Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Shipping to Asia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm super excited for this game. I plan on kickstarting it as soon as possible. However, I was wondering what kind of shipping there will be to Asia, specifically to Macau? Will be as outrageous as most kickstarters? I could probably get it shipping to a HK or mainland China address, if that would be cheaper, but since the ship date is so far off, its likely that I would have to change that address at some point.

I'm looking forward to another wildly successful Stonemier kickstarter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
cpugeek13 wrote:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm super excited for this game. I plan on kickstarting it as soon as possible. However, I was wondering what kind of shipping there will be to Asia, specifically to Macau? Will be as outrageous as most kickstarters? I could probably get it shipping to a HK or mainland China address, if that would be cheaper, but since the ship date is so far off, its likely that I would have to change that address at some point.

You might be interested to hear that Stonemaier Games is almost single-handedly responsible for ensuring hundreds of Kickstarters have the best shipping possible.

Okay, that's maybe a bit hyperbolic, but truthfully, if you had a really good Kickstarter experience, there's a very high chance that the Kickstarter was directly, or indirectly, influenced by Stonemaier Games.

Fear not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
cpugeek13 wrote:

Only Jamey Stegmaier can really answer this, but here is the shipping rate chart for their most recent project, Between Two Cities.

I would guess that shipping will be at least that much and maybe/probably more since this seems like it will weight more and be a bigger box. That is purely my own speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fear not and have faith in Jamey; I have backed the Viticulture Collector's Edition and bought a treasure chest separately and the shipping fees for both (I live in Taiwan) were incredibly low (if I am not mistaken shipping for the Collector's Edition was free)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brandon and Dan! The information you conveyed is accurate--we'll be shipping to backers in Asia from Agility in Asia. Scythe is heavier than Between Two Cities, so the numbers in the chart above will be a little different, but they'll be close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the info. Can't wait to back this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Okay, that's maybe a bit hyperbolic, but truthfully, if you had a really good Kickstarter experience, there's a very high chance that the Kickstarter was directly, or indirectly, influenced by Stonemaier Games.

I've never crowdfunded anything for myself, but I've been close to people that have or advising on some, and I always make sure the people running the show know about Jamey's series of posts on how to do it properly. Every one of them has benefited from the info.

Rest assured that a Stonemaier Games KS is a well-run ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks Brandon and Dan! The information you conveyed is accurate--we'll be shipping to backers in Asia from Agility in Asia. Scythe is heavier than Between Two Cities, so the numbers in the chart above will be a little different, but they'll be close.

And this is the reason for Instaback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm instabacking this as well but since I need my copy shipped to South Africa, I am basically resigned to the fact that I will have to pay a reasonably high shipping price when it's funded and then (after waiting out the various strikes and "go-slows" in the SA postal service that will inevitably occur) pay again to collect it. It also means that I will only receive this game well after most of the other backers. It's difficult to be that patient for something that looks so great and that I am only going to get more excited about when the KS campaign launches.

sigh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel: Yeah, South Africa is one of the more difficult areas to ship to. We ship there from Ideaspatcher in France, and they have pretty good worldwide rates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there will be a Polish version of the game (as i heard) - will Polish backers get special shipping treatment? Or will it still be Central Europe charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Filip: Previously I mentioned that I was hoping to have the first print run in English and Polish, but we've decided just to have it be in English. Translations can really slow down the production of the game, and my highest priority will be getting games to Kickstarter backers.

However, we are pursuing partners throughout Europe (including Poland) to print Scythe as soon as possible in other languages.

As for special shipping treatment for Polish backers, I'll see if that's important to Jakub. If so, I'm willing to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
However, we are pursuing partners throughout Europe (including Poland) to print Scythe as soon as possible in other languages.

Can we, from Brazil, have some hope that you guys are looking for parters to print it in Brazilian-Portuguese too?

I know that we will have this info in october, but you we are anxious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have a partner we're hoping to work with in Brazil. For the Kickstarter, they'll be helping to arrange for a group by (of the English version) to help to reduce shipping rates for backers in Brazil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood.

I'm sure that Jakub would like Scyth to be popular in his homeland, and suerly native version would help.

But anyway it has so many touchpoints with polish military (and art) tradition that it would be a must for even in Mandari .

Good luck with KS and i hope to back you up.

