Subject: 1st play thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
A group of 4 sat down to play Steam Works. I was the only one who had read the rules and it was the 1st play for all of us. I got two of the rules wrong; we did not allow the automaton to play on another player's constructs and we did not place the starting constructs on the Phase I conveyor belt.

The game started off a bit slow, each of us wondering what we should do. By the time we moved into phase II, things were beginning to make sense. Be the end of phase II, we were really "feeling it" and everyone was having a blast. By the end of the game, we were ready to play again. Alas, it was too late. 2 players tied at 42 points; 3rd place had 34.

The game has a great feel. We chose to use the asymmetrical start (side B on the player mats).

Player are building constructs that are powered by gears, steam or electricity. There are power sources and then there are the gadgets themselves. Some of these produce victory points, other cash, some power sources. The trick is to build a construct that other players will want to use (and earn 1 VP every time another player does so), but not so good that it's too powerful.

As it was the 1st play for all of us, I would wait before giving a "final answer" on my evaluation. However, it was a ton of fun and I can't wait to play again.

The only possible down side is that as the game progresses, there are so many constructs on the board that players have a wide range of choices and this could lead to analysis paralysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JGRno5 wrote:
A group of 4 sat down to play Steam Works. I was the only one who had read the rules and it was the 1st play for all of us. I got two of the rules wrong; we did not allow the automaton to play on another player's constructs and we did not place the starting constructs on the Phase I conveyor belt.

The game started off a bit slow, each of us wondering what we should do. By the time we moved into phase II, things were beginning to make sense. Be the end of phase II, we were really "feeling it" and everyone was having a blast. By the end of the game, we were ready to play again. Alas, it was too late. 2 players tied at 42 points; 3rd place had 34.

The game has a great feel. We chose to use the asymmetrical start (side B on the player mats).

Player are building constructs that are powered by gears, steam or electricity. There are power sources and then there are the gadgets themselves. Some of these produce victory points, other cash, some power sources. The trick is to build a construct that other players will want to use (and earn 1 VP every time another player does so), but not so good that it's too powerful.

As it was the 1st play for all of us, I would wait before giving a "final answer" on my evaluation. However, it was a ton of fun and I can't wait to play again.

The only possible down side is that as the game progresses, there are so many constructs on the board that players have a wide range of choices and this could lead to analysis paralysis.

I'm glad you ended up enjoying Steam Works!

It's funny, I often hear things about games (many different games) such as "started off slow, we wondered what we should do with so much going on" in concert with things like "We chose to use the asymmetrical start (side B on the player mats)," which generally means there'll be more things going on and the game will be more complicated to get into.

It's not that big a deal in this game, but I'm glad it didn't end up putting you off!

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Analysis paralysis
JGRno5 wrote:

I've found that generally I'm aware of approximately what I'm trying to achieve. And, even though I may have lost track of the available devices, each player will know what they've built.

If you call out "I need money" (for example), people will fall over themselves to explain why you ought to use their device. You may then have a pitched battle between the eager owners of rival devices, but at least you don't have analysis paralysis. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Clive,

This is exactly what happened in our game. I had lots of extra energy sources and asked if anyone had something that required them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
I saw the same in our first game. Players (usually) want others to use their machines. It gains them VP's without using one of their few workers. And they can still use one of their machines even if other players are using them. On the rare occasion they want to use their own machines twice they won't suggest that machine to you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.