“I have learnt to die a long time ago.” – Eddard Stark
Given our last game I think this is an appropriate title
This will be a 2ed game. As a courtesy to the people who have kindly modded games that I played they will all be invited. All further invitations will follow the official PBF Waitlist. If we do not have six players after the first 48 hours anyone can join.
Game Rules and FAQ
• Rulebook PDF from FFG website.
• FAQ v1.4 PDF from FFG website.
• Official Responses from FFG BGG thread.
• Complete FFG Video Tutorial
• We will use the excellent browser map created by:
• How to use the map BGG thread
• More information in the USING THE MAP section below.
PLAY BY FORUM RULES
Credit for the main structure of these rules goes to:
The rules were reorganized and reformatted for easier viewing, and House, Westeros, and Wildlings cards were added in text format by:
I. Game Overview
1. We will use the 2nd edition rules and board with the exceptions mentioned in Section IV: Rule Clarifications and House Rules. If a question is not answered in the rulebook, we will use official responses from FFG and the FAQ. If this still doesn't answer the question, I will make the call.
2. Tides of Battle Cards will not be used.
3. Ravens to other players (private messages / Geekmails / etc.) are not allowed, thus forcing all communication to be posted publicly in the thread. Lying is allowed so lie as much as you want!
4. Westeros cards will be drawn randomly using Geekrolls. The Wildlings deck will be created in advance using random.org's list randomizer and managed by the moderator.
5. Houses will be determined using Geekrolls. Feel free to exchange houses as long as both players agree.
II. Playing by Forum: The Basics
0. Use common sense. You do not need a moderator to resolve anything that does not involve a hidden feature (e.g. bidding). Do not wait for me to tell you to make your move; just check the turn order and resolve your action when it is your turn. You can also post and correct maps as needed. Of course, I will try to help keep things moving along.
1. Let's all work together and avoid unnecessary delays. Please try to check in at least once a day and do not rely only on notifications/subscriptions. Because we are using the browser map, players are encouraged to update the map on their own. (Speaking from experience, it's also a lot more fun when the game moves quickly!)
2. If you will be away from the computer and unable to participate for 2+ days, please notify the moderator and/or the entire group.
3. Players will be replaced at the moderator's and group's discretion if they have not posted in the thread or responded to Geekmail reminders for some time (~2 days, unless the group decides to wait). This is to keep the game moving at a relatively fast pace, which is more fun for everyone.
3b. It is helpful to forward your Geekmail to an email address you check regularly, so that in the worst-case scenario the moderator can Geekmail you and you will notice the Geekmail. This option is under the Settings link in your Geekmail.
4. Use normal text for regular discussions.
5. Use italics for politics and roleplaying (highly encouraged!).
6. Use bold text for in-game moves and actions.
7. If possible, do not edit game-related stuff (actions, politics). If you must, highlight the text that you edited by leaving the old text
striked through (use [ - ] [ / - ] without spaces) to clear up confusion. Someone may read your original post and not notice what has been changed later.
8. To make things easier, we will address each other by our House names (for diplomacy and game actions in particular). You may address me as moderator or just as mod.
9. All players will use banners when posting. Place them at the beginning of every post. To make them appear, type in [ImageID=#######medium] where ####### are the following numbers:
The moderator will use a special banner:
Banners created by:
III. Playing by Forum: Orders, Battles, Bids, Etc.
1. Submitting Orders, Bids, and House Cards: Geekmail me your orders, bids, and House cards. To help keep things clear, all Geekmails should have a subject as prescribed below.
GeekMail Subject Format wrote:
AGoT PBF [Game #] - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - Orders
AGoT PBF [Game #] - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [IT/F/KC/W] Bid: [Bid Amount]
AGoT PBF [Game #] - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [Area Name] - [Card Name]
Example GeekMail Subjects wrote:
Units: 3 (KN, FM)
Order: -1 (M-1)
Card: Send to moderator
Total: 2 + ?
Units: 1 (FM)
Order: 1 (D+1)
Support: 2 (SH, S+1* order)
Total: 4 + ?
1b. Since we are using the browser map, you can preview your orders on the map. Please send me your orders exactly as they should be copied and pasted into the browser map (area names spelled correctly, with a colon and the order after; you can just copy directly from the browser map to the Geekmail). I will of course try to correct syntax when it appears to be breaking the display, but it's helpful if we can get it right the first time. And remember: the responsibility for ensuring the correct order has been selected is yours. (More on this in the USING THE MAP section below.)
1c. After sending me your orders/bids/etc. via Geekmail, post in the thread that you have done so. This will help keep the game moving along.
2. Resolving Combat: To resolve combat, we will use the following steps:
(a) The attacker calculates and posts both his and the defender's initial combat strength. This includes the combat strength of both Houses' units in the embattled area, the combat strength modifier from march or defense orders (+2, +1, +0, or -1), and the combat strength of supporting units and orders from each player's own units.
(b) Both attacker and defender then ask for support from other houses. Those who wish to support any side should declare it by posting their support action in the thread in bold. If support has been declared, the supporter recomputes and posts both parties' modified combat strength. The attacker can send conditional House Cards based on whether support is granted (e.g., send Theon if Baratheon supports, otherwise send Asha).
(c) The attacker Geekmails me his chosen house card and informs everyone by posting that he has already sent his house card to the moderator.
(d) The defender Geekmails me his chosen house card AND posts it in the thread.
(e) The attacker reveals his house card by posting it in the thread.
(f) The attacker or defender may now decide if he will use his Valyrian Steel Blade token.
(g) Anyone may now recompute and post the final combat strength of both parties. Combat resolution follows.
• Steps 2b & 2f are optional and may be skipped.
• In the interest of speeding things up, the attacker may skip Step 2b and proceed with Step 2c. In this case, support from other houses can still be declared as long as the defender has not yet Geekmailed me his house card (Step 2d). All support declared after Step 2d will no longer count.
• In Step 2g, anyone may resolve the combat without waiting for the moderator.
• Below is an example of how to post battle information. You may copy and paste this text and modify it for the current battle.
Battle for Moat Cailin wrote:
Battle for Moat Cailin
Units: 3 (KN, FM)
Order: -1 (M-1)
Card: Send to moderator
Total: 2 + ?
Units: 1 (FM)
Order: 1 (D+1)
Support: 2 (SH, S+1* order)
Total: 4 + ?
3. Out-of-Turn Actions: Please try to refrain from out-of-turn actions. You may think that it will not affect what other players are doing, but in a game this complex, you never know what your actions might influence! If you will be away from the computer or just want to help keep the game moving, you can Geekmail me your out-of-turn orders. If you do post out-of-turn orders in the thread, you are bound to them.
4. Changes to Orders, Bids, and House Cards: I will accept changes to orders, bids, and House cards until I have a response from each player. If the last player I was waiting for already submitted their order, bid, or House card, then nothing can be changed. If an order, bid, or House card was posted in the thread, it is binding.
4b. At the same time, this is a game, so if you make a genuine mistake and want to take it back, we can allow it if the entire group agrees. But we'll try to avoid this to keep the game moving.
5. Mistakes and Errors: If you see something wrong--from the moderator or another player--let the group know right away! I will do my best to correct any mistakes as fairly as possible.
IV. Rule Clarifications and House Rules
1a. Game of Thrones Westeros II Card: Players collect one Power Token for each Port with at least one of your ships and no enemy Ships in the adjacent sea.
1b. Dark Wings, Dark Words Westeros II Card: If "Collect Power Tokens" is chosen, it will be handled the same way as the "Game of Thrones" Westeros Card.
2. Not Enough Order Tokens: This rule will be ignored completely in order to keep the game moving at a faster pace. Should this situation arise and you notice that the players after you on the Iron Throne track have not yet submitted their orders, it is good gaming style to inform those players which areas did not receive an order.
3. CP* Orders: I will assume by default that you want your CP* order to be resolved as your last CP order, thus mustering later than another player with a lower ranking on the Iron Throne track but with less CP orders. Should you wish to forfeit this advantage, please say so explicitly either in your orders or at any point during the action phase, but before the mustering happens.
4. Faulty Order Placement: If something is wrong with the orders as you submitted them to the moderator, the following ruleset is valid:
(a) if a player has more special orders on the map than allowed, extra orders are downgraded (if possible) according to alphabetical area order.
(b) extra orders left on the map after step (a) are completely removed in alphabetical area order.
(c) if after step (b) or by a player's mistake there are areas without orders, the areas remain without orders. (Note, however, that per the rules all areas must receive orders, so please do not deliberately issue invalid orders or decline to give areas orders to gain an advantage [not including the situation of not having enough order tokens].)
(d) if a player placed a forbidden order (per a Westeros III card), it is removed without replacement.
(e) if the map shows something different than what you intended, the orders as displayed on the map stand (double check your orders are what you want!).
(f) if I did catch a mistake that you've made, I will Geekmail you to notify you of your mistake and you will be able to change your orders up to the point that all the houses have sent their orders. Once all orders are in, your orders are final!
Note: Grace can be shown in cases of mistaken orders if all players agree. This is left to the moderator's and group's discretion.
5. Retreating and Ships in Port: Should you lose a battle and be forced to retreat from land that has a port, you immediately lose control of any ships in port and as such those ships do not count against your supply. Your opponent can later decide to replace or destroy them.
6. Leaving Power Tokens in Areas: Upon leaving an area, the standard and assumed play is that you have not chosen to leave a Power Token to establish control of a vacated area unless you have declared your intentions of doing so. Here is an example:
Leaving a Power Token wrote:
March-1 from Riverrun: FM to Seagard. Leave PT.
Grace may be given to players that forgot to leave a PT but had wanted to provided only a march or two have passed, provided no players object. As always, your posted orders are binding unless your opponents have mercy on you and no one objects to a revision. The moderator reserves the right of special consideration regarding this rule.
V. Final Comments
This is a game, and games are meant to be fun. Please remember this as there may be circumstances in which you become frustrated, tense, and even angry. But, this is all part of the charm and appeal of this game. Having said that, make threats and blast your opponents with insults (within reason) while posting in-game role-playing. Try to keep out of character communication as civil as possible. And remember: Have fun!
USING THE MAP
• On top of the screen is a semi transparent black bar, when you move your mouse cursor over it a menu should slide down.
• There are clickable links to show/hide Power Tokens, units, and/or orders at the top of the drop-down semi-transparent black bar.
• Hovering your mouse over an order token will also cause it to temporarily disappear so you can see the units underneath. (If a unit is on top of a power token, click the "Show/hide units" text to temporarily hide the units.)
• Power Tokens are displayed on the bottom-left of the Wildlings track in the format X/Y, where X = Power Tokens currently possessed by each player and Y = Power Tokens remaining in the pool.
• Each area should be on its own line.
• To place units or order tokens, enter the area name followed by a colon and space, then the unit name or order name. Make sure to use the correct text box.
• To remove units or order tokens, you can simply delete the units or order, but leave the area name followed by a colon and space (": "). If there is not a colon and space, it can break the display, but leaving the area names in can save time retyping them. Alternatively, you can just delete the entire line.
• To place a Power Token on the board, simply add the area to the "Powertokens in areas" box on the House Settings page. Make sure to decrease the number of available Power Tokens.
• To specify a port, add " - Port" after the area name. Make sure there is a space before and after the hyphen.
• Important: Blank lines, misspellings, and extra spaces can break the display. If something isn't showing up, check for these errors. Note that the case does not matter (FM and fm both work).
• Footman: FM, Footman
• Knight: KN, Knight
• Siege Engine: SE, Siege
• Ship: SH, Ship
• Routed units: Add routed- before the name given above (e.g., routed-KN)
• Multiple units: Separate with commas (even for multiple units of the same type) (e.g., FM, FM, KN)
Note: There are different options for entering orders (see the thread on using the map for more information if you're curious), but I think the options below are the most clear (every order shows combat strength modifier, and every starred order has a star), so please try to use these. I will try to confirm your orders are correct, but ultimately the responsibility is yours, especially since you can edit the map yourself to preview your orders.
• March-1: M-1
• March+0: M+0
• March+1*: M+1*
• Defend+1: D+1 (D is also ok)
• Defend+2*: D+2*
• Support: S
• Support+1*: S+1*
• Raid: R
• Raid*: R*
• Consolidate Power: CP
• Consolidate Power*: CP*
• Units, Orders, and Power Tokens boxes place units, orders, and Power Tokens on the board. For example:
House Settings in Browser Map wrote:
Dragonstone: Footman, Knight
King's Landing: KN, SE
Crackclaw Point: FM
Shipbreaker Bay: SH, routed-SH
Blackwater Bay: Ship
King's Landing: CP*
Crackclaw Point: D+1
Shipbreaker Bay: R
Blackwater Bay: S+1*
Powertokens in areas:
Influence Tracks & Dominance Tokens
• Each House, garrison, and neutral force should be on its own line.
