Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone tried not removing the base game monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the expansion, haven't played it yet, just read the rules. I dislike the idea of removing so many monsters from the base game... has anyone tried playing with all of them? Does it have any negative effect (other than making it longer), like making it too easy with new monsters coming up more rarely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both times I've played the game using every token, I've lost. Based on that, I would say it makes the game more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Both times I've played the game using every token, I've lost. Based on that, I would say it makes the game more challenging.
Oh, that's actually not bad, I was afraid the extra goblins would make it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like playing with the expansion just the way it's set up in the rule book.

The last time we played we were down to one tower left. I can't imagine trying to play (and win) with all of the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack elfrink
United States
McKees Rocks
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do this.

You are correct about making the game harder. But I also should point out it makes the game longer as well. It does sort of cause the game to drag on a bit. Outstaying its welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with all the cards as well, BUT we've set our hand (2 player game) to consist of 6 castle cards and 1 wizard card. Every turn we replenish the cards to have 6-1 cards.

It brings the game to a balace!

PS: With all the monsters, for 2 players, it's about 2:30 hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Matchain
msg tools
I do this sometimes. It does make it more challenging, but it adds so much more play time--which sometimes isn't very good for me. Another thing that has happened to me is:

Strong monsters overwhelming me at the start, and once that is done with, I'm left drawing only goblins and orcs, so it makes it seem like the latter half of the game is just picking off the weaklings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also considered doing the same thing, then I played it. Setting it up as the rules suggest gives it better balance IMO. Considering the randomness of the bosses and when you get the Imp per tower token as well as hydra and conjurer, you get enough 1-2 hit point heroes. That and there are monsters that don't take damage in certain circles plus the flying gargoyles and phoenix gives it just enough to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls