Hide
7 Posts

Two Rooms and a Boom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Medic vs Psychologist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Verile
msg tools
I am having a tough time understanding/ explaining the differences between the medic and psychologist card. Does the Medic cure all conditions only when there is a mutual card share, while the psychologist cures conditions that limit a persons ability to card share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mg04veri wrote:
I am having a tough time understanding/ explaining the differences between the medic and psychologist card. Does the Medic cure all conditions only when there is a mutual card share, while the psychologist cures conditions that limit a persons ability to card share?
It sounds like you've got it right. The Medic removes all conditions when they do a card share (so of course the Medic can't remove conditions that prevent card sharing, like shy and coy).

The Psychologist specifically removes the shy, coy, paranoid, and other psych conditions. This is done by privately revealing their card to the player they suspect of having one of those conditions. This then allows the other player to card share with the Psychologist, even if they have a psych condition that would otherwise prevent them from card sharing. If they choose to do the card share with the Psychologist, then their psych condition is removed.

Just edited my answer to take into account all psych conditions equally, not just shy and coy. This is a change from the PnP character guide to the officially released character guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The struggle itself is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
badge
"Is there any subject you shouldn't joke about?" is no less ridiculous a question than "Is there any subject you shouldn't talk about?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Psychologist:
-Cures: 'psych'-conditions, i.e. "shy, coy, foolish, paranoid, savvy"
-When: on psychologist (full/card) private-reveal to player with 'psych'-condition thereby allowing that player to card-share (in spite of normal limitations) if they wish

Medic:
-Cures: all conditions
-When: on (full) card-share with target player

Important implications possible via Psychologist that are not possible via Medic: curing "shy", "coy", and "paranoid" conditions; curing the "foolish" condition on the Nuclear Tyrant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
Psychologist:
-Cures: 'psych'-conditions, i.e. "shy, coy, foolish, paranoid, savvy"
-When: on psychologist (full/card) private-reveal to player with 'psych'-condition thereby allowing that player to card-share (in spite of normal limitations) if they wish

Medic:
-Cures: all conditions
-When: on (full) card-share with target player

Important implications possible via Psychologist that are not possible via Medic: curing "shy", "coy", and "paranoid" conditions; curing the "foolish" condition on the Nuclear Tyrant
Why wouldn't the Medic cure foolish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The struggle itself is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
badge
"Is there any subject you shouldn't joke about?" is no less ridiculous a question than "Is there any subject you shouldn't talk about?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, Grant. The Medic would cure foolish. I woke up too early this morning and it made sense to me at the time. O.o

I think I was thinking that the Medic wouldn't want to card-share with someone who might be the Tyrant while the Psychologist might be more willing to randomly private-reveal and accidentally cure the Tyrant by being more careless with their ability -- I feel like, in practice, players end up being more careless and free (thinking they are being "helpful") as Psychs than as Medics.

Maybe just ignore me like you would Yogi Berra: "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that if a Psych or Medic player have already been the Leprechaun, they could cure the current Leprechaun player of "foolish" and guarantee they win the game.
whistle
(Unless an Agent or Enforcer forces them into a card-share...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Also, if you were in a game I modded at GenCon, it's possible I didn't get these rules exactly right (probably the Negotiator's "savvy" and the Leprechaun's "foolish" interactions with Psychologist) while we were playing there. Sorry.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls