tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered where Animaniacs got this from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty good, but speaking as somebody who actually wrote up papers on a manual typewriter, a big part of the fun was watching the little hammers all jam up when you press the keys too fast. I hope the author adds this feature!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I love Leroy Anderson! He was such a talented composer and conductor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
If you judge it as a musical piece it wasn't bad... but as a written composition, it wasn't very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof.

I learned to type on an electric typewriter (the ball, not the individual hammer). Man, have my skills eroded in regards to clean typing. I'm sloppy and use the backspace way too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
If you judge it as a musical piece it wasn't bad... but as a written composition, it wasn't very good.
I don't know how else to judge music but as its intended final product. Was it a bit of performance art? Sure. But it was fun and musical, just like The Syncopated Clock. Blue Tango is one of my favorites and he had other excellent compositions like Belle of the Ball, Trumpeter's Lullaby, and Fiddle-Faddle. And don't forget Sleigh Ride, one of the best commercial Christmas songs ever. I'm a big fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
I don't know how else to judge music but as its intended final product. Was it a bit of performance art? Sure. But it was fun and musical, just like The Syncopated Clock. Blue Tango is one of my favorites and he had other excellent compositions like Belle of the Ball, Trumpeter's Lullaby, and Fiddle-Faddle. And don't forget Sleigh Ride, one of the best commercial Christmas songs ever. I'm a big fan.

I think he's making a joke about whatever was typed on the typewriter, rather than the written musical composition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really listen to this at work right now, but I'm disappointed to see that at the end of the performance he didn't hold up what he typed. How awesome would it have been if he's actually typed something out, like a story in paragraph form with punctuation and whatnot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
I think he's making a joke about whatever was typed on the typewriter, rather than the written musical composition.
Oh, if that's the case, it's a pretty good joke. Just don't get me riled up about my boy Leroy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
It's pretty good, but speaking as somebody who actually wrote up papers on a manual typewriter, a big part of the fun was watching the little hammers all jam up when you press the keys too fast. I hope the author adds this feature!
And, unless it's an urban legend, I believe that's the very reason the QWERTY keyboard was invented, to try and reduce efficiency to reduce jamming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

It's just a page of B's and V's with no vowels at all. Where's the plot? Who's the protagonist? It totally failed as any sort of story for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
wmshub wrote:
And, unless it's an urban legend, I believe that's the very reason the QWERTY keyboard was invented, to try and reduce efficiency to reduce jamming

I've heard that was an urban myth indeed. Also that the tests showing the dvorjak being more efficient were conducted by... the guy who made the keyboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
I wondered where Animaniacs got this from!
I'm pretty sure they used a number of Leroy Anderson pieces. Nice list above--dip into YouTube.

While the ability of qwerty to avoid jams--or it being the best keyboard to avoid jams--is dubious, that doesn't mean that factor wasn't part of the design and patent; that's unclear. It seems that being able to type "typewriter" using the top row is unlikely to be accidental. It's also unclear whether Dvorak is the best alternative. Now, we could look through everything typed on the internet and make a very sound faster keyboard; whether it would catch on is another thing.

When typewriters were used, I worked in a department that had a secretary--really, she did far more logistics than strict secretarial work--who could halt pretty much all work in the department by typing on her Selectric. She could type 120-150 words per minute, making her Selectric sound like a damn chain gun. Open office, of course. Usually she slowed down so as to not disrupt work.

Here are some things that changed when computer typewriters came in, notably ASCII character code:
1 was no longer lower case el
O was no longer an oh
! was its own key instead of apostrophe over-striking period
You could no longer get a cents sign (¢) by c over-struck with slash.
You could no longer get a division sign (÷) by hyphen plus colon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Here are some things that changed when computer typewriters came in, notably ASCII character code:
1 was no longer lower case el
O was no longer an oh
! was its own key instead of apostrophe over-striking period
You could no longer get a cents sign (¢) by c over-struck with slash.
You could no longer get a division sign (÷) by hyphen plus colon.
The manual I used to use did indeed have no "1" or "0" keys, but as I remember it did have !, ¢, and (I think) ÷. I'm sure it varied from model to model on what exact characters were represented by their own hammers.

On second thought maybe it had a 0? But I know it had no 1, I remember finding that annoying because lower case L is a pretty poor looking 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noony noony noo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
...lower case L is a pretty poor looking 1.
Well, it's not like they were close to having the font capabilities we have now. (The late Selectrics could change font balls and had proportional fonts.) In any case: 1l1l1l1ll1--it's just a slight shape change on the top serif.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The History of the Typewriter,
Recited by Michael Winslow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

The most "fun" part of using manual typewriters is when the bell rings when you're in the middle of a long word and you have a fraction of a second to decide whether to hyphenate or go for it. I liked to live dangerously and used up a whole lot of correction paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I've heard that was an urban myth indeed. Also that the tests showing the dvorjak being more efficient were conducted by... the guy who made the keyboard.
The QWERTY keyboard is definitely not very efficient; the most commonly used letters are placed in places that the hands have to "reach" to get to them, or are under less-nimble fingers.

I don't know that Dvorak is any better, but there are definitely ways to make more efficient keyboards than QWERTY, despite my having a pretty high typing proficiency with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Brings back memories. I can almost smell the ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Leezer wrote:
Brings back memeories. I can almost smelt the ink.
zombie~"what's 'memeories smelt' precious-s-s-s-s-s-?..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
Leezer wrote:
Brings back memeories. I can almost smelt the ink.
zombie~"what's 'memeories smelt' precious-s-s-s-s-s-?..."
PO-TYPE-TOES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |