Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really despise the way the time/turn track works. Often I forget to even advance it. I would FAR prefer a set number of turns ala Castles of Burgundy. Has anyone tried a different method?

Side note: I saw this topic come up but the post was from 2011 and nobody said whether they tried an alternate way to keep track of turns/time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The time track is essential, especially in a two player game. It's quite brilliant and allows players to play with the tempo of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Side note: I saw this topic come up but the post was from 2011 and nobody said whether they tried an alternate way to keep track of turns/time.

you mean this one?

The Gearing of the Time Track

you are allowed to reply to even 4 year old threads imho it's much better than creating a new thread, now the info is spread out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
I really despise the way the time/turn track works. Often I forget to even advance it.

I've seen another suggestion somewhere that instead of using the white disc to track time, you have each person place one of their meeples on the time track. When a player moves, advance that color meeple a number of steps ahead of the previous player. Thus if you forget to advance the track, its much easier to see how many actions you've forgotten to move it and possibly trace where the marker ought to be. Obviously this doesn't solve the problem if you don't like the time mechanic itself, but if the issue is just forgetting, this tends to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh, thank God! I was using a "next time someone posts a thread disliking the published game's time track" as an end game trigger. Finally I can end this 4-year game of Trajan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Sonicwarhol wrote:
I really despise the way the time/turn track works. Often I forget to even advance it.

I've seen another suggestion somewhere that instead of using the white disc to track time, you have each person place one of their meeples on the time track. When a player moves, advance that color meeple a number of steps ahead of the previous player.

I like this as an alternative, I will try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn order can have an impact in higher player number games. There was a thread only last week that accounted for the discrepancy of the first player getting a bonus by drawing the four goal tiles and allowing the last player first pick, through to the first player taking the one that is left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The time track is a very significant and integral part of this game. If you don't like that, then fair enough, but you need a new game, not a new mechanic.

Coming soon "Play Trajan without a mancala..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
The time track is a very significant and integral part of this game. If you don't like that, then fair enough, but you need a new game, not a new mechanic.

Coming soon "Play Trajan without a mancala..."

Or chess without horses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's how we do and we NEVER forget to move the time marker:

1) When seeding markers, place them on the ACTION ICONS at the center of your mancala, not directly in the trays. This way you can always rearrange them before the end of your turn -or before you've drawn any cards- and you won't forget step #4.
2) Resolve Trajan tile, if applicable.
3) Resolve action(s).
4) Only once you have entirely finished your turn, move your markers from the action icons into the trays. As you do this, say out loud how many markers you have moved this round. There should be one player in charge of the time marker, moving it every time a player calls out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good tip. I played again today I did what someone suggested of putting a small soldier for each player on the time track so you would know that you forgot to move the track based on where the marker was, not explains how it works but anyway, used that method and it helped a lot. Your suggestion is good also and I can incorporate it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.