21 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dead of Winter foamcore insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep things in order. Just bought a used DoW game and didn't like the mess inside the box. So I made my first custom foamcore insert.
Some of already done inserts were pretty good, but I've put all my cards into sleeves so I couldn't find one that suits my needs.
My goal was to have elements separated for easier game preparing. Cards into groups, tokens into removable box, zombies and survivors separated.

So as you can see there are 6 groups of cards (3 large and 3 smaller), removable box with survivors keep them in place. Tokens are in separated box which fits over small cards and there is a small opening for board too.

I keep dices in string bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice design!

I too will need to tackle DoW soon, once I'm happy with my Xenoshyft box, DoW is next, although I already have the tokens sorted in a small wooden bit box, so I'll design something around that for the cards, standees and board.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyle denna

Sacramento
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very cleverly done. Would you mind if I borrowed that? My wife just got the game and she looked at the mess and said "you can put it away". I like how the middle of the bottom portion allows you to use it to keep the cards pullable during a game but the survivor box slides in nice and neat to keep the cards in the slots during storage. The partially covered zombie section because of that tab you put in is great, too.

You wouldn't happen to have any dimensions on things, would you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What kind of sleeves did you use for your cards and where did you get them? How is the fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
Very nice design!

I too will need to tackle DoW soon, once I'm happy with my Xenoshyft box, DoW is next, although I already have the tokens sorted in a small wooden bit box, so I'll design something around that for the cards, standees and board.

Glad you like it. My design was inspired by others in here – feel free to use it as you need.
Wooden box, seems nice - was it something ready or you made something yourself?

quickstrike wrote:
That is very cleverly done. Would you mind if I borrowed that? My wife just got the game and she looked at the mess and said "you can put it away". I like how the middle of the bottom portion allows you to use it to keep the cards pullable during a game but the survivor box slides in nice and neat to keep the cards in the slots during storage. The partially covered zombie section because of that tab you put in is great, too.

You wouldn't happen to have any dimensions on things, would you?

To be honest planning whole thing took me more time than making it. As I mention already – I liked some of designs seen in here, but have some problems because of sleeves and need to make something by myself.
I made everything on the go, but measuring everything wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'll make some better photos too? Give me few days as I'll be out for the weekend. I'll post something when I'll be back.

grawrold wrote:
What kind of sleeves did you use for your cards and where did you get them? How is the fit?

I use Arcane Arcane Tinmen Standard sleeves (63x88 mm). They are a bit thicker (80 microns) but cheeper than FFG and really resistant. They fit quite well on width but a bit too long on height. I'll post a picture when I'll post dimensions for the insert.
I buy sleeves in my local shop. I used to use Mayday 40 microns sleeves but they convince me to try Tinmen and I liked them much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jiloo wrote:
[q="RemiBureau"]Very nice design!

Glad you like it. My design was inspired by others in here – feel free to use it as you need.
Wooden box, seems nice - was it something ready or you made something yourself?

It was a DIY kit from go7gaming I got from their KS. It's about the same size as your token tray, but with a top, and made out of wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyle denna

Sacramento
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea to use that higher measurement for those of us with smaller sleeves. Adds a little give, a chance to upgrade sleeves if one chooses down the line, and gives a little extra room to grab things when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Visagie
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is AMAZING!

I just bought myself a copy of dead of winter and noticed that packing up was a bit of a bitch.

Any chance of a few instructions/templates on how you made this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snake3y3s wrote:
This is AMAZING!

I just bought myself a copy of dead of winter and noticed that packing up was a bit of a bitch.

Any chance of a few instructions/templates on how you made this?

Thanks.
Been a bit busy lately but will post some instructions as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to keep you waiting, but finally I made dimensions sheet and new photos.

EDIT
You can now dowlnoad Dead of Winter custom foamcore insert plans from files section.

I also made some better pictures of my insert.

Almost empty. Only Zombies and dices are inside.

Cards are in. As mentioned before – all cards are in 80 microns thick sleeves.
On the right side from the top – two stacks of item cards and crossroads cards.
On the left side – survivors cards, objective cards (standard, betrayal and exiled), crisis and main objective cards.

Removable box with survivors standees is in. Keeps the cards in place.

Removable box with all tokens in.

Token box outside.

Here you can see carving I made to put the game board on top.

grawrold wrote:

I use Arcane Tinmen sleeves CCG-size. They fit like this. There is some space, but sleeves are quite thick (80 microns) and they play and shuffle really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick look from the top how I pack all game content inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting this! I know what I'll be doing this holiday weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian laing
United States
san carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont suppose you have a plan we can copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a link to pdf file four posts above.
I put it on my dropbox.
I wasn't sure if I should put it in files section here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you should! Get some

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can now download plans for my insert from files section:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/121569
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Robinson
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So 286 mm is 11.26 inches, which is about 1 full less than both the width and length of the box. Is the base of the insert supposed to fit that loosely in the main box? Love your design, btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinson4623 wrote:
So 286 mm is 11.26 inches, which is about 1 full less than both the width and length of the box. Is the base of the insert supposed to fit that loosely in the main box? Love your design, btw

Hi, as you can see my insert fits box rather tight. I heard from some people that there are some other box dimensions. Even ask Plaid Hat directly but they didn't answer my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dujovne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
Thanks! Great design!

I did it over the weekend but i couldn't find foamcore at the store and did it with something like wood of 3mm instead of 5 so i had to adapt the design a little bit. I still have a lot to sand but at least it's functional.

I haven't done something like this since i was in highschool, it was a great experience. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. I guess there is much more work with wood.
Good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Shaddai
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for this! Your design was well detailed and accurate. My token tray is difficult to fit in but that's down to my inexperience, being my first attempt at an insert. Hopefully I will get a lot more play out of this now that setup will be faster than playing the actual game.

Token and zombie trays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.