My idea is maybe get in touch with guys from Phalanx https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/9426/phalanx and check out on their cooperation by Mare Nostrum campaign from Academy Games. They might know ways to bring it to Poland.

This game has potential here for natural reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That's actually the exact company we're in talks with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you telling me I have to pay twice as much to get the game shipped on the 'wrong' side of the DE/CZ border? "EU friendly" my ass. A few hundred kms cost as much as 2 000 km between Australia and New Zealand? That's bullshit...
[hate ofc not directed towards Stonemaier, this is a global thing]

Maybe I can get a ride to Poland if they get a special deal. Still, CZ is a tiny country so close to Germany/Austria/Poland yet we get the worse end of shipping costs all the time (I.e. Amazon shipped free to Poland, but not CZ).

I'm really excited about Scythe and was hoping for the collectors' edition, but at the same time I can't justify spending much more than $100 on a game, so that'll probably knock it down a level to special edition only. I think it was said somewhere else that there will not be bulk shipping discounts so no luck for saving on shipping that way either

EDIT: Am coming across as pretty whiny, aren't I? Apologies. Dealing with matters of Central European non-essentials costs vs US always put me on the edge. As if we already didn't earn substantially less, we have to pay for stuff more, as well. Well, at least I don't go bankrupt after a single visit to the hospital :-D

To end it on a light note, I wish great success with the campaign and will certainly be getting a copy, even if it ends up having to be the base pledge only :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
To end it on a light note, I wish great success with the campaign and will certainly be getting a copy, even if it ends up having to be the base pledge only :-)

Would it be cheaper to wait for the retail version and buy then? Not to detract from the campaign at all, but in your situation, I just wonder if it would be more realistic to wait for a more widespread release than a Kickstarter campaign allows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically, FLGS around here import the games as well, the cost gets transferred to the end customer anyway and they don't seem to get a better deal (or if they do, they keep it as profit).
Take Imperial Assault, for example. It sells in the US for $65 on Amazon. Here, cheapest you can get is $90, most stores have it for a little over a $100.
The only way we can get games cheap(ish) is, ironically enough, if a local publisher picks them up and pays for a localization and local print (which they mostly won't do because small market) Then you can see things like Munchkin CZ for $12 vs EN for $20, Arkham Horror CZ $40 vs EN $55 etc.

So if they got the base game of Scythe with a MSRP of $60, it would likely cost $80+ anyway (and without any KS stuff I assume).

Seems to me games are getting more expensive for what they offer, as well. Couple years ago I bought Runewars for $80 from a FLGS and comparing the contents of the box as well as the game itself seems like most of today's games with a similar price tag fall a little flat. Scythe looks good, but from what we've seen so far I would have put it in the ballpark of Last Night on Earth for example, which has excellent production qualities yet costs only around $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Are you telling me I have to pay twice as much to get the game shipped on the 'wrong' side of the DE/CZ border? "EU friendly" my ass. A few hundred kms cost as much as 2 000 km between Australia and New Zealand? That's bullshit...
[hate ofc not directed towards Stonemaier, this is a global thing]

It wasn't really double, but $19 vs. $29 for Between Two Cities, but the fact that some of the shipping price is rolled into the base price obscures that, and no matter what it's a significant difference, which I can definitely understand is frustrating. That said, then I'm 100% sure that Jamey is doing everything he can to keep shipping prices low, but some things are out of his control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomas: I understand your frustration. I don't know why it's more expensive to ship to Central EU compared to Western EU. With every fulfillment company I've looked at, there's a big gap between the two. I know you know we're not overcharging you arbitrarily--we're simply charging the cost it takes to ship the game to you from France. Hopefully that cost will drop in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, guys, I really appreciate how active you're being here :-) I just wish that someday central/eastern Europe will be enough of a boardgame market that distribution will be possible from a more local center (can't be that much more expensive to ship to for example Gdansk or Rijeka as opposed to a French port methinks). A man can dream...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Thanks for the response, guys, I really appreciate how active you're being here :-) I just wish that someday central/eastern Europe will be enough of a boardgame market that distribution will be possible from a more local center (can't be that much more expensive to ship to for example Gdansk or Rijeka as opposed to a French port methinks). A man can dream...

Sure, your shipping may be more expensive, but you have Pilsner Urquell, which is a pretty fair trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.