Subject: Is it possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrs A Lolley
United Kingdom
Anglesey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...to play Dominion without any magic cards or would it skew the mechanics' balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic cards???

There are kingdom cards (action, reaction), treasure cards, victory point cards, and curse cards, but there are no magic cards in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even assuming he means action cards, I can't imagine why anybody would want to play "buy money / land only" version of Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Are curses magic? Technically they are a part of every setup. But for the vast majority of setups there is no reason for anyone to acquire a curse and thus you won't notice any difference if you choose to play without them.

Otherwise, the only "magic" card in the base set is Witch. Take it out and you still have several thousand possible setups. Take out Chapel too if it bothers you, still a great game.

With expansions there are more "magic" cards and Curses come into play more often, but they're still rare enough that you will get your money's worth even if you ignore them.

*Except the Alchemy expansion, which is mostly magic stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlersOfMon wrote:
...to play Dominion without any magic cards or would it skew the mechanics' balance?

None of the cards in Dominion are magic - they are all just words and pictures on cardboard. whistle

Seriously, it is impossible to really answer this question without knowing what you are objecting to (classifying as "magic") and maybe why. Do you think a Chapel or Bishop trashing cards is magic? Maybe the fact that a Smuggler can smuggle whole Estates and Duchies should be considered to be magic?

In general, Dominion has been designed to be played with any random mix of Kingdom cards from any of the expansions, and so if you leave out any that you don't want to play with for any reason it shouldn't affect the balance of play within those games. Obviously, if you "throw out" certain cards that you object to, then you will reduce the replayability factor of having different cards in each game - but there are enough expansions to compensate for this.

HOWEVER ... having said that, one of the cards most often objected to in these sorts of threads is the Curse card - which is basically the negative point cards given out by some attack cards. If you were to leave this, and the cards that give them, out of the game then you would change the feel of the game by missing out on all the games that feature this kind of attack.

I do not personally regard the Curse card as thematically "magic" any more than I would consider its positive counterpart (Estate) to be magic - some of the cards that give out Curses could be regarded as such, but others (Swindler, Mountebank, Jester) are definitely not. So I regard it as more of a "bad luck" type of Curse rather than a "magic" Curse. But some people don't seem to be able to see beyond this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Even assuming he means action cards, I can't imagine why anybody would want to play "buy money / land only" version of Dominion.
With enough Treasure Kingdom cards, I reckon it can be quite a blast. However, as most of the cards in the series are action cards, you wouldn't be able to have as many games with them while still getting the sheer variety otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy Dominion and stop playing Magic. As simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs A Lolley
United Kingdom
Anglesey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Are curses magic? Technically they are a part of every setup. But for the vast majority of setups there is no reason for anyone to acquire a curse and thus you won't notice any difference if you choose to play without them.

Otherwise, the only "magic" card in the base set is Witch. Take it out and you still have several thousand possible setups. Take out Chapel too if it bothers you, still a great game.

With expansions there are more "magic" cards and Curses come into play more often, but they're still rare enough that you will get your money's worth even if you ignore them.

*Except the Alchemy expansion, which is mostly magic stuff.

Thank you Jonny5 that answered my question perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
... Without actually knowing what your question was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
With enough Treasure Kingdom cards, I reckon it can be quite a blast. However, as most of the cards in the series are action cards, you wouldn't be able to have as many games with them while still getting the sheer variety otherwise.

There are also victory cards that are not action cards (gardens, for example). If you played with 10 kingdom treasures and kingdom non-action victory cards, it could be quite an interesting game, wouldn't it? Even funnier with platinums and colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
salva wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

There are also victory cards that are not action cards (gardens, for example). If you played with 10 kingdom treasures and kingdom non-action victory cards, it could be quite an interesting game, wouldn't it? Even funnier with platinums and colonies.

I play games of this sort every once-in-awhile. It's a fun way to occasionally change the dynamic of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:

HOWEVER ... having said that, one of the cards most often objected to in these sorts of threads is the Curse card - which is basically the negative point cards given out by some attack cards. If you were to leave this, and the cards that give them, out of the game then you would change the feel of the game by missing out on all the games that feature this kind of attack.
If you remove curses and the cards that give them out, and miss this feel, you could get the Dark Ages expansion and use the cards (Looters) that give out Ruins instead, which have a similar feel without the name "Curse." (though one of the 3 Looter cards that give out ruins is Cultist, and you might object to that one too, as well as the Graverobber, Mystic, and Altar that come in that set).

I haven't tried it, but if you like the Ruins enough, you could try just replacing Curses with them, which would allow you to use the non-magical curse-dealing cards without using curses. (though, aside from Swindler, they'd still say the word "curse" on them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
churchmouse wrote:

If you remove curses and the cards that give them out, and miss this feel, you could get the Dark Ages expansion and use the cards (Looters) that give out Ruins instead, which have a similar feel without the name "Curse." (though one of the 3 Looter cards that give out ruins is Cultist, and you might object to that one too, as well as the Graverobber, Mystic, and Altar that come in that set).

I haven't tried it, but if you like the Ruins enough, you could try just replacing Curses with them, which would allow you to use the non-magical curse-dealing cards without using curses. (though, aside from Swindler, they'd still say the word "curse" on them)
Cultist may be too powerful if they doled out Curses instead. I'd say you could remove their ability to play one from hand for free to compensate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Cultist may be too powerful if they doled out Curses instead. I'd say you could remove their ability to play one from hand for free to compensate.

But wouldn't that just turn them into...
I see what you did there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
SettlersOfMon wrote:

Assuming this is indeed about leaving out the curses (as a pile and no associated actions).

Rules wise setup does require you always add a curses pile, even if there are no curse actions. The curses pile still counts towards the end of game determination, and (although unlikely to happen) you can buy curses as there are other cards that could still make use of curses (like gardens).

But in practice game play wise deciding to leave out curses and curse actions will not break the game nor will it make a game unbalanced. Using random setup there will be enough combinations where you don't get any actions with curses anyway.

The main impact of always excluding specific cards is that you are narrowing the overall game experience. Leaving out curses plus curse actions simply means you don't get to play or respond to curses plus those actions anymore.

That to me is exactly one of the strengths of this game: having to work with what is on the table, and not with what I want to be on the table. Meaning I try to not exclude cards or swap piles during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.