16 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » General

Subject: Similar to what other games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
If you had to compare this game to other games which ones would you choose?
An overall comparation would be great but also a sum of comparations done by taking individualy what seem to be the main aspects of the game such as the dice-rolling-worker-placement mechanism, the variety of roles, the secret routes, the travelling/adventure aspect, etc.
Hope to hear from to imagine a bit better how does it fell when playing it.
Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the dice placement is kind of like Bora Bora, because of the limitations. Completing the contracts is a parallel to the tasks as well. I think Marco Polo probably plays better with 2 or 3 players and Bora Bora shines with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me a little of a much more complex Stone Age. I say this because you place you generally place dice to get resources. Generally higher pips will give you more resources. You generally spend said resources to get VP (Buildings/Contracts) during the game and have to place dice to be able to do this conversion. The dice can also be used to invest in end-of-game VP's. In Stone Age, you do this through the card mechanism. In Marco Polo, it's through routes and Beijing. Both games also have dice manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I'd say the dice placement is kind of like Bora Bora, because of the limitations. Completing the contracts is a parallel to the tasks as well. I think Marco Polo probably plays better with 2 or 3 players and Bora Bora shines with 4.

Yeah I think I called it Cosmic Bora to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
I would add that it is similar to Kingsburg as well, with the dice as workers you place to gather resources in order to generate VPs (through contracts in tVoMP) whereas in Kingsburg you get resources to build buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
Bora Bora + Ticket to Ride sounds good!!
Do you have the feeling of building/living your own adventure while playing or is it more like a point-salad approach were you are mainly optimizing your turns in order to achieve some goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider there to be a similarity to Terra Mystica, in that you want to assess the particular city cards and choose your character based on what will best play to those cards (and other factors of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't see why people compare this to TtR.

I would compare it to Alien Frontier for the dice placement that generate more ressources the higher the dice is.

I would compare it to Stone Age for the dice that generate more ressources the higher the dice is and contracts fullfillement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
Wildhorn wrote:
I really don't see why people compare this to TtR.

I assume it is because of the option to complete your routes but from what I read there is no penalty by not doing so, only less VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I mention TtR as a point of reference when teaching the goal cards but other than that, there isn't much similarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gav DBM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used game similarity only as an aid to teaching my family - and thus is biased by what we own.

Thus the gather resources by placing workers to fulfil contracts is similar to Lords of Waterdeep.

The get victory points for completing a particular route is similar to ticket to ride (as get secret route cards).

None of our games have 'dice' workers or being able to re-use a space taken by another player(for a cost)...so just have to spell that out.

If my family has more experience with Agricola...I'd use that one for the strategy aspect of picking a strategy at the start due to character and route cards...though it is mechanically very different to Agricola (so that is not a good mechanic comparison...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I find the player powers to be too swingy with <4 players. It bears further exploration, but it seems to be a much tighter game at the maximum. Do you have recommended powers to use for 2p?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call it close to Bora Bora and Kingsburg.

If Kingsburg you can mix and match dice to get resources, but that is all they really do.

In Bora Bora your resource and actions are all based on the Dice, with the added element of having to play under the player who used the action before you or use a god ability (while in Marco Polo, you use money).

Now I find Bora Bira a bit more enjoyable overall, as other than your starting goals, all the players start even, and thus you do not get the wild swing from the player powers.

They are all good games in their own ways, and depending on your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enemyoftheworld wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

I find the player powers to be too swingy with <4 players. It bears further exploration, but it seems to be a much tighter game at the maximum. Do you have recommended powers to use for 2p?

I played it 2p once with my daughter - she's 9, so she loves when daddy breaks out the big boy games. We didn't notice the player powers being particularly swingy, but I can totally see how that could happen. Any game gets better with tightness, in my opinion, so long as the tightness isn't suffocating - 5p Rococo is my most recent example. The tightness felt ALMOST too tight at times, then it pulled back as if I'd uttered the safe word. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it, play it again and then play another 20 times. Play with each character at least once(14 plays, *check*). Play with each character with different number of players(not even close after 14 plays). Let's talk then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
I consider there to be a similarity to Terra Mystica, in that you want to assess the particular city cards and choose your character based on what will best play to those cards (and other factors of course).

Yeah, I feel the same way too:

1. Point generation - find the most efficient way to generate points every turn, based on the board setup (like TM round scoring).
2. Character selection - choosing the right character is crucial in doing well.
3. Route expansion - jostling for position on the map.

Scratches the same itch for me in a shorter playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.