Subject: Question about scoring track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Romain Soulie
France
Angoulême
Charente
flag msg tools
Hello. How do you guys use the scoring track?
Do you track the Clan and Pol markers scoring as soon as the markers are placed/removed?
If so, how does that work with the Training and Tournament scenarios, in which Clan/Pol markers are already on the table and scores start at zero? Say, the UK remove a USSR Pol marker, how do you record the “loss”?
Or do you just ignore the Clan/Pol markers until the end of the game in respect to scoring track? (in which case I don’t see the benefit of using the scoring track).
I’m sure the answer must be obvious, I just can’t think straight today shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
wondgamb wrote:
Hello. How do you guys use the scoring track?
Do you track the Clan and Pol markers scoring as soon as the markers are placed/removed?
If so, how does that work with the Training and Tournament scenarios, in which Clan/Pol markers are already on the table and scores start at zero? Say, the UK remove a USSR Pol marker, how do you record the “loss”?
Or do you just ignore the Clan/Pol markers until the end of the game in respect to scoring track? (in which case I don’t see the benefit of using the scoring track).
I’m sure the answer must be obvious, I just can’t think straight today shake
Exactly my thoughts. The use of the scoring track isn't all too obvious to me neither...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been adding up the VPs after every conference, not tracking them in 'real time'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the training scenario, nothing says that scores start at zero. (9.53 is about D-Day vs Central Italy).

However, the tournament and campaign scenarios do (9.63 and 9.73), and i can only imagine that these must be leftovers from somewhere earlier in the design process.

VP's may be counted during the game, but it is optional. The score is solely determined by the situation at the end of the game (or, if you track it during the game, by the actual present situation), so it doesn't matter at all where everyone "starts" (hence 9.63 and 9.73 make no sense in the first place). Even more so since in the tournament scenario, after the setup, the USSR is already at 10 VPs based on the Pol/Mil situation, US and UK are at 9 each, so USSR starts with a 1VP advantage

(Edit: see below for a correction of the VPs, but they are still not equal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to play this weekend and I'm going to suggest tracking VP at the end of each conference. I've played two games so far, one where we didn't track VP at all and one were we tracked everything as it happened. I do think it is worthwhile to track, but tracking as you go is a pain. Tracking after the conference seems like a good compromise. I suppose it would be ok to track everything during the Conference Phase since I think only conference winner, a-bomb, and global issue VP can be awarded at that time. There's too much back-and-forth going on during the War Phase to track, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Soulie
France
Angoulême
Charente
flag msg tools
You guys are right, and that's the obvious I was missing: Just do the tracking whenever you want/need. Thanks!

Quote:
Even more so since in the tournament scenario, after the setup, the USSR is already at 10 VPs based on the Pol/Mil situation, US and UK are at 9 each, so USSR starts with a 1VP advantage.

I did this math with different results.
UK: 10pts (1 Pol, 5 Clan, 1 empty colony)
US: 8pts (1 Pol, 5 Clan)
USSR: 8pts (2 Pol, 2 Clan)
Clandestine Network markers do not count if Political markers are in the same place. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wondgamb wrote:
You guys are right, and that's the obvious I was missing: Just do the tracking whenever you want/need. Thanks!

Quote:
Even more so since in the tournament scenario, after the setup, the USSR is already at 10 VPs based on the Pol/Mil situation, US and UK are at 9 each, so USSR starts with a 1VP advantage.

Clandestine Network markers do not count if Political markers are in the same place. Correct?

You are right about the clandestine markers with political markers, your numbers look good. The important thing however is that they do not start with 0 VPs, nor with an equal number of VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Soulie
France
Angoulême
Charente
flag msg tools
Exactly. Thanks a lot for the feedbacks!
End of the conference phase seems relevant for score tracking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The method we wound up using was to update everything in real time *except* the 1 VP per space with only clandestine networks. Those networks change way too often and we are *sure* to mess something up, and they are only 1VP each anyway, and by the end of the game most of them will be covered with pol-alignment markers anyway.

Then at the end of every odd number conference we re-check our work (again, skipping the 1 VP for clandestine network spaces with no pol-alignment marker) and make sure we didn't miss anything. about half the time it's off by 1-5 points for one player, so it's good to double check every other conference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wondgamb wrote:

Quote:

What about the temporary 3 VPs to UK and USSR for the US not being in the Philippines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, the point is that nobody starts with 0 points and not with equal points either. So the two sentences seem obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updating at the end of the round seems fine.

As to using it, look at the Victory Conditions and the importance becomes apparent. It is a way for players to tell if someone is "too far" ahead and may trigger the secondary condition and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.