Mysterium» Forums » General

Subject: Why buy this game if you have dixit ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
si Mon
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

There is a lot of hype for this game and I understand the great value in components and the work done. The price seems also very low for the quality. But for me the game doesn't feel like an improvment on dixit. I reallyvlike that dixit is the themeless as all the fun is giving clever riddle and solve clever riddle. No theme means that it's non gamer friendly, the rules are very simple and the replayability is almost infinite. Mysterium sounds too complicated for casual play and the riddle part is gone. Is there something I don't see ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
Hi all,

There is a lot of hype for this game and I understand the great value in components and the work done. The price seems also very low for the quality. But for me the game doesn't feel like an improvment on dixit. I reallyvlike that dixit is the themeless as all the fun is giving clever riddle and solve clever riddle. No theme means that it's non gamer friendly, the rules are very simple and the replayability is almost infinite. Mysterium sounds too complicated for casual play and the riddle part is gone. Is there something I don't see ?

Yes. You will see it when you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call him
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's room for both, and Dixit cards can be used to add variety and difficulty to Mysterium.

Mysterium thrives on building a good atmosphere, and achieves its thematic goals very well. I know some themes can be very offputting to non-gamers, but I haven't found solving a murder mystery to be one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sharp
msg tools
This is the game that Dixit should have been. Dixit is an interesting mechanic, but with no theme or goal, it's just a matter of playing the same mechanic again and again until you get bored with it.

Mysterium has a purpose to the mechanic. Players need to communicate specific information in order to complete the task. The theme comes through with every step of the process. Combine that with the fact that players are working cooperatively and the whole package is a lot more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. whistle

I've found that many more people in my social circle like Mysterium than Dixit, even those from whom I'd never expected it - diehard eurogamers among them. The people (mostly family gamers) who like Dixit also like Mysterium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opus69 wrote:
This is the game that Dixit should have been. Dixit is an interesting mechanic, but with no theme or goal, it's just a matter of playing the same mechanic again and again until you get bored with it.

Mysterium has a purpose to the mechanic. Players need to communicate specific information in order to complete the task. The theme comes through with every step of the process. Combine that with the fact that players are working cooperatively and the whole package is a lot more fun.

This is exactly why I'm hyped for Mysterium even though I really dislike Dixit. Dixit just feels like Apples to Apples, whereas Mysterium seems like it will provide a more puzzle-like feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
This is exactly why I'm hyped for Mysterium even though I really dislike Dixit. Dixit just feels like Apples to Apples, whereas Mysterium seems like it will provide a more puzzle-like feel.

This 100%!!!

I purchased this game at GenCon on a whim and I cannot be happier about my decision. I had heard it was a cross between Dixit & Clue. I cannot stand Dixit(Yes, yes I know others do and I do not fault anyone who likes it. I just know it is not for me), but I love Clue(I own way too many versions of it and I cannot honestly explain why - I just do). There is a game to Mysterium. And a fun one at that. I've played a few times and enjoyed every one of them.

So, do YOU need it? That I cannot say, but I can say you should either buy a version and play it or hopefully someone else in your play circle will buy it and you can play theirs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is boring? This isn't?

I think people are stuck on the dixit mechanism, when really, this game perfects everything Dixit is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmb
Waouh ! Everybody seems to like this game ! I should give it a chance I think. I really really like the give a riddle part of dixit and just giving a card without saying anything just seems meh in comparison. But the success of the game and all your praise makes me wonder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games Are About Glory (Dave Refici)
United States
Penfield
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I enjoy Dixit, but this really did take it to another level. We played Tajemnicze Domostwo last night as a group of ten players (some people paired up as psychics) and it was great. Even though each psychic has his or her own puzzle to work out you are encouraged to assist other players. Trying to get in the head of the ghost and comparing ideas with the other players kept everyone engaged. This made for an excellent social experience. If you're curious at all about this game I'd definitely give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Morgan
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played Mysterium I definitely got a sense that it is "Dixit with a purpose". Sure Dixit is fun in a party sense where you are just trying the find the right mix of clues to throw off a small number of your opponents with basically little or no theme to latch on to. But I feel like Mysterium definitely has a more cause and effect where success/fail of deduction fits a whole lot better into the overall theme.

So yeah, Mysterium kinda ruined Dixit for me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnipp wrote:
I purchased this game at GenCon on a whim

On a whim... you had to mad-rush to Asmodee's booth either Thursday or Friday to get one of their 50 copies available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
On a whim... you had to mad-rush to Asmodee's booth either Thursday or Friday to get one of their 50 copies available...

Truly on a whim. I was running demos at another booth when a friend of mine who was not running anything that day(Thursday) asked if I needed him to pick anything up for me. Another one of my friends said "They are selling that Mysterium game in limited copies?" to which I replied "Sure, grab me one of those....." There are perks to having an exhibitor badge whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul sitko
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to this game precisely because I have Dixit. First, I love whenever I can add a good co-op to my game collection. Second, it adds value to our already existing collection of Dixit cards, since we can use our Dixit cards to play Mysterium. I haven't played it yet, but the theme seems so perfect for the mechanic that I imagine it's going to be a big hit with my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they're quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
Opus69 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. When I saw it, I was expecting Dixit. Then I played. And I didn't think the ghost would be fun, but I had a great time as the ghost. It was great adjusting to why people were misunderstanding my clues.

"Ugh, why does he not understand that the only thing those cards have in common is color scheme? And it's the same color scheme as the correct answer!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls