Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm a big fan of fantasy and I'm looking to buy some new games into my collection. Mechanics don't really matter, what matters is that it is a good game with a strong fantasy theme attached to it. I have roughly 200 USD to spend on this. One of the games would have to support only one player.

Fantasy themed games that I own:

- Mage Knight
- War of the Ring
- LOTR LCG
- Defenders of the Realm
- Battles of Westeros
- Wrath of Ashardalon
- The Battle of Five Armies
- Rune Age
- Thunderstone advance

Kinda Fantasy;

- Tales of Arabian Nights
- Kingsburg

Thanks,

João

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy Assault on Doomrock. The expansion promises to make it even better.

Drako: Dragon & Dwarves I love, though I haven't played it as much as I'd have liked to.

Wrath of Ashardalon is a solid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's just too bad that there are so few fantasy-themed games in our hobby.

Seriously, though, a few that come to mind:

1. Legends of Andor - it's more of a puzzle than dungeon crawler type game. Since it's coop, it can be played solo. Also, they are re-printing this game from an American company and releasing some expansions. So you might want to wait until the fall for that to come out.

2. Arcadia Quest is a cool dungeon crawl style game with great components and a different approach to play that makes it stand out, imo.

3. If you were interested in a euro style game, the Dungeon Petz might be a good edition to your collection.

4. Ashes: Rise of the Pheonixborn was just released. Has that LCG feel without following the exact model of one.

5. Darkest Night is a cool little game from VPG. Also coop it can be played solo or with a group.

6. Descent of course is a great option. Although it does require one player to play as the overlord. But still a great game.

7. Kemet - Not sure if this one fits the fantasy theme exactly. But it's a great area control game. It's "cousin" Cyclades is also a great one to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Slope
msg tools
Our favorite is Legends of Andor. Such a great game.

(But there is certainly a faction who hate it, so do your research first.)

Also, check out Wiz-War (eighth edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you Kickstarter at all, there are like 5 big box fantasy-ish adventure games scheduled to launch in September.

7th Continent exploring a cursed island? details limited so far. 1-4 players co-op.

The Others: 7 Sins horror, but I consider horror a type of fantasy. Its a 1 vs all.

Folklore: the Affliction unclear on balance between horror/fantasy

Gloomhaven seems similar-ish to Pathfinder and Mistfall below

and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two others

If you don't Kickstarter heres some games other fantasy games not on your list:

Middle-Earth Quest 1 vs 1-3player adventure game set in Middle-Earth

Pathfinder: the Adventure Card Game is multiple sets of card-based adventures from 1-6 players co-op. Rise of the Runelords is the original set. Standard fantasy campaign with giants and evil creatures. Many say its easy or repetitive but I like it. Skull & Shackles is pirate-themed and supposedly improves upon the original set a little. Wrath of the Righteous is the newest ongoing set against demons and supposedly much harder

Mistfall KS copies arriving now, retail soon after. Similar to Pathfinder but appears to have more strategic combat choices? I didn't get my copy yet. 1-4 players co-op

Game of Thrones is multiplayer diplomacy/ dudes on a map 4-6 players based on the book series/ TV show.

Mice & Mystics is a dice-chucking dungeon crawl with multiple scenarios of mice vs rats/bugs/cat 1-4 players co-op

Argent the Consortium is a worker placement with wizard/spells/artifacts 2-5 players

Lords of Waterdeep is a D&D theme pasted on a gateway worker placement game for 2-5.

Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness As said above, I consider horror to be fantasy. The first two are 1-8 player co-ops, the third one is a 1 vs 1-4 mansion-crawl.

Robinson Crusoe is a Euro-ish sorta worker placement exploring island, some scenarios have supernatural theming 1-4

Edit: After reading the other responses above I can't believe I forgot both of these.

Legends of Andor (new English printing later this year) is a puzzly 1-4 player co-op which is less about combat and more about prioritzing your mission.

Wiz-War is a super fun capture-the-flag or kill em all wizard combat in a maze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my suggestions:
BattleLore (Second Edition)
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) solo option
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game solo option
Small World
Wiz-War (eighth edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (2nd or 3rd ed)

Dungeon Twister 2, Prison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent as a solo option? Don't you need at least 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guildwa wrote:
Descent as a solo option? Don't you need at least 2 players?

You sure do. Although there is an automated Overlord variant as well as some coop expansions which I am guessing you could play solo.

It certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but it is a fantastic game with enormous replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Slope
msg tools
Recently kickstarted so not available yet (although the PnP should be available any day now: Wizard's Academy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Has any of you tried Descent solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are a couple of solo expansions that allow you to play the game without an Overlord. I have one of them, but haven't played it yet.

But if you want to see how it would play, watch Solo McLaughlin - she has a good playthrough of one of the solo scenarios on Youtube.

But other than those two(?) solo expansions that provide a single adventure/quest, the game isn't really solo-able out of the box if you want to play the campaigns provided. So it's definitely something to consider.

It's possible there are some solo variants out there as well. So worth checking to see if something usable has been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game (recently announced, will be released within the next month)
Albion's Legacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played the Descent solo/coop expansion Nature's Ire and I liked it. Myth is another solo/coop that I like. The first edition rules were a mess but they recently released a 2.0 set of rules that are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With $200 under your belt you can take a search for Magic Realm. It can hold 1-16 players, long play time though, big learning curve.

There is a redesigned PnP version (art work) out there somewhere on the Net. That also includes a book of 250 pages with additional quests.

Think that would fit your requirements. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Battalia is still in Kickstarter stage but looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
With $200 under your belt you can take a search for Magic Realm. It can hold 1-16 players, long play time though, big learning curve.
I highly recommend to have a look at Magic Realm Lite 30 first.

If you find that interesting, you'll maybe find the endurance to read the ~300 pages Play Guide and the 200+ pages of updated rules for the real game...

Personally, I just don't get the combat rules - even after watching a 1-hour video explaining every single step...

There's also a java app called RealmSpeak that allows you to play the game, but I still got stuck as soon as ran into my first combat - I just don't get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Matei
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the old world! not solo tho'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey both solo and with my daughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, thank you so much.

From your recommendation I boiled it down to:

- Descent (I'm buying this one)
- Legends of Andor or Mice and Mystics (for solo)
- Arcadia Quest or Dungeon Petz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls