Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the "Surge" Situation, even though I can't beat it. This time around I'm playing "Rapid Deployment" against Iran. Day 4 just started and I already have 22 Victory Points which gains my squadrons an evaluation of "Good".

If I were a real commander in charge of real men I wouldn't take the colossal risks necessary to gain the 10 VP's needed for a "Great" score, I'd probably just let my pilots rest a full day cause they've earned it. If I send them in to battle for more points then it's just a game. Like Mr Miyagi said, I fight "...for life, not for points."

Which is why I like the "Surge" so much even though I hate it- it drives you, you have to take risks or else the whole Mission ends in failure (at least during the first two days). The pressure isn't really on you in "Rapid Deployment".

How are the other Situations? Any suggestions on what I should try next? "General War" looks like something I'm not ready for yet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make up reasons. Maybe those batallions you're avoiding attacking because you're letting your men rest are about to overrun friendly positions. The death toll will be much higher if you don't engage them. I always go for a Great Evaluation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:

If I were a real commander in charge of real men I wouldn't take the colossal risks necessary to gain the 10 VP's needed for a "Great" score,

sometimes ego / ambition / overconfidence can drove a commander with lust for victory , to heck with casualties..

like the stupid assault on Tarawa WW2..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I've answered my own question- "Cut Off" has nothing to do with points and everything to do with bloodshed and survival.

As part of a desperate attempt to stop multiple Battalions from advancing to Friendly Rear, I had Daddy-O take on an entire Battalion single-handed in his AH-64D. He managed to destroy the whole Battalion by himself! (with a whole lot of help from MLRS Bombardment) And I still lost! Too many enemies advanced and I couldn't pay the steep SO-Point cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.