1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game as awesome as it looks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked into this game whole lot, but it seemed like it is a really cool game from what I can tell.

How much do you enjoy it? How often do you play it? I'm curious if there's variety as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get to travel the world collecting treasures by overcoming dangerous traps and beasts, and beating up Nazis and Mobsters to boot! This game is completely awesome!

I play it less than I did for awhile, but it's always a hit for my gaming groups. There's a lot of rules and mechanics that needs a watchdog during play, but as long as there's one person at the table who really knows the rules and can keep an eye on things (almost like a GM who's in the game), it goes really smoothly.

Also, sometimes you get into a fist fight with a Panzer tank full of Nazi gold, so the stories that emerge from this game are tremendous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played a couple of times. I think it does need the expansions but yes I thought it was a great fun "ride" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of it and have all of the expansions. We've had some epic games that came down to the wire! The rulebook is atrocious but using some of the files on BGG will help and getting a file from orderofgamers.com is a plus! Expect to take some time to learn it if you don't have anyone you know that can teach you.

It's a lot of fun if you don't take it and yourself seriously. I will say that the length of the game has detoured us from playing it often as of late but that is probably because we've got a 10 month old crawling around that has impeded some of our game time. =) However, you can cut down on the length by making two teams if you have a good number of players.

If you can get someone to have that Trans-Atlantic accent to add some theatre to it. =) "Last time we left Alex, he was facing off with a abominable snowman, will he survive!?" You will also have odd things happen, like fighting a tank on a nazi submarine but that's just hilarious. But all of that dice is a chuck-fest and is a lot of fun!

It is also versatile, co-op vs AI, competitive, teams, teams and vs AI, competitive and vs AI. I recommend doing a basic competitive game first to get the hang of it.

Any more questions, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game, either solo or with a small group. Every game tell a wonderful story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're an Indiana Jones fan, and a boardgamer, then get this game. Simple as that. It captures the IJ theme better than any other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, but play with a smaller group. We played 8 (allowed by the rules, with team play), and it dragged on for like 6 hours.

This was actually my gateway game! We still play it several times a year. You can get many plays before you need the expansions, but they are both worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
I guess it is a game that people either love or hate.

I tried playing this game twice and we gave up on it after about eight turns. When I discussed it with people in my gaming group their comments were:

-"Horrible game"
-"Extremely boring"
-"Way too random"
-"What you do during the game has little effect on who ends up winning"

There is one guy who really likes the game but nobody in the gaming group will play the game with him a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:

I tried playing this game twice and we gave up on it after about eight turns. When I discussed it with people in my gaming group their comments were:

-"Horrible game"
-"Extremely boring"
-"Way too random"

There is one guy who really likes the game but nobody in the gaming group will play the game with him a second time.

Quite true. Gamers who like theme will love it, the more "cerebral" extreme-eurogamers will hate it. I had a similar experience reported to me about Family Business: played with straight faces and no emotion (by hard-core Bridge players, it seems), it was utterly boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with Fortune and Glory is that it suffers from too many "unless"es.

Do this to resolve an adventure, unless you are in the deep jungle, then do this. Unless it's a temple, then do this. Unless there's a villain there, then do this. Unless there's a zeppelin adjacent, then do this. Unless you're playing the co-op version of the game, then do this.

That really isn't an exaggeration. This game should be fun, exciting, seat of your pants, easy to resolve action from beginning to end. It ends up being a constant referral to flow charts and the rule book.

It does ooze theme. It has great components. The base game mechanic is solid. I was really taken by this game the first couple of times we played, even to the point of wanting to create my own adventurers based on some favorite pulp characters. We gave the game like 7 plays, and the only way we had even a modicum of fun out of it was when we played the competitive game, not the co-op.

You may love it. I keep hoping someone takes the base components and re-writes the rules to make (what I consider) a fun game out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a "theme first, last and always" game. Tons of dice chucking, card drawing, random adventure action. If that sounds like your kind of game, then it's a blast. If you want tough, meaningful decisions that clearly impact the outcome of the game, take a pass on this one.

Recommended player counts:
Competitive: 1-5
Cooperative: 2-4
Team (my favorite): 4-8 (stick with two teams if at all possible)

Also, take a look at a brand new game with similar (but I think improved) mechanics: Secrets of the Lost Tomb. Same Indiana Jones pulp fiction adventure, but with a cohesive scenario-driven gameplay and quicker turn structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Urhixidur wrote:
azmod2000 wrote:

-"Horrible game"
-"Extremely boring"
-"Way too random"

Quite true. Gamers who like theme will love it, the more "cerebral" extreme-eurogamers will hate it. I had a similar experience reported to me about Family Business: played with straight faces and no emotion (by hard-core Bridge players, it seems), it was utterly boring.

