La Granja» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison with Bruges? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I wondered if there's anyone out there who would be willing to compare La Granja to Bruges- I love the whole 'one card - several uses' thing, and I love Bruges, but am concerned the gameplay may be too similar to justify having both.

Now, I understand the specifics of the way this is implemented in each game are different, but I'm talking about the 'feel' of the game as much as anything else.

Thoughts on the matter much appreciated!

Max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other than the cards having multiple uses the games have nothing in common... I own both and wouldn't get rid of one because of the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Bruges and recently played La Granja and though the cards-for-multiple-uses mechanic is a similar idea, I think it's different enough to justify owning both. I find the art in Bruges to be much more aesthetically pleasing and La Granja can look a little...plain, I guess would be the word. It's still a very interesting game with a lot going on and I plan to pick it up via trade or purchase at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are hugely different. There's much more going on in La Granja and it's much more of a gamer's game. It also has a far stronger theme than Bruges. La Granja has a strong strategic aspect, while it can be very difficult to carry out a strategy in Bruges (since the cards you need to do so may never come to you). Bruges is considerably more accessible than La Granja, as it's much easier to learn and can be played more casually.

Honestly, outside of the multi-use cards, the two games have nothing in common. And even the cards are implemented quite differently. I don't consider the games to be the least bit similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, that's all I needed to know!

25 minutes later and I've bought it laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thebrewgeek
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Bruges and I have just played La Granja and although they are somewhat similar because of the card play I didn't really make a connection between both games. I really like Bruges and I did enjoy La Granja and would consider owning both because I don't think they play at all the same or have the same feel. I would add that at this point I prefer Bruges but both are sold games. I would also add that I found La Granja heavier than Bruges by quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Bruges and La Granja, and it never would have occurred to me to compare them. The multi-use cards reminds me of Glory to Rome a good bit, if that gives you a point for comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gaming world is one particular facet of life where I think diversity is really most expressed and appreciated. People who like similar things can look at another similar thing and have totally different opinions. If the world was run solely by gamers, it'd be a better place. Best overall group of people I've ever known - all bound by one love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls