Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris S
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XenoShyft is a game that looked good to me and got some good reviews. I was happy to see the app and bought it. I've been playing some solo games and there is so much to like, but the game just ends up being terrible for me for one reason. Almost every single game has been either clearly impossible to win or stupidly easy to win. Get a bad hand of cards and a bad set of enemies? Just pack it in, there's nothing you can do. On the other hand in my last game I was using the Med Bay. In the 3 rounds of Wave 3, I only lost 1 troop, and that was by choice. (My combo was a Hyperion equipped with templar armor and chainsaw with a field medic and medpacks/stimpacks to back him up.) It was fun for a moment that I found this ridiculous combo but almost instantly switched to boring as the Hyperion would consistently mow down two wave 3 baddies without having been touched. That was the most ridiculous win, but others were also very easy.

Does playing multiplayer address this issue much or at all?

I don't know. The game has great theme and a lot of great ideas. I just hope someone can come up with a variant to address this. If there was a good variant I'd seriously consider buying the game (and I don't buy many).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Agreed... The enemies obviously play a part in how hard the game is but what it seems to come down to more than anything though is the available equipment and the role you pick. I hadn't thought about it much but maybe what is needed is some sort of ranking of the equipment cards (either each individually or put them into a certain class system like the enemies). Each role will also be given an allocation of point so when choosing your equipment you get to spend/use those points to select the equipment. Add in some handicap points for when you play w/ less than 4 people and maybe that'll help balance things out a bit.

Obviously not going to be able to do this w/ the app though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the swinginess can be reduced by playing with more players. First, your base gets more life, so can absorb more attacks, and B, other players can come to your aid if your card flop is bad and theirs is not.

That being said, I find the worst offenders are the bosses. Basically, if they come up in a regular game, you are basically toast. Game over. However, if you already have board control, i.e. built up forces, then they add a challenge to a game that is essentially dull at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I think the App should allow Solo play with two divisions. Like you would in a physical game. Because playing solo with 1 division is considerably more difficult than playing solo with divisions. You're options and strategic planning is doubled, it mitigates the agressively randomness of it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing, I felt the same. Now, don't think the game has swings that are too drastic. Once you get to know the enemies in each wave and which items and troops are best, you can elimiminate the ridiculously impossible feeling. The game difficulty can also be changed depending on which division you choose. For example, I have found that the Barracks is a little harder to win with than Science Lab or Command Center. Of course, as with most card game, the there is still a random element that can occasionally swing things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game tonight. Two players. Science and medical buildings. Base health at 30.

My first impression was that the enemies for each wave was fairly even. Sure, some were worse, but not by so much that it became unpredictable and too swingy. No set of four enemies felt way harder than the others from the same wave.

The game felt ridiculously hard though and we were mercilessly crushed in round four or five.

But the good thing about this game is that you can adjust the difficulty so easily by giving the base more health per player to tailor the gaming experience to suit your group's needs.

I liked it a lot and look forward to more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang I was hoping it might be better solo.

It has the same issue with multiplayer. Yet I still haven't played a game where we've even close to losing. We won with at least half our life left, but most on our life lost came up 1 or 2 rounds that were unusually unlucky draws.

The game had so much potential, but sadly it doesn't follow through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
I think the App should allow Solo play with two divisions. Like you would in a physical game. Because playing solo with 1 division is considerably more difficult than playing solo with divisions. You're options and strategic planning is doubled, it mitigates the agressively randomness of it all.

Just in case you are still following this thread, the app totally does. The UI for it is a little weird because it looks like the wrong division is always active, but it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:
Dark63 wrote:

Just in case you are still following this thread, the app totally does. The UI for it is a little weird because it looks like the wrong division is always active, but it works.

Yep. I haven't tried it yet. This was added in a recent update. Looks like they'll take the app seriously which is a great sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.