mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time last night. 3 players. Kirk (reroll all of one color), Spock (reuse 1 die), and Bones (heal with blue die).

We decided to jump right into the hardest difficulty. (20pts, 2 of each color, 1 timed mission)

We spent a lot of time early on dealing with blue threats, which ended up being a mistake because we ran out of blue threats.

The most damage the ship ever had was 2. the most damage any of us had was 2, thanks to Bones.

Kirk had some really nice turns of dealing with threats.

Things started to get rough when we ran out of blue cards. Lots of the yellow and red cards required playing multiple dice at once, which proved very difficult.

We did end up succeeding though. We had 3 failed missions at the end (though a 4th failed mission was about to happen as an hourglass was about to run out.)

Not sure if we got lucky, or if we played well, or if the game is easy. Also, a 3 player game might be easier. I also wonder if you can even get 20 points without having at least 3 (or more) of each color. The game still got tense and we enjoyed it though.

It seems one can deal with the difficulty by changing to weaker characters (for example, playing with no doctor). Or you could say that 4 failed missions resulted in defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making it to admiral on your first try is exceptional. Just make sure people aren’t forgetting to draw a card as they start their turn. This is a common error with new players and is often overlooked by the others because they are engaged in solving the cards rather than policing the other players turns. Even I occasional need to be remined when I am in a hurry.

Missing just a few draws will significantly lessen the difficulty as the alert queues are the primary pressure in the game.

P.S. Nice Avitar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
Making it to admiral on your first try is exceptional. Just make sure people aren’t forgetting to draw a card as they start their turn. This is a common error with new players and is often overlooked by the others because they are engaged in solving the cards rather than policing the other players turns. Even I occasional need to be remined when I am in a hurry.

Missing just a few draws will significantly lessen the difficulty as the alert queues are the primary pressure in the game.

P.S. Nice Avitar!

We forgot to drew and fixed it immediately about 3 times over the game. We all started reminding eachother often. I can definitely see how missing would be a big deal.

The worst offense was somebody rolled really well, then we realized we missed the draw had to undo the whole turn and ended up getting some prime directive card appear and the whole turn changed a lot.

I was sad that the mirror mirror card didn't have mirror spock on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there a player count that was hardest during testing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few minor things like the ability to use other player abilities or the ability to take or give dice that aids a large group. Otherwise the number of players has little to do with difficulty. Being a Co-op it’s more about the proportion of skill amongst the players than the number of player.

There is one other thing I see new players doing that makes it easier and that’s not adhering to the order of actions. It sounds like you were doing it right but if a player after drawing an alert card moves to phase/r 4 placing dice they can’t go back and replenish dice or roll any of them. This is hard for impulsive players especially when an urgent event is running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From only a handful of plays (each with 2 players using 2 characters each) that one mistake especially harmful to new players is tying up too many dice on alerts, especially when there are a good number of them out. My wife and I lost one game because we didn't have enough dice in the pool to get completely replenish, the alert piled up and we had 3 of our 5 failed alerts due to a fourth alert of a particular color showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
From only a handful of plays (each with 2 players using 2 characters each) that one mistake especially harmful to new players is tying up too many dice on alerts, especially when there are a good number of them out. My wife and I lost one game because we didn't have enough dice in the pool to get completely replenish, the alert piled up and we had 3 of our 5 failed alerts due to a fourth alert of a particular color showing up.

We tried to be very focused on what alerts we went after and specifically choose to fail one prime directive as dice were going to get really tied up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
It sounds like you were doing it right but if a player after drawing an alert card moves to phase/r 4 placing dice they can’t go back and replenish dice or roll any of them. This is hard for impulsive players especially when an urgent event is running.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. I'm not sure why the order matters, place dice doesn't result in any new information as far as I know (perhaps there is an ability we weren't using that makes it matter.)

Nevermind, it just clicked why, you are saying people would think they can place dice first so that they can grab more dice? yeah, that would definitely make things easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
dralius wrote:
It sounds like you were doing it right but if a player after drawing an alert card moves to phase/r 4 placing dice they can’t go back and replenish dice or roll any of them. This is hard for impulsive players especially when an urgent event is running.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. I'm not sure why the order matters, place dice doesn't result in any new information as far as I know (perhaps there is an ability we weren't using that makes it matter.)

Nevermind, it just clicked why, you are saying people would think they can place dice first so that they can grab more dice? yeah, that would definitely make things easier.

There are four actions that must be done in order. The only one that is mandatory is phase 1.

1. Draw an Alert
2. Replenish dice
3. Roll dice
4. Place dice

While an urgent alert is in play people often place dice immediately after drawing an alert either to complete it or from excitement. Going back to replenish dice or roll dice after placing dice is against the rules.

Note: you beat me to the post but I'm leaving this up incase it's not clear to anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
Going back to replenish dice or roll dice after placing dice is against the rules.

As long as the correct number of dice are drawn (based on your starting amount), when the dice are rolled vs placed should be irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
dralius wrote:
Going back to replenish dice or roll dice after placing dice is against the rules.

As long as the correct number of dice are drawn (based on your starting amount), when the dice are rolled vs placed should be irrelevant.

It might only matter if rushing to complete urgent alerts too. That makes sense. I understand the additional reason for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
played 2 more games.

Played with Picard, Riker and B. Crusher and had a rough start but were able to score the full Admiral points.

played again with Picard, B. Crusher and Worf and decided to see how many points we could score. we scored 33. (we were out of blue and yellow cards at this point)

Other than picking different characters, is there a suggested way to make the game more difficult? One thought we had was starting with a yellow and red alert in play to start the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I don't have the game and cannot find the rules posted. So, trying to understand... The components list shows 35 dice. Do you set up with less dice in the pool with fewer (4 in this example) players? Or, did you have 15 or more dice out there on the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
rickert wrote:
I don't have the game and cannot find the rules posted. So, trying to understand... The components list shows 35 dice. Do you set up with less dice in the pool with fewer (4 in this example) players? Or, did you have 15 or more dice out there on the cards?

Each player starts with 2 red, 2 blue and 1 yellow die. If playing with 3-4 you start with one extra of each color in the dice pool all other dice are not used. Using extra dice makes easier.

Edit, Edit......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
chockle wrote:
rickert wrote:

Each player starts with 2 red, 2 blue and 1 yellow die. If playing with 4-5 you start with one extra of each color in the dice pool all other dice are not used.

3 or 4 whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally made it through all the alerts. Scored 40 points playing next generation. Failed 2 missions, one was due to a yellow alert when somebody drew blue instead of red to be on the safe side (that did remove a communication failure though.) the other failure was a prime directive that it made sense to intentionally fail. We ran out of alerts to draw and finished all the alerts on the 3 turns after we ran out.

Our crew was possibly the strongest crew you can make: piccard, riker, worff, b. Crusher.

We definitely will stop adding the extra dice when playing 3 and 4 player. We might making the difficulty harder by lowering the fail threshold to 1, 2, or 3. Or we might try to construct a hard event deck. Alternatively, we might consider adding a full game timer (15 minutes to 20 minutes?) to really make things tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.