BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Family 4-player board (not card) game (kids 7 and 9) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: advice [+] family [+] [View All]
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family is living overseas for 5 months and we are finding ourselves with more time together than usual. We have packed a number of travel-friendly card games as we normally mainly play quick, light card games, but find ourselves wishing we had brought along a slightly more substantial game to gather around in the evenings.

Games we have brought:

Love Letter
Archaeology the Card Game
Monopoly Deal
Qwirkle
Jaipur
Sleeping Queens
Nobody but us Chickens
Cockroach Poker
For Sale
Rory's Story Cubes

I also have with me but have not yet introduced:

Dixit (birthday present for my 7yo daughter in September)
Sushi Go
Brave Rats (2-player)
Biblios (I foresee mainly 2- or 3-player games, as I doubt the 7yo will be interested)

But what I feel we are missing is something that could last perhaps 45 minutes or so, that could involve the whole family.

My 9yo son will play and enjoy any gateway-level game (his favourites at home would include TTR Europe and Forbidden Island), whereas the 7yo prefers easy rules, little required reading and not so strategic game play (she is not interested in TTR yet). My husband is not into coops.

I am thinking that some form of racing/roll-and-move with a nice board might be a good compromise that would keep everyone interested. I have been tempted by Jamaica, but have my doubts as some people seem to find it tedious...

Another alternative might be Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, but I am not convinced that the whole family would like the puzzle-oriented game-play...

High levels of interaction/take-that would be good. Also, I don't want to duplicate anything from my collection at home.

Hoping for some great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Galaxy Trucker and Takenoko are highly interactive and great family games with unique components and gameplay.

Although I've never played it, Camel Up might fit your racing/nice board criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
For that age, check out Zooloretto Junior

Yes, I really regret not having taken that along, it would probably have been perfect! It's (still unplayed) in our collection at home but unfortunately not with us here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Elfenland
Yspahan
Tobago
Via Appia
Marrakech
Scotland Yard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is great for 4. Light rules, looks great, there's a map and spatial aspect, and a lot of take that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My daughter is 9 and son is 7. This is what we play the most with the kids.

Ticket to Ride
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Castle Panic
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
Drakon
Qwirkal
Takenoko
River Dragons
King of Tokyo

I have Jamaica, the kids both like the art and theme but just did not click. My wife and I both enjoyed it I plan on trying it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
chaelm wrote:

High levels of interaction/take-that would be good. Also, I don't want to duplicate anything from my collection at home.

Have a look at Labyrinth. It was a lot of fun to play with my wife and son, and incredibly cutthroat when I played it with my regular gaming buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo sounds like a perfect fit here. Machi Koro might also be used good pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Keith
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter loves playing Rampage (now Terror in Meeple City) with my wife and I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mako Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe...

Colt Express
A la carte
Formula D
Pony Express
TransAmerica
Marrakech
10 Days in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clinz30 wrote:
Although I've never played it, Camel Up might fit your racing/nice board criteria.

Camel Up is exactly what I thought when the suggestion was a racing game (though it's actually a betting game) which will fit the 45 minutes time requirement neatly. It can be played a bit strategically for those who like that sort of thing but still easily understood and enjoyed by those who don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Reimschiissel
United States
Minneola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are 7 and 10 and some of our most played are:

Takenoko
Survive
Love letter
Black Fleet
Jamaica
Sheepland
For Sale
Agricola Family rules
King of New York
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloud 9
Lost Cities: The Board Game
10 Days in Africa
Click Clack Lumberjack
Diamant
Can't Stop
Kingsburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big +1 to Labyrinth! Of all the board games I played as a kid, this is the one that has stood the test of time and is still in my collection. There are also slight rule variants that even the playing field when playing with a mixed group of adults and kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jamaica sounds like it would be a fine fit and we've enjoyed it.

Additionally King of Tokyo came to mind (I'd select this over New York given what you said about rules/strategy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities: The Board Game is perfect for what you are looking for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for lots of good suggestions.

I should probably have linked to my collection on here in my original post, not sure how to do it though. We already have TTR Europe, King of Tokyo, Labyrinth and some of the other games suggested back at home, I should have made this clear from the start.

Very interested in Takenoko but since TTR Europe is still slightly too complex for my 7yo, I think we probably need to wait another year or so with Takenoko, as I've gathered the complexity level is quite similar.

Will look into the following more closely:

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Jamaica
Camel Up

Would anyone who has played all three have any opinion on how these games can be compared in terms of complexity?

Many thanks again, and any other suggestions welcome too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:

Not quite sure about this if it is at all similar to Lost Cities? The latter is definitely too abstract and dry for my 7yo and doesn't really have the level of interaction I'm looking for... But I'll look it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak highly enough about Trekking the National Parks: First Edition! This is our newest (and now favorite) family board game and it has hit the table many time already. We get request for it from the kids almost daily. We love our National Parks and visit different ones often. I know you are not in the US, but the theme is what has really drawn the kids into this game.

With that said, the mechanics are great as well, and is very easy to teach and play. There is set collection, hand management, card drafting and point to point movement. It is similar to ticket to ride, but my family prefers playing this. This game definitely hits many of the things you are wanting in a game. It plays up to 6, and plays very well with 4. It takes 30-45 minutes and is a great family game!

The one drawback is that it can only be ordered on the website: http://www.trektheparks.com/. However the website also has some very good videos of the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Big +1 for Survive.

Also check out Dungeon!, a simple competitive dungeon crawl where you are racing to get the most treasure by beating up monsters. My brothers and I loved it when we were kids, and my nieces and nephews love it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if The Downfall of Pompeii is still available anywhere. Lots of player interaction. No reading. Great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaelm wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

Not quite sure about this if it is at all similar to Lost Cities? The latter is definitely too abstract and dry for my 7yo and doesn't really have the level of interaction I'm looking for... But I'll look it up!

I don't like Lost Cities the card game at all. The board game has a similar card playing mechanism but feels a lot different. You should def check it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think that I have narrowed it down to Camel Up or Survive: Escape from Atlantis, but am having difficulties choosing between the two. Might someone be able to help with a good reason to buy the one rather than the other (keeping in mind that one player is a not-so-strategically-oriented 7yo)?

(And I am keeping Lost Cities: the Boardgame in mind, it does look good, thanks for the rec.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
For us, Survive was fun at first but quickly became repetitive and boring. Also, it is a mean game so depending on the personality of the players, some people can get very frustrated and their feelings can get hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |