Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb

Tonight on GameNight! Nikki, Aaron, Dave, and Lincoln play Royals designed by Peter Hawes and published by ABACUSSPIELE.

Thanks for watching and please subscribe to us on YouTube - with more subscribers we get more freedom in how we run the channel.

http://youtube.com/boardgamegeektv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was secretly one of the games I wanted you guys to do an episode on the most. I'm pretty intrigued by this game and really appreciate to see it played now authentically. Can't wait to watch this episode tonight

Keep it up and thanks a ton for providing those amazing videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow. Is it just me or did Aaron seem close to tears during his post game impressions?

Hope he likes Ep17s game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an interesting game (adding to my wishlist), simple yet deep enough. At the same time I can see that keeping up with all scoring options could be a hustle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the dissenting opinion. I've been interested in this game for a while, so watching it played plus Aaron's thoughts at the end just gave me a little more to think about. Great ep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is on my watch list but, after seeing Aaron's frustration, I may pass on it. I am very susceptible to frustration.

My game group doesn't meet that often and we haven't played over 75% of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Oh, wow, this may be my favorite GameNight! episode ever (other than the ones where I get to join you!).

I love the dissenting opinion and discussion. I don't even agree with Aaron, but I liked hearing his point of view. I've only played Royals once, and I liked it instantly. Then again, I already count Web of Power and Thurn & Taxis among my very favorites. (Also, in contrast to Dave, I think Royals really IS WoP-on-steroids. Our mutual friend DaveO says Royals feels like a Schacht game, and I'd agree with that, too.)

I'm not as certain about the comparison to Hansa Teutonica, a game that has just too much going on for me to enjoy, despite the euro-theming I typically like. (Or was Aaron thinking of Hansa? That's another game like WoP/T&T that I love.) Also, it was surprising to hear Aaron describe his frustration as "point salad." I guess in all of these games there are varieties of ways of scoring points. I've mostly heard the term in connection with more complex games from Feld, though, where I thought it referred to the machinations one has to do with various resources in order to convert things to points. THAT I find frustating, while just picking up points from the board through placement (as in Royals or T&T) is pleasant.

Don't take the fact that I'm disagreeing with Aaron on almost every point to mean anything. It's a game discussion, and I really enjoy it. I've given up on getting Aaron to play Hansa again (just like he doesn't suggest Arkham Horror with me!), and now with Royals I'll seek out Lincoln & Nikki. Dave is welcome to beat me in ANY of these games.

-Mark

P.S. I also loved Dave's 5-second attempt at the start of the game to stick with the theme. Felt like that was for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hats off to Aaron for explaining his negative opinion. I've never played this game, however hearing negative criticism can certainly help gamers make their choices and his opinion is just as valid as any positive one. A game won't please everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Perhaps I should also add--

Though I appreciated the dissenting opinion, I also like that you guys ordinarily focus on games you enjoy. This is a hobby of smiling and friendship, after all. No sense playing a game that everyone doesn't like. (Or maybe that's ok, but no need to put it on-camera.) I assume you turn down some games because you know they aren't a good fit for your group, and that's in order to keep the show primarily positive. That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kinda put off with this game for some reason (the theme maybe?), and I'm not a Web of Power (China?) guy. I'd probably agree with Aaron in playing it. But I really did enjoy watching this GameNight nonetheless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to watch it now and see what Aaron thought about it. I've only played it once, and thought they had over-egged the pudding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Lost and aloof are the loves of my past -- Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I kind of want to watch it. He's so zen most of the time. shake

It seemed kind of plain, like a less cohesive version of Ticket to Ride, so I didn't watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
It seemed kind of plain, like a less cohesive version of Ticket to Ride, so I didn't watch it.

I watched Aaron's comments, then re-read mine from back in April. They match pretty well. I like Aaron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Aaron would tell us what he really thinks.

Yeah, funny, I could not sit through the whole game as a spectator and skipped ahead. I think I'm team Aaron on this one (except I like Thurn and Taxis).

Dave as usual does such a great job explaining games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The term "point salad" sounds so innocuous, I assumed it was. Is it a term used only by people who don't like Feld-style games? Or do his fans embrace it? "Mmmmm... that point salad really hit the spot"

Some great goofiness all-around, love the banter, awesome Gamenight! Nice to read Mark Johnson in the comments - when's he back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember having a similar, overwhelming experience when I first played Royals. It seemed that there was a lot to keep track of at first. But after the first scoring round, I didn't have any problems. Everything I wasn't focusing on cleared away and I stuck to what I was trying to do rather than trying to match everyone else.

If you attempt to switch gears too often or try to get involved with everything to deny points to other players, you're probably going to do poorly. If you focus on just a few scoring areas and pick your moments to strike back at other players, the game is much more enjoyable. I'm looking to pick this up for the NA release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
rosehip wrote:
The term "point salad" sounds so innocuous, I assumed it was. Is it a term used only by people who don't like Feld-style games? Or do his fans embrace it? "Mmmmm... that point salad really hit the spot"

Some great goofiness all-around, love the banter, awesome Gamenight! Nice to read Mark Johnson in the comments - when's he back?

Loving point salads is literally a badge of honor - mb

Of course, if you think it is a negative : mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching this, I was just thinking to myself "my god, that has to be the most dry, point salad looking game I've ever seen". It might be the first game I've seen GameNight! do where I didn't want to run out and get it (which I've actually done, way too many times).

And I find the map/board dreadful.

They didn't look like they were having as much fun as they usually do, so when the opinions started with Nikki: "I liked it", and Dave: "Me too!", I was genuinely surprised. Thankfully, Aaron came through.

edit:
All that being said, I'm not saying other people wouldn't/shouldn't enjoy it, or that I don't appreciate the time and effort to make this... I do. It's obviously just not my thing. GameNight is still batting like 99% in my book, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate your thoughtful discussion at the end. While this is a game I enjoy quite a bit, I understand Aaron's frustrations. I suspect that his opinion might moderate with more plays. But, either way, this was another excellent episode. Thanks for all the work you guys put into making the show.

Oh, and it's too bad that Mark Johnson wasn't involved in the episode featuring an old-school Euro with a historical theme. Seems like his cup of tea.

Thanks again.

Edit: Should have read the previous comments before posting. I see now that Mark has already weighed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron's analysis exactly fit mine. I am totally frustrated when there are more than 5-6 things you have to keep up with at the same time. I was overwhelmed with La Granja, using the cards in Agricola, all of the different gods in Tribune, etc. When there are a ton of different things to keep track of my mind shuts down.

Now - I happen to love Terra Mystica! Strange. But TM seems so intuitive that it plays much more simply, to me, than La Granja or using the cards in Agricola.

Finally - I also kept comparing the game to Web of Power. I thought WoP, however, is simpler than Royals. But, for me, the game scoring (not the game - I liked the simplicity of the mechanic - but all of the levels of scoring) just didn't seem to work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hammack
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to watching this, and more to the point hearing Aaron's opinions. I suppose that is because most of the time you guys play games you enjoy it.

In fact, in my private cannon whenever Aaron didn't show up it was his way of telling people he doesn't like the game.

You know what game I would love you guys to play? Princes of Florence, and maybe El Grande.

Well thanks for doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb
hedonisticnihil wrote:
In fact, in my private cannon whenever Aaron didn't show up it was his way of telling people he doesn't like the game.

Don't read too much into that, Aaron is just more busy these days. Most of the time we aren't even sure what we will play until we sit down.

Thanks for watching and for the note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Finally - I also kept comparing the game to Web of Power. I thought WoP, however, is simpler than Royals. But, for me, the game scoring (not the game - I liked the simplicity of the mechanic - but all of the levels of scoring) just didn't seem to work for me.

Royals has been on my inteest list for some time, but my fear was that the game would end up being too simple. After watching the video, I think the various scoring options provide a good balance to the simplicity of actions. I look forward to playing it. I totally respect Frank's position, but I think I will have an opposite reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best end of game discussion of any episode yet!

While it's great when everyone loves the game since you know everyone had a good time, it's much better for lively discussion when there's stuff people didn't like about the game. Also, some people might love the game for the very reason Aaron hated it, so it's a great opinion to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Carvalho
Portugal
Madeira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I think it's my 1st time commenting on GameNight! so let me congratulate you guys on this great show!

I enjoyed this episode and the different opinions at the end. This game seems a lot to Thurn & Taxis to me (which is a game I moderately enjoy) and most of the pros and cons of royals (which I never played) that were mentioned can be seen in T&T.

I agree that both these games can be harsh if you don't get the cards you need, and I really don't think you can change course on your strategy, especially towards the end where you need to get to specific towns. Also I partly agree with the "point salad" argument because having several ways to make points can lead to some AP and I really don't feel that trying to specialize on a couple of ways to get points (long term planning) will be any better than just trying to score in every direction each turn according to your hand (short term planning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.