Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother in law is coming over tonight to play BGs. Loves A&A and would like to try something else.

So I got a ton a games, but have not played any of them (newbie still)- and was thinking HotS, or Crusader Rex or introductory game for WOTR.

What do you think? I don't want too complex but I also want some meat to the game? Which would be more intuitive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would definitely be for Hammer of the Scots. Relatively simple setup and play, once you get through the rules. Block mechanism is very easy to grasp. Just tell him it's like Stratego on steroids!

Edit: I didn't know Memoir '44 was in the running, but I do agree with the comments below; great introductory game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection I'd recommend: "Memoir '44," "A House Divided" or "Victory: Blocks of War." MM'44 and V:tBoW would both be extremely straightforward (moreso than HotS even which has some weirdness with the some units going home for awhile I understand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Drew
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he a big Lord of the Rings fan? If so, go with WOTR. If not, go with Hammer (and go easy on him) .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play WotR introductory game. It's slightly broken. Hammer of the Scots sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far HotS seems to be the consensus. Keep your opinions coming!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I will try M44 with him- a good idea I should have thought of- but he likes the grand strategy element vs tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring, the regular game, is terrific. You (at least one of the two players) do need to have read carefully through the rules, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
paths of gory or war of the ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron If he's an A&A fan, the choice should be WotR; I consider WotR to be the grown-up big brother of the Gamemaster games. But I also agree with Eric that you should go straight to the advanced game, as the Basic Game will hinder rather than help your understanding of the Advanced Game. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hoped to play Blood feud in NY later this week- any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Blood Feud" works best with multiple players, not just two.

I'd suggest you check out Walt Mulder's excellent review of "Axis & Allies Battle of the Bulge" and see if it sounds promising to you.

I also endorse "Memoir '44" and "Commands & Colors: Ancients". You might want to take a close look at the upcoming "Tide of Iron" from FFG (it's up on their web site now with a description and some photos).

Rather than "Victory: Blocks of War," which is in a fictional setting, consider Columbia's "Pacific Victory," a wooden-block game on WW II in the Pacific.

Also take a look at Worthington's "Clash for a Continent" (French & Indian War/American Revolution, battle-level). You might consider playing "Clash" using the new "Risk" figures instead of the wooden counters and stickers if you like 3D "bits." If he likes the American Civil War, I'll second the recommendation of "A House Divided" and also suggest you look at Worthington's "Forged in Fire" on McLellan's 1862 Peninsular Campaign.

Simmons Games' "Bonaparte at Marengo" is a brilliant design, beautifully executed graphically and with very clear rules; the closest thing I've ever seen to true "military chess." It might be more challenging to get into, but is worth the effort to learn and defies "perfect plans."

Lastly, do not overlook Peter Morrison's wonderful "VIKTORY II," which is a very playable, very engrossing, very fast semi-abstract game of discovery, expansion and conquest in the horse and musket era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 would be the easiest to introduce....but also the least fulfilling to me.

Twilight Struggle might be a good choice, particularly if he likes the Cold War theme and you are not overly familiar with it either (don't have a detailed knowledge of the deck) so you'll be fairly even.

But the best game you own for this purpose has GOT to be Rommel in the Desert. If you take the time to read the rules ahead of time, its not too hard to teach. Any WWII history love from him? That would go a long way, too. I know lots of folks will tell you Hammer of the Scots. I can't say its a bad choice....just that I find it a fairly flat game compared with Rommel. Rommel is tense, nervewracking and exciting!

War of the Rings is probably the most like Axis and Allies, by far. It would probably be a lot of fun for you guys, but also requires an investment ahead of time to learn the rules. Its trickier to teach, but is also likely to be a lot of fun and foster repeat playings.

If it were me, I'd offer Twilight Struggle and Rommel in the Desert. If he seems overwhelmed, I'll switch gears and go with a light game of Memoir '44.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.