Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rulebook states (on page 39):

"...if during the Fellowship Phase the Fellowship is declared in a region that contains a Free Peoples City or Stronghold not under enemy control, one point of Corruption is immediately removed...."

I'm not 100% certain how to interpret this within the context of Strongholds under siege.

Does it mean:

in a region [that contains a Free Peoples City or Stronghold] not under enemy control

or does it mean

in a region that contains a Free Peoples City [not under enemy control] or Stronghold not under enemy control

In other words, can the ring-bearer be healed if the Stronghold is under siege? If the Stronghold is under siege, the region, by definition, is under enemy control -- but the Stronghold itself would not be under enemy control.

Put differently still, does the phrase "under enemy control" modify "Stronghold" or "region" in this context? Does "region ... under enemy control" apply only to the regions containing Free Peoples Cities?

I think the best grammatical interpretation of the sentence it to read "under enemy control" as modifying (1) regions containing FP cities and (2) Strongholds, but NOT (3) regions where Strongholds are besieged.

But thematically, this doesn't make too much sense to me. I'm not sure how much rest and respite could be accomplished in a stronghold under siege. (But then again, how would I know???)

Thoughts?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to revise my thematic objection: contrary to how they're portrayed in the movies, the siege of a walled city would ordinarily take weeks, months, sometimes years. It wasn't incessant combat - there was a lot of "downtime." Even in the game, a stronghold could be besieged for several turns with combat only occurring intermittently.

With that in mind, I would be ok, thematically, with having the ringbesrers healed even in strongholds under siege.

Nevertheless, I'm still not 100% that's how best to interpret the rules, and would appreciate hearing how others have read and interpreted this language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
If the Stronghold is under siege, the region, by definition, is under enemy control

The region is not under enemy control if the Stronghold has not been taken, so the fellowship is allowed to heal there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, regions are not controlled at all - Settlements are. In that context, "not under enemy control" can only apply to the City or Stronghold, and not the region it's in. As Andrew said, a besieged Stronghold is still controlled by the defenders, so the Fellowship can Heal there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
If the Stronghold is under siege, the region, by definition, is under enemy control
To belabor Krieghund's point, Stronghold regions are exceptional, per the second third sentence below.

Page 10:
Free Regions
The rules and Event Cards often refer to a free region. A region is free for a player when it doesn’t contain an enemy Army and/or an enemy-controlled Settlement. A region containing a Stronghold controlled by the enemy is also free for a player when the Stronghold is besieged by an Army of that player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
tempestofcatan wrote:

And thank you for starting a thread about the rules instead of the AE.

So, how about that Anniversary Edition!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls