Subject: A game will take...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wales
Hinterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The playing time suggested by wargame companies are laughable and are always worth a look at. I've had some games on my table for weeks, with regular play, despite the stated playing time being 120 minutes or so. Nevertheless, I am quite interested in the playing time, it would be a factor in deciding to purchase a game or not. This game looks excellent and I'm familiar with the CWB series. Thunder at the Crossroads took a long time to play the whole battle - 3 weeks solo, playing a few hours every night on average and two very well-spent Sunday afternoons.

This is a smaller and shorter battle with streamlined systems for combat and movement if I understand the reviews correctly. But it's at the regimental level. Seriously then, how long would, say, the Cornfield scenario actually take? How long would the whole battle take to play? MMP suggest 60 minutes for some scenarios. Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically, assuming you know the game's rules well, I can't see how a game could be completed in 60 minutes.

The full battle would take a ridiculous amount of space and time . . . think more along the lines of the old RSS - this rules system is sleeker and moves "faster" - but that's "faster" relatively speaking. I think using the old RSS as a rule of thumb (if you played that) would be best.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Cornfield scenario will play in 60 minutes. The Sunken Road is quick also. The Campaign Game takes much longer.

[Edit: I should say "much, much, much longer".]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
mbmbmbmbmb

The LoS rules defeated me in this game. Still hopeful of playing it one day. The Cornfield scenario was very enjoyable but I can't remember how long it took. It felt perfectly manageable though - no longer than a short evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Sutton
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The historical one-day battle will probably run around 40 hours of playing time end to end. But if you have played and liked CWB games you will probably like this as much or even more. Great system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweet William None
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ashiefan wrote:

The LoS rules defeated me in this game. Still hopeful of playing it one day. The Cornfield scenario was very enjoyable but I can't remember how long it took. It felt perfectly manageable though - no longer than a short evening.

I did not much care for the LOS rules but I have gotten use to them. It is mainly with long-range artillery is LOS a bugger. Nonetheless, I learned to use the "slope table" and I feel ok.

I have played the cornfield scenario, solitaire, and it probably took me 8 hours about. But I enjoyed it and don't mind it took that long. That speaks to how good the game system is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls