Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'More or less' card makes no sense to me at all. It says:

"At the beginning of the round, each player chooses 1-5 role cards, and gains or loses the corresponding number of victory points."

It shows icons indicating that:
1 card = +10 pts,
2 cards = +6 pts,
3 cards = +3 pts,
4 cards = 0 pts
5 cards = -3 pts

So, why doesn't everyone choose one card and get +10 pts?

What am I not seeing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I could probably choose four cards do 2 deliveries for more than 10 points and get some resources and/or a lightning bolt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Riley said, also it's the gamble/Bluff in our Games my son has twice gone 1 card & took the 10 points but that makes it easier to be Brave for other players when others have less cards.
I have found all the event cards in the game to be equally balanced & very fun.
Great family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrun wrote:
So, why doesn't everyone choose one card and get +10 pts?

What am I not seeing?
Can you get more than three (or four, for the second card) points out of a single card play? Or six/seven points out of two card plays? Especially on a turn when you're more likely to be able to be safely Brave because there are fewer cards in other players' hands?

I mean, if you don't think you can, by all means choose only one card and take the ten points. But if everyone in your group is taking only one card, try taking five and see how it plays out when you run roughshod over the whole board for a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems more like a strategy question than a rules question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:
This seems more like a strategy question than a rules question.

Nobody understood my question (so far, anyway). Of course I saw the answer myself five minutes after I wrote the query,

The point was, I had thought that the card referred to a separate action that everyone had to take earlier than, and unrelated to the initial selection of four cards (which I imagined would still take place afterwards).

Whereas, I now realise, it replaces the selection of four (or other number of) cards at the start of the round.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Gotcha. I think it's the only event that resolves at the beginning of the round. Which does make it a little weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I originally read the card/rules, I thought it was just a pre-round bluffing game where you revealed what number of cards you had chosen. (In my mind it would work something like Incan Gold, where if you and another player had chosen the same number, then neither of you would get anything).

However, as nothing in the rules actually supported my theory, it then dawned on me that however many cards you chose would be how many you had for the whole round - at that point it made a bit of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Insano wrote:
Yeah, when I originally read the card/rules, I thought it was just a pre-round bluffing game where you revealed what number of cards you had chosen. (In my mind it would work something like Incan Gold, where if you and another player had chosen the same number, then neither of you would get anything).

However, as nothing in the rules actually supported my theory, it then dawned on me that however many cards you chose would be how many you had for the whole round - at that point it made a bit of sense.

That's exactly what I thought, too - and you explained it better than I did, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruth Koh
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Thanks for the sharing. I finally got it. Lol. We play that round with 1 to 5 cards and get points for that decision. So did Anyone try 5 cards and managed to score highest by having extra card despite the -3 start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls