Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to a pair of fortuitous card draws for the ARVN (Light at the End of the Tunnel and International Forces), and one awful die roll for the Americans (a 6), the last ten American units have been removed from Vietnam.

Can the Americans still play events, operations, and special activities, even though there aren't any troops in theater? If so, are the only plays available those which don't require the presence of actual units?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I can't find a rules reference to cement the answer.

Thanks,
Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Ops require either the presence of US pieces or manipulation of US pieces, and the Special Activities are only possible when there is a corresponding Op, so it seems one would be stuck taking Events that didn't need US pieces until the next commitment phase. Lots of thumb twiddling otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Scott. I wasn't making the connection and kept thinking that I could at least do an Air Strike, but it appears I was mistaken.

Thanks again,
Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the player aids in front of me, but why couldn't the US sweep in 0 spaces and then air strike? Is there a specific rule saying when you choose an op you have to do it in at least one space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
I don't have the player aids in front of me, but why couldn't the US sweep in 0 spaces and then air strike? Is there a specific rule saying when you choose an op you have to do it in at least one space?

That's a fair point since the chart says move any US Troops if desired. As long as you had an ARVN unit as a spotter, I don't see why you couldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Short answer is "no".

This was discussed here. Not sure if the updated errata file has been posted anywhere yet though; Volko's been busy with other projects over the summer...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Short answer is "no".

This was discussed here. Not sure if the updated errata file has been posted anywhere yet though; Volko's been busy with other projects over the summer...

/Oerjan

Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
Oerjan wrote:
Short answer is "no".

/Oerjan

Thanks for the clarification!

This is why keeping that base in Saigon can be vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I can sometimes over-think or over-read something to the point of becoming dense, let me make sure I've got the gist of not only the posts here, but the ones I was referred to in another discussion:

In the case of having no pieces on-board, it appears that doesn't matter for the Ops, because you can announce an intention and name a space, but then decide to do nothing. In which case, you have "executed" an operation, which then allows you the special ability.

So, for the Americans, they can decide (for example) to Sweep an LoC, then decide not to actually do it. It costs 0 resources to do so, but then, the Americans can call in an Air Strike as long as it meets the requirements of either the normal special ability, or any US Capability card in play.

Did my reading lead me to the proper end conclusion?

Thanks,
Brien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Brien Martin wrote:
Because I can sometimes over-think or over-read something to the point of becoming dense, let me make sure I've got the gist of not only the posts here, but the ones I was referred to in another discussion:

In the case of having no pieces on-board, it appears that doesn't matter for the Ops, because you can announce an intention and name a space, but then decide to do nothing. In which case, you have "executed" an operation, which then allows you the special ability.

So, for the Americans, they can decide (for example) to Sweep an LoC, then decide not to actually do it. It costs 0 resources to do so, but then, the Americans can call in an Air Strike as long as it meets the requirements of either the normal special ability, or any US Capability card in play.

Did my reading lead me to the proper end conclusion?

Thanks,
Brien

Sorry, but no. For an action to be an action, something must actually take place (any in the case of sweep implies at least one piece). If you had just one cube or irregular, you could sweep or train. If you had a base, you could still train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Sorry, but no. For an action to be an action, something must actually take place (any in the case of sweep implies at least one piece). If you had just one cube or irregular, you could sweep or train. If you had a base, you could still train.

Which is why I asked the question ... the Density Factor was starting to read in the double-digits for me.

Thanks,
Brien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Note that one may not Sweep onto a LoC: "3.2.3 Sweep ... Select Provinces or Cities as destinations".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls