Subject: Which Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently play KoT with my daughter(s) and was wondering, which (if any) expansion is most worthwhile?

My first thought is Power Up, but have heard that is not so good with two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Ohn
Denmark
Ry (Gl. Rye)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only played with the Power Up expansion and I can highly recommend that. It adds a lot of flavor and makes it matter which monster you choose. Generally I think the game works best with at least 3 players, which in my opinion is not changed by Power Up.

I also think the age of your daughters is of importance here. Power Up will require them to read and understand card effects on their own, since most of the cards needs to be kept secret until played. For this reason I actually play without the expansion when I play with my daughter, since she isn't a native english speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dealing trap
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both expansions and Power-up would be the one i would recommend to get (first), Halloween is a nice addition once you have power-up. Costumes are great mechanically, but custom powers per monster just make sense mechanically and thematically.

Power-up is one of the reason i still prefer KoT over KoN (the other one being that while KoN offer more possible tactics, it also allows players to slow the pace of the game)

In two players games of KoT, the "brutal" rush (throw for punches as much as possible) will still be the most statically viable strategy even after both extensions are added, so don't expect much changes in the game dynamic due to powers. With 3 players and up, powers will influence the game much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheers, my girls are 8 and 11 so reading is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Up for sure. Halloween isn't even needed as the variety in the power deck is already strong and the new characters aren't exceptional. It's more of a nice bonus if you really want more than a necessity. Power Up though is fantastic and a huge addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Halloween expansion is nice, but it's not a "must have" in my opinion. We never even use the costumes (unless we actually play on Halloween ). Power Up however is excellent. The powers really add a nice level of variety to the monsters, without slowing the pace of the game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 13
mbmbmbmbmb
SkyShadow38 wrote:
We never even use the costumes (unless we actually play on Halloween ).
Exactly.
Pick up Power Up! for the gameplay.
And if you want, pick up Halloween for the extra monsters and the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dealingtrap wrote:
Power-up is one of the reason i still prefer KoT over KoN (the other one being that while KoN offer more possible tactics, it also allows players to slow the pace of the game).

Off-topic some: they've announced Power-up for KoN to be coming soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Power Up! is a must-have-addition. The game is incomplete without the evolution cards. One new character(girls' favorite) is a nice addition.

2. The Halloween-expansion is highly underrated. The more I have played it, the more I value the expansion(34 games plays with this expansion). Is it necessary like Power Up!? No. It still adds many nice things:

1)2 new monsters(along with evolution cards, and a new type of evolution, gift).

2) The Costumes with powerful&interesting abilities. The costumes add even more interaction between players. This is also a very fun addition and adds to the already crazy theme nicely.

3) A new set of dice for a quite low price. You can even play two games at the same if needed or just for fun use the orange dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Halloween over Power up.

The evolutions are nice, but we don't see many evolutions being used in our games. Costumes however bring a lot of fun to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls