Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the huge list. I actually found the game extremely well put together and easily learned. Most the questions are fairly obscure, and I think I know the answers to most them (and don't mind playing with what makes sense or house rules that players agree on). But having played with rules-lawyers in games where different interpretations of obscure rule wordings have caused issues, I thought I'd ask for the creator's official ruling or thoughts in advance.

Official creator guidance shown in BLUE

1. Spell Ranges: Range counts from the hex that the Lord is in during Advance Spells phase, right? I expect this to be so, but thematically the spell could either be charging within the Lord, or be immediately cast (pseudo-secretly) in a hex and have a delayed effect.

The lord chooses a target unit within the range of the spell at the time the effect happens. If the spell advances as separate attack values, those are a separate attack that can be made by perpetuating the spell, in which case a new target may be selected. If the spell advances as only the spell icon, the effect continues on the original target.

2. Fleshcrafting: What happens if villagers (or the Lord) have moved into both targeted hexes (after attacks hit)? Normally multiple units can't be in same hex, hence the question. Does golem appear in the same hex as a villager, nearest adjacent hex, or just not appear at all? Or should hex be declared when attacks succeed, and movement into them be banned (i.e. there is flesh congealing in that space...no on wants to be there)?

The golem appears in the nearest unoccupied hex.

3. Golem Health: I'm assuming that all stats = 2 means Speed, Range, and Strength = 2. Is golem's Health also 2? If so, should this be tracked with a spare counter on Tracker? What about Cost?

Yes. No health counter was provided, but you could track it if you need to with the alternately-framed health marker. The assumption was that both you and your opponent would simply remember whether it had already been hit once.

4. Spell Limit: I see that there are 6 Web counters / Lord-color, and the back of the counters have A,B,C (and a second set saying "lose turn"...pity the A/B/C isn't on the front too, but with only 3 it shouldn't be too hard to keep track). This makes sense as only 3 webs can exist at a time on the track. But there are currently only 2 golems and 2 haunting counters per color. Does this mean a max of 2 golems at a time (or only 1 if a counter is used for health tracking)? Haunting seems to be permanent; does that mean a max of 2 haunted spaces? Or 5 skeletons at a time?

No, to all three. The counter limit was a matter of practicality because of space and weight limitations for the game.

5. Spells per Turn: Can you only cast 1 spell per turn? One of each? Unlimited? There seems to be enough counters to have one per space on the Magic Track, so I'd assume at most one of each (and played allowing one of each), but nothing appears to specify one way or another.

You can cast any number of spells each turn, so long as you have enough souls to power them all. But each spell can only have one counter in a box. So for example you can cast Curse & Plague four turns in a row if you want, but you cannot cast it four times in one turn. This is an important part of why spells advance on the tracker before you cast new spells. Advancing them opens up the beginning space on the spell tracker for you to cast a new spell and lay down another counter.

6. Curse/Plague costs: Rules say that lord must immediately pay Souls or spell ends. But this is after a sentence saying "resolve spell effects immediately". In case of curse, if I pay 1 initially then run out of souls before the second payment, do I get the first attack? It makes sense that it would, (each soul would be paying for the next attack:cast cost pays for attack on turn 2, turn 2 upkeep cost pays for turn 3 attack, turn 3 upkeep cost pays for turn 4 attack), but rules could be interpreted (and icon order seems to imply) that if turn 2 soul isn't paid, spell ends before the first attack.

The costs and effects occur in the order they are printed, from top to bottom, left to right. So for Curse & Plague, you pay one soul on turn 1, then a second on turn 2 before the first attack occurs. If you cannot pay this soul, the spell ends without any further effects.

7. Buildings: Rules say attacks can only be made into buildings from entrance hex. Does this mean that spell attacks can't be made from range > 1? Or does the attack simply have to be made through the entrance hex-side (based on line between hex centers, with ties going to defender)? In either case, only Haunt spell and Engineer explosives (and creatures) ignore this limitation? What about Banshee scream?

Correct, spells cannot be cast into a building beyond range 1. The assumption is that the townsfolk know their town better than the lord of the dead does, so they are hiding, etc. The only exception to this is Haunt, because that spell does not target a unit, but rather a hex. The lord of the dead can clearly see the building he is Haunting, so there is no limitation there. Engineer explosives ignore this in a way: they destroy the building. So there is no cover for the unit inside, and it is hit as if it were in the open.

8. Diceless and Monsters: Do creatures only appear if attacker plays a 6, or if either player plays a 6 (normally there would only be one dice roll per attack). Who picks the card to control the creature movement (the town, the Lord, or alternating)? I was thinking both play a card (to keep number of cards even), then highest gets to pick direction.

The diceless option is intended to remove the randomness from an individual player's actions, to even the playing field, so to speak. The monsters could still be controlled by die rolls. However, if you want a fully diceless game, the monster would appear if the attacker drew a 6, just as with the die roll. To determine the direction of monster movement, use the third deck, and draw randomly.

9. Creatures: Rules say to add creatures from top. There's 3 spiders and 3 bat swarms. I'm assuming all three of a type are added before the first of the next type? (so 3 bats and 3 spiders must be present on board before the first wolf appears?) When placed by Town, they can place it anywhere (following specified rules)?

Yes. The monsters appear in order of danger, so the intent is that the more dangerous monsters appear in the late game.

10. Line of Sight: Do forests or buildings affect anything behind them? i.e. can Foresters attack a Lord at full strength if there's a forest in between? Buildings block attacks on those within, but do they also prevent attacks on those behind them? I played that you couldn't move through a building hex as Lord as part of a 2 or 3 hex move (unless you could enter properly then exit), but not sure if attacks are affected.

The only blocked line of sight is for a defender inside a building; he is considered to be "hiding," if you will. Because the counters on a hex map are a static representation of a dynamic process, assume that each unit is moving back and forth within the confines of that hex, maneuvering for the best angle, leaning to peer around corners, and the like. Buildings and trees would therefore not block line of sight.

11. Creature Movement: Does a creature move the full distance in a single direction, or is the die rolled for each hex moved? Once sensing a target (range 1 for spiders), is it correct to say that the spiders wouldn't move further (since they're already adjacent)? Or should sensing range be 1 higher (so a spider could sense a unit two hexes away, moving 1 hex into attack range)? If a unit moves out of sensing range (for example, a knight runs from a wolf, which could in theory catch up using total move of 5, or a Wise One just walks away from a Spider), or a different unit moves in between, does creature choose a new target or switch back to passive? How are targets chosen if multiple exist (I'd assume closest first, but there could be multiple at a single distance).

Roll the die once, move the monster up to its full movement in the indicated direction. If his movement is interrupted by coming within the sense range of another unit, the monster immediately stops his normal movement, and instead charges and attacks the sensed unit. The spider would not move any further, because it is already adjacent to the target. Spiders are lazy. Monsters will continue to pursue and attack relentlessly. In the event that a monster cannot reach its original target, it will attack the unit that is blocking its target. That unit becomes its new target.

12. Life Leeching: Is there any effect if a creature is attacked? It's stated that anything missing a trait has it at 1 (so it'd be conceivable that Lord would get one health). I'd assuming friendly fire (minions) also wouldn't result in gained health (though it's not explicitly stated).

13. Engineers: Can an engineer hit an individual hex, or must he target either a hex side or a corner. Text implies the latter, but it's unclear.

14. Spells and units with health greater than 1: I know it's not an issue now, but if additional units were added with health > 1, would spells like Life Leech, Call to the Grave, or Fleshcrafting instantly kill them? Or would they give the extra effects only if delivering the final blow?

15. Attacks with Multiple Targets: Is die rolled once for all targets, or each target have a separate roll (all or nothing vs partial effect)? Example: does a banshee either always completely clear the area around it, or could it affect only some of the units. Ditto with Engineer or Eldritch Horror. I'd think separate, since one or more might be in a building or forest, but language is unclear.

16. Banshee: Do Banshee attacks cause friendly fire? I.e. if there is minion adjacent, is it attacked? I know that engineers can cause friendly fire, but they also have more control of their exact target.

17. Elder Horror: By splitting attack, does that mean 1x 4 Strength, or 2x 2 Str, or 1x 3 Str + 1x 1 Str...etc? I'm assuming you can't attack the same target multiple times (since it states multiple targets)?

18. Shadow Wraith: Is it still affected by building entry / barrier limitations?

19. Shaman: Shaman affect creatures only (and not minions), right? So they're only applicable when playing with advanced creature rules?

20. Haunt: What happens if target building is surrounded or there are units / river on far side of building (rules say occupant moves away from Lord)?

21. Web of Darkness: I think this may have been answered as no, but can Webs affect units in buildings from any direction? (i.e. are they cast on the hex, or a unit)? Depending on the answer, can they be cast on an empty hex (to keep units from using it)? If webbed unit dies, does web vanish?

22. Giant Spiders: Do webs cast by spiders last 3 turns, or only one? Are they cast if spider is "passive" (no target)...if so, where? If a target is sensed after moving, does spider immediately cast (or cast while attacking) or does it do so only before moving the next turn (similar to Lord)? Is web cast at Str 4/Rng 2 (as spell), or Str 2/Rng 1 (spider stats)?

23. Soul Gain: Does the Lord receive the Soul of a villager killed by a creature?

Separately, I found in my gameplay that casting Life Leach (only 2 souls) when near (2-3 hexes away from) the graveyard and hitting a Knight or Forester gave enough health (at least half) to give a pretty easy win. Is this to be expected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls