielsen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my replacement pieces from stronghold. They were clean, thankfully, but I noticed the inside of the bag was literally dripping with condensation. It's obvious that there is a lot of wood in this game, and therefore a lot of moisture. Why they would ship this game with no silica packets is beyond me. I threw a bunch into my bags and hopefully won't have any more issues. I can almost guarantee that this issue will continue until they put silica packets in the bags.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dimebagofmeeples wrote:
I received my replacement pieces from stronghold. They were clean, thankfully, but I noticed the inside of the bag was literally dripping with condensation. It's obvious that there is a lot of wood in this game, and therefore a lot of moisture. Why they would ship this game with no silica packets is beyond me. I threw a bunch into my bags and hopefully won't have any more issues. I can almost guarantee that this issue will continue until they put silica packets in the bags.

Alex, did you buy your game from them directly? You just contacted them after the fact and asked for new pieces? Did you have to return the other pieces?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nielsen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
commadelimited wrote:
dimebagofmeeples wrote:
I received my replacement pieces from stronghold. They were clean, thankfully, but I noticed the inside of the bag was literally dripping with condensation. It's obvious that there is a lot of wood in this game, and therefore a lot of moisture. Why they would ship this game with no silica packets is beyond me. I threw a bunch into my bags and hopefully won't have any more issues. I can almost guarantee that this issue will continue until they put silica packets in the bags.

Alex, did you buy your game from them directly? You just contacted them after the fact and asked for new pieces? Did you have to return the other pieces?

I got my copy from Miniature Market. I emailed Stronghold and they shipped them to me. They didn't ask for the moldy pieces, so I threw them out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the best way to tell if there is mold? I don't see any clear signs like green stuff but there is some white stuff on some of the pieces but it looks like it's just dust. It's only on a few and doesn't really look like mold but I'm not sure. Mold is bad news.

What's the easiest way to clean these?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
What's the best way to tell if there is mold? I don't see any clear signs like green stuff but there is some white stuff on some of the pieces but it looks like it's just dust. It's only on a few and doesn't really look like mold but I'm not sure. Mold is bad news.

What's the easiest way to clean these?

The mold in my copies (yes - I ordered one, returned it and ordered another, both with mold) was more of a grayish, cobweb-like substance. I think I will contact Stronghold as well.

I bought them from Amazon however.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cody koeninger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just got a copy from my FLGS, baggie was open and pieces were covered with mold. Contacted stronghold.

For anyone else wondering, it'll be real obvious when you open the box, this isn't a subtle issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Garcia
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So a few months later after I washed the affected pieces and let them dry. The mold has returned on just the pieces that had it before. I changed the baggies, punched holes in then and used a couple of silica packs. Still had the mold come back. I wrote Stronghold asking to have my purple and orange pieces replaced.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Leonard
Switzerland
Geneva
GE
flag msg tools
Thanks for alerting us with this thread, and sorry to those who have had issues with mold.

I just requested Medina for my upcoming birthday and now I am more than a little scared of getting a moldy copy. It's obviously not just one or two isolated cases based on the responses in this thread, but surely it can't be like this in every single copy or even anywhere close to it.

I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I'll be ordering from the UK, and it seems like all the responses in this thread have come from people in North America, so perhaps (wishful thinking) my version will somehow be less susceptible to mold!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone know the best way to wipe down the box and board? Even though you can't see the mold I can still smell it. I'd like to wipe down everything but obviously don't want to damage anything. What's the best way to do this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyothi
India
Bangalore
flag msg tools
Avatar
For anyone still wondering: I washed the pieces with soap and water and then with white vinegar and baking soda. I then sun dried the pieces. Hopefully this takes care of the problem. Hope it won't come back.


I then touched the pieces up with metallic sharpie.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Molash
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy from a local store at a local con On the 15th of February. As soon as I opened the plastic wrap I could smell the mold. The pieces were moldy in the undersides and in the crevas' on the tops. I took pictures and wrote to Stronghold and asked for a full replacement. The board stinks so bad. I haven't heard anything back from them. Should I take it back to the store?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Porter

Bellingham
Washington
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
50% of the wooden pieces were moldy I got today from Amazon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |