Subject: Guess At Monster Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
The difficulty of killing a Kingdom Death monster may vary greatly depending on the gear of the survivors hunting it. For example, a monster with an absolutely devastating mood AI card or trap hit location card might be extremely difficult to beat unless the survivors have equipment that enables them to get rid of that mood or avoid that trap. Also, the random composition and order of the AI deck will make some level 1 lions much harder than others.

With those caveats, let’s guess at the relative difficulty of monsters, based on what little we know of the game’s lore and mechanics. Not only will it kill some time while we wait for the game, it’ll probably be unintentionally hilarious once we’ve all played the game a few times and have discovered that the dragon king is an early game pushover and the screaming antelope is an unkillable death machine.

Here’s my rankings, easiest fight to hardest:

White lion
Butcher
Screaming antelope
King’s man
Man Hunter
Flower Knight
Gorm
Lion Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Spidicules
Sunstalker
Lion God
Phoenix
The Hand
Lonely Tree
The Watcher
Dragon King
The King
The Scribe
Slender Man

(My rankings are for level 1 versions of each, but for extra credit, we could share our uninformed opinions about whether a level 2 gorm would be tougher than a level 1 phoenix or level 3 white lion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
The monsters in the base game basically go
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

I'm not certain on the nemesis, but I think it probably goes
Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

For the expansions, some of the monsters sorta replace the ones in the box, for instance the Gorm can take the place of the White Lion as the beginning monster (you can still hunt the lion also, but it's a bad idea, and you should pick one or the other). From everything I've read it sounds like both the Dragon King and the Sunstalker replace the final enemy and change the way the game starts, so they are probably on par with the Watcher. After them I would assume the Scribe and then the King come next, since they extend the length of the game. I do think your Kingsman is pretty low on the list, I was told he's one of the more powerful nemesis in the game. Not sure about the others, it's probably too early to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nevertellmetheodds wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

For the expansions, some of the monsters sorta replace the ones in the box, for instance the Gorm replaces the White Lion (you can still hunt the lion also, but it's a bad idea, and you should pick one or the other). From everything I've read it sounds like both the Dragon King and the Sunstalker replace the final enemy and change the way the game starts, so they are probably on par with the Watcher. After them I would assume the Scribe and then the King come next, since they extend the length of the game. I do think your Kingsman is pretty low on the list, I was told he's one of the more powerful nemesis in the game. Not sure about the others, it's probably too early to say.

Could you point me in the direction of the information about the gorm replacing the white lion? I have been keeping pretty close track of the game and unless the 2.5 years has dimmed my memory I do not recall seeing this or why hunting both would be bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread seems like a very silly exercise, but...

After them I would assume the Scribe and then the King come next, since they extend the length of the game.

The Scribe, though less impressive looking, is described as being the source of the power behind the kings, so I imagine he's the most powerful. He seems to simply write everything into existence...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Esoba wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

For the expansions, some of the monsters sorta replace the ones in the box, for instance the Gorm replaces the White Lion (you can still hunt the lion also, but it's a bad idea, and you should pick one or the other). From everything I've read it sounds like both the Dragon King and the Sunstalker replace the final enemy and change the way the game starts, so they are probably on par with the Watcher. After them I would assume the Scribe and then the King come next, since they extend the length of the game. I do think your Kingsman is pretty low on the list, I was told he's one of the more powerful nemesis in the game. Not sure about the others, it's probably too early to say.

Could you point me in the direction of the information about the gorm replacing the white lion? I have been keeping pretty close track of the game and unless the 2.5 years has dimmed my memory I do not recall seeing this or why hunting both would be bad.

After going back and finding the Form update (major expansion) I doubt what you're saying even more. Cite your source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's said previously that he apparently heard it from Adam himself at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything I've read it sounds like both the Dragon King and the Sunstalker replace the final enemy and change the way the game starts, so they are probably on par with the Watcher.

This would only be in the case where you are using them for their special campaign variants where yes, they are the final boss.

But that is not the only way you can use them - they can also be normal, huntable monsters in any other campaign. If this were not true, then the armor kits they come with would be pointless.

So Sunstalker and Dragon King can both be huntable (with all 3 Levels, 1 2 and 3), or used in a special campaign where they're the final boss. Both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Elyklord wrote:
From everything I've read it sounds like both the Dragon King and the Sunstalker replace the final enemy and change the way the game starts, so they are probably on par with the Watcher.

This would only be in the case where you are using them for their special campaign variants where yes, they are the final boss.

But that is not the only way you can use them - they can also be normal, huntable monsters in any other campaign. If this were not true, then the armor kits they come with would be pointless.

So Sunstalker and Dragon King can both be huntable (with all 3 Levels, 1 2 and 3), or used in a special campaign where they're the final boss. Both.

I don't think that makes them any less on par with the watcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

After going back and finding the Form update (major expansion) I doubt what you're saying even more. Cite your source.

I was told in person at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
poeticallybored wrote:

After them I would assume the Scribe and then the King come next, since they extend the length of the game.

The Scribe, though less impressive looking, is described as being the source of the power behind the kings, so I imagine he's the most powerful. He seems to simply write everything into existence...

Yeah, I forgot, and wasn't really listing those two in any particular order, but it does sound like the Scribe is a bad dude. That expansion comes with 75 AI cards, so either there are potentially 3 bosses in that box, or the two of them have a LOT of HPs, since most have 25ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:

Yeah, I forgot, and wasn't really listing those two in any particular order, but it does sound like the Scribe is a bad dude. That expansion comes with 75 AI cards, so either there are potentially 3 bosses in that box, or the two of them have a LOT of HPs, since most have 25ish.

25 - The King
25 - The Scribe
25 - Great Game Hunters

Blammo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

I'm not totally sure the Lion isn't tougher than the Antelope. You seem to need more ingredients for the tougher armour kits and the Antelope's looks easier to make a set (Spiral Horn, 4 pelts, 2 hides a bone and a scrap) to the White lion's (5 white lion fur, 1 great cat bone, 3 hide and a bone)

Does anyone know what Armor the Antelope Fur Kit gives?

Of the others I'm reasonably sure that it is Rawhide 1, Lion 2, Leather 3, Phoenix 4.

Phoenix armour requires both leather and iron.

Edit:
Screaming Horns (The Antelope kit helm) is Armor 3 and like Leather the Fur Kit requires a predecessor building (Organ Grinder is needed to build a Stone Circle, just as a Skinnery is needed for a Leather Worker.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of makes me sad that having Gorm would make White Lion obsolete..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
dahak wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

I'm not totally sure the Lion isn't tougher than the Antelope. You seem to need more ingredients for the tougher armour kits and the Antelope's looks easier to make a set (Spiral Horn, 4 pelts, 2 hides a bone and a scrap) to the White lion's (5 white lion fur, 1 great cat bone, 3 hide and a bone)

Does anyone know what Armor the Antelope Fur Kit gives?

Of the others I'm reasonably sure that it is Rawhide 1, Lion 2, Leather 3, Phoenix 4.

Phoenix armour requires both leather and iron.

If it is
Antelope
Lion
Phoenix

Then the reports the Gorm is about the same level as the Lion make more sense.

The lvl 1 lion is the first monster you fight, it's literally the intro fight at the very beginning, year two you gain the ability to hunt the antelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Exo Desta wrote:

Just different options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:

Even if this turns out to be true, what, you only plan on playing the game once? Play it multiple times under different settings, pursuing different strategies, different choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett, you give AI cards to the Great Game Hunters? So we fight them? I have not been able to tell if they were with us or against us.

Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
Brett, you give AI cards to the Great Game Hunters? So we fight them? I have not been able to tell if they were with us or against us.

Interesting.

My money's on the former… I think they are more like assassins being sent into the settlement to remove any other Settlement that may prove too powerful, as they might topple the balance of the power scheme.

They are a lot like a Predator, they're going out to hunt the most powerful enemies that they can find… and these Survivors, that have defeated THE Watcher? Oh yeah, looks like our services are needed…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:

Interesting.

I've always had the impression that the great game hunters were playing off of "man is the most dangerous game," despite it not being particularly true in KD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

This would be so antithetical to absolutely everything he has done for this game thus far. He has added monsters for hunts, made bosses available for hunts, and not "replaced" a single starting monster (final boss not included). So, I have to be rather skeptical this is what Adam meant. I can imagine the likelihood of a misunderstanding is incredibly high. Adam purely exhausted, excitement, and a few badly chosen words. Now I could be wrong, and I guess we'll find out with the Gorm update that should be coming any week. However, it would be utterly shocking for him to all of a sudden "remove" content. Plus he has already talked about upcoming expansions that add more monsters, so why all of a sudden remove a settlement's choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Lantern Festival
The Lantern Festival is the name of the final planned Major Gameplay expansion that will be available thru this kickstarter. It greatly extends the campaign adding rules and story events that proceed the fall of the Watcher. It comes with two of my all time favorite super mysterious monsters, The King & The Scribe, The Twilight Cloak miniature and the Male and Female Great Game Hunter Miniatures!

The Great Game Hunters hail from the only large and greatly established human city in Kingdom Death. They are sometimes friends but usually are foe. By defeating the Watcher, the survivors are plunged into a series of increasingly dangerous challenges that ultimately ( of course ) will lead to their death!

I guess I've always considered them to be more likely a foe.
They may be similar to the Lion Knight and have a table that can determine what actions that take based on the state of the Settlement when they arrive. (IE - They may be contracted to scrub the settlement as a contract, with say, The Scribe.) They may have a range of reactions that are aggressive, helpful, merciful, etc.

(edit) That and the fact that there are 75 AI cards, as well as 75 Hit Location cards lends further credence to the theory that LF has 3 enemies (King/Scribe/GGH)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

This would be so antithetical to absolutely everything he has done for this game thus far. He has added monsters for hunts, made bosses available for hunts, and not "replaced" a single starting monster (final boss not included). So, I have to be rather skeptical this is what Adam meant. I can imagine the likelihood of a misunderstanding is incredibly high. Adam purely exhausted, excitement, and a few badly chosen words. Now I could be wrong, and I guess we'll find out with the Gorm update that should be coming any week. However, it would be utterly shocking for him to all of a sudden "remove" content. Plus he has already talked about upcoming expansions that add more monsters, so why all of a sudden remove a settlement's choice.

Like I said, it doesn't remove or replace the white lion, you can choose either to fight, but the Gorm is on par with the white lion as far as difficulty (which is what this thread was about). You can fight it from the very beginning just like the white lion. And like I said before, you can still hunt the white lion in a campaign that you use the Gorm, it's just counter productive to hunt both and not focus on one or the other (that's the way it was explained to me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

Like I said, it doesn't remove or replace the white lion, you can choose either to fight, but the Gorm is on par with the white lion as far as difficulty (which is what this thread was about). You can fight it from the very beginning just like the white lion. And like I said before, you can still hunt the white lion in a campaign that you use the Gorm, it's just counter productive to hunt both and not focus on one or the other (that's the way it was explained to me)

See that makes complete sense . You used the word "replaces" which means "takes the place of", thus removing the white lion. If a settlement is silly enough to not focus on one or the other than it's their downfall. I was thinking you meant "replace" as you can't hunt both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Esoba wrote:
Lion
Antelope
Phoenix
Watcher.

Butcher
Kingman
Kings hand.

One thing to keep in mind is that Adam has mentioned specific "Guidance" related documents/suggestions for helping to construct Campaigns, because throwing it all into one campaign right off the bat would be a bit much.

I'm under the impression that the LF definitely adds another 10LY or so onto the 25, but that some of the other Major Expansions could add on, say ~5LY after the Watcher.

I think we're all taking stabs at something that so few folks in the world are privy to. Where's Zachary Moroni… He knows. Joe knows. Adam knows… Anna… that one intern they had mentioned a few times last year. I bet Lokman knows… FIND THEM! We must know! laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Yeah, I guess I did say replace poor choice of words, I was thinking in terms of the beginning fight. I tried to explain that you could still hunt the white lion, but did a poor job of explaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.