It's not as straightforward as this. The people I was talking to are actually much more casual gamers (they will gladly play games like Animal Upon Animal and general party games). I am probably one of the bigger eurogamers in the group and I like Fortune and Glory more than they do.

I think the issue is the extreme reliance on luck that the game has. People have a threshold on how much pure luck they can tolerate in a board game and this game tends to go beyond most people's threshold. One unflattering comparison was "Snakes and Ladders with theme".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great, my only concern is just two things:

1. My group tend to take longer than games should. As a result, games that are an hour or longer tend to drag as it splits people up and they miss out on games together.

2. I'm horrible at rules. Once I get it,I get it but I always seem to fall into the weird moments where the book says nothing about or that it isn't clear on... Spector ops was a pain for me, whitechapel it's easy now),

Regardless, I'm not dismissing this game in just curious in light of these things what should I expect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
"What you do during the game has little effect on who ends up winning"

I've yet to play this - still in shrink, but when I do, I certainly wouldn't play it as anything but co-op. These types of "experience" type games - Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, etc. - are even more fun when you can look back at your win or loss as a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of my favorites.

When suggesting a game, I often toss this one out as a suggestion. My brother has called this 'tossing a nuke' because the game is so awesome that it is hard to turn down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mangekyo wrote:

1. My group tend to take longer than games should. As a result, games that are an hour or longer tend to drag as it splits people up and they miss out on games together.

2. I'm horrible at rules. Once I get it,I get it but I always seem to fall into the weird moments where the book says nothing about or that it isn't clear on... Spector ops was a pain for me, whitechapel it's easy now),

Regardless, I'm not dismissing this game in just curious in light of these things what should I expect?

Those can be definite issues with this game. The guy who taught me this game completely failed to take into account that a 5 player game with 4 complete newbies would take a long, long time and would have a lot of downtime for the players. Since he was couching each player during his/her turn he failed to realize just how bored everyone else was. One of the other players actually pulled out his tablet and started doing homework.

There are a lot of different decks and sub rules and if the person teaching the game bogs down in rules explanations, it will bore everyone and make it less likely that they pay attention to the rules explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
azmod2000 wrote:
"What you do during the game has little effect on who ends up winning"

I've yet to play this - still in shrink, but when I do, I certainly wouldn't play it as anything but co-op. These types of "experience" type games - Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, etc. - are even more fun when you can look back at your win or loss as a group.

This (and FFP's earlier A Touch of Evil) both have the "feature" of co-op and competitive rules. FanG works best as a co-op, I feel, whereas AToE is better played competitively. I think both games really start to show some cracks when played the alternate way. For example, competitive FanG requires someone to keep track of a vile organization who is also coincidentally mucking things up along the way for the players who are already in competition. Not much fun for the amount of effort required. Co-op FanG is spectacular in an Ameritrash way, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
This (and FFP's earlier A Touch of Evil) both have the "feature" of co-op and competitive rules. FanG works best as a co-op, I feel, whereas AToE is better played competitively. I think both games really start to show some cracks when played the alternate way. For example, competitive FanG requires someone to keep track of a vile organization who is also coincidentally mucking things up along the way for the players who are already in competition. Not much fun for the amount of effort required. Co-op FanG is spectacular in an Ameritrash way, though.

See, I feel the opposite. I can't imagine playing ATOE as a competitive game, and I find FanG to be less fun co-op. To each their own, eh?

For ATOE I don't like the idea that these characters would basically be helping the monster by working against the other players to save the town. Doesn't make thematic sense to me (YMMV). For FanG I really like the idea of all these treasure hunters racing to be the most famous and rich of them all, and everyone takes their path to get there (and a few bumps along the way from Event cards). That's the beauty of these games though really, there's lots of ways to play them and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game in all its iterations. The best way I can think of to describe the actual playing experience is that, "I AM Indiana Jones!"
Oh! and one thing more, "You're gonny need a bigger table!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:

Watch a couple of play-through videos on here to see what it is really like - most of the rules will be covered only leaving a few isolated "special" rules for you to refer back to the rule book for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a basic ruleset that the game designers encourage new players to use. It leaves out all of the really complicated stuff like Villains, Vile Organizations, Temples, Deep Jungle, sub-text and symbols on adventure cards, etc. The two-page quick setup guide will get you going quickly with the basic rules. While I think the game is much more fun with all of the game elements, it's probably not the best way to introduce it to new players.

Also, the competitive game is the most simple ruleset. Trying to play co-op or team involves more rules, so try it competitive first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
How much do you enjoy it? How often do you play it? I'm curious if there's variety as well

This is one of the first "designer" or "hobby" board games I ever bought. I love the theme and how the game is about theme and generating a story. Although I tend to play more euro and strategy games, I really like this for what it is.

That said, in all the years I've owned it, I think I've played it about 3 times and one of those was solo. The thing is, that's not because of the theme, the dice mechanics, or a lack of interest. It's because, I think, this game is really complex for what at heart is just "move your character, roll dice to overcome the next obstacle".

I've come to the conclusion, after recently breaking the game out again to give it another shot, that the only way to reasonably play this game with casual to moderate gamers, is for one person to be the absolute expert on the rules and for that person to run the game almost like a game master would in an RPG. There's no way to teach all of the rules to anyone without their eyes glazing over and them losing interest before the first turn even starts. I think the expert needs to walk the players through their options on their turns (at least until they remember for themselves) and then the expert can deal with all of the housekeeping.

The rule book that comes with the game is indecipherable and I would strongly recommend learning from the fan-made "Complete Rulebook" that is here on BGG. The problem with that is that it doesn't slowly introduce you to the rules. It throws you in at the deep end. But at least it presents everything in an ordered and logical way. Plus, I will say that while that it covers a lot, all of those things really add a lot of flavor and depth to the game.

The problem I think you'll have though, since you say that you're horrible at rules, is that I don't think this game is playable trying to look up the rules on the fly. Someone at the table has to have internalized the rules well enough to keep the game flowing. Even at the best of times, the turn sequence and game flow is not really streamlined. Some of the mechanics of the game just feel "clunky" no matter what you do. The end result being that players will get bored and confused if they don't have someone who really understands the game to guide them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game. If you love board games and love indiana jones... this is a game for you.

I don't find it terribly complicated. But then my view may be skewed considering my favorite games...

I don't play it nearly often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Mangekyo wrote:

Well, so far my friends and I have had a really good time playing FanG; we've played 3 competitive games so far and really enjoyed each session.

Our first session was with the quick start rules, though we figured out quickly that we should have just gone with all the bells & whistles to begin with; we've played lots of Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror and the like, so many of FanG's mechanics were pretty familiar (though of course your mileage may very; if you're kinda new to theme/mechanic-heavy games like those produced by Flying frog Productions or Fantasy Flight Games, then the quick start rules may be the way to go).

As for variety, I'd say it's pretty good that way. It has three game modes (Competitive, Cooperative and Team) and different ways to gain Fortune (the game's "victory points"): hunting for Artifacts, exploring Temples, stealing Nazi gold from the Zeppelin, completing secret missions from certain Event cards, etc. Also, the Dangers/Cliffhangers have a pretty good mix of different Skill challenges and there are different types of enemies to fight (the Nazis even have their own Enemies deck). The Heroes are a good mix of Skill levels and Abilities as well, promoting different play-styles.

The only thing we haven't liked so far is how fast the Zeppelin amasses Nazi gold (Fortune) in the Competitive game; by the standard rules, you add 1 Fortune to it every time it moves - which is every turn. For Fight-heavy Heroes, this has the effect of turning the Zeppelin into a flying piñata that bleeds Fortune every time they storm it. We fixed this by changing it to where the Zeppelin only acquires Fortune if it actually reaches its intended destination.

If you do decide to buy FanG and find that you enjoy it, I highly recommend getting the Treasure Hunters expansion; it adds more of everything - more Heroes, Villains, Dangers (can never have enough of those), Gear, Allies, etc, etc. Also, the "explore the Docks" tokens and Personal Missions adds some variety.

Well, that went on much longer than I intended. But anyway, hope my little two cents (or ten...) helps.

Game On!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking at getting this game however I am not 100% convinced.

Anyone help me with these questions?

Looks like it has similarities to Last Night on Earth with an Indiana Jones theme.

Worried about the amount of time between shots with people getting bored.

Is there a lot of replay ability?

Would I be better off with Eldritch Horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.