• When a garrison or neutral force is destroyed, delete the line from the garrisons box.
• To adjust the House order on the various tracks, use the appropriate text box(es). (Try to remember to update the victory track after capturing a castle or stronghold!)
• When a dominance token (Valyrian Steel Blade or Messenger Raven) has been used for the round, you can check the appropriate box on this page to overlay a "used" indicator on the main board display.
• The round marker and Wildlings strength can also be adjusted here.
Sharing the Map
• Every time you change anything, a new tinyurl.com link should appear in the black bar at the top of the screen. Post this link in the thread. Sometimes it fails to create a valid link, so please check if you have a valid tinyurl link before submitting your post.
• Occasionally, there is no tinyurl link on the black bar. If this happens, click the Power Token display in the upper-left corner of the board to increase and then decrease the PT count (from 5/15 to 4/16 back to 5/15). This should generate the link without needing to re-enter information.
 Eddard Stark: 2 Swords
 Robb Stark: If you win this combat, you may choose the area to which your opponent retreats. You must choose a legal area where your opponent loses the fewest units.
 Roose Bolton: If you lose this combat, return your entire House card discard pile into your hand (including this card).
 Greatjon Umber: 1 Sword
 Ser Rodrik Cassel: 2 Fortifications
 The Blackfish: You do not take casualties in this combat from House card abilities, Combat icons, or Tides of Battle cards.
 Catelyn Stark: If you have a Defense Order token in the embattled area, its value is doubled.
 Tywin Lannister: If you win this combat, gain two Power tokens.
 Ser Gregor Clegane: 3 Swords
 The Hound: 2 Fortifications
 Ser Jaime Lannister: 1 Sword
 Tyrion Lannister: You may cancel your opponent's chosen House card and return it to his hand. He must choose a different House card to reveal. If he has no other House cards in his hand, he cannot use a House card this combat.
 Ser Kevan Lannister: If you are attacking, all of your participating Footman (including supporting Lannister footmen) add +2 combat strength instead of +1.
 Cersei Lannister: If you win this combat, you may remove one of your opponent's Order tokens from anywhere on the board.
 Stannis Baratheon: If your opponent has a higher position on the Iron Throne Influence track than you this card gains +1 combat strength.
 Renly Baratheon: If you win this combat, you may upgrade one of your participating Footmen (or one supporting Baratheon Footman) to a Knight.
 Ser Davos Seaworth: If “Stannis Baratheon” is in your discard pile, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon
 Brienne of Tarth: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
 Melisandre: 1 Sword
 Salladhor Saan: If you are being supported in this combat, the combat strength of all non-Baratheon Ships is reduced to 0.
 Patchface: After combat, you may look at your opponent's hand and discard one card of your choice.
 Euron Crow's Eye: 1 Sword
 Victarion Greyjoy: If you are attacking, all of your participating Ships (including supporting Greyjoy Ships) add +2 to combat strength instead of +1.
 Theon Greyjoy: If you are defending an area that contains either a Stronghold or a Castle, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon.
 Balon Greyjoy: The printed combat strength of your opponent's House card is reduced to 0.
 Asha Greyjoy: If you are not being supported in this combat, this card gains two Sword icons and one Fortification icon.
 Dagmar Cleftjaw: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
 Aeron Damphair: You may immediately discard two Power tokens to discard Aeron Damphair and choose a different House Card from your hand (if able).
 Mace Tyrell: Immediately destroy one of your opponent's attacking or defending Footmen units.
 Ser Loras Tyrell: If you are attacking and win this combat, move the March Order token used into the conquered area to resolve again later this round.
 Ser Garlan Tyrell: 2 Swords
 Randyll Tarly: 1 Sword
 Alester Florent: 1 Fortification
 Margaery Tyrell: 1 Fortification
 Queen of Thorns: Immediately remove one of your opponent's Order tokens in any area adjacent to the embattled area other than the March Order token used to start this combat.
 The Red Viper: 2 Swords, 1 Fortification
 Areo Hotah: 1 Fortification
 Obara Sand: 1 Sword
 Darkstar: 1 Sword
 Nymeria Sand: If you are defending, this card gains a fortification icon. If you are attacking, this card gains a sword icon.
 Arianne Martell: If you are defending and lose this combat, your opponent may not move his units into the embattled area. They return to the area from which they marched. Your own units must still retreat.
 Doran Martell: Immediately move your opponent to the bottom of one Influence track of your choice.