Subject: Empty Account Running - Bank Accounts Considered Harmful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Bank Accounts Considered Harmful
Forward

For a number of years I have been familiar with the observation that the quality of runners is a decreasing function of the density of credits in the accounts their programs draw from. More recently I discovered why the use of the plebeian accounts has such disastrous effects, and I became convinced that the credit pool accounts should be abolished from all "higher level" running jobs (i.e. everything except, perhaps, code busting). At that time I did not attach too much importance to this discovery; I now submit my considerations for publication because in very recent discussions in which the subject turned up, I have been urged to do so.

My first remark is that, although the runner's activity ends when he has gained entry to a server and jacked out, the process taking place under control of his accounts is the true subject matter of his activity, for it is this process that has to accomplish the desired effect; it is this process that in its dynamic behavior has to satisfy the desired specifications. Yet, once the accounts have been drawn, the "filling' of the corresponding accounts is delegated to the runner once again.

My second remark is that our intellectual powers are rather geared to master static credit efficiencies and that our powers to visualize processes evolving in time are relatively poorly developed. For that reason we should do (as wise runners aware of our limitations) our utmost to shorten the conceptual gap between the retrieval of credit resources and the dynamic process of running, to make the correspondence between the run (spread out in virt-space) and the fund raising (spread out in time) as trivial as possible.

~ Whizzard ~

References
Dijkstra, Edsger W, Goto Considered Harmful
The Professor, New Technology Destroys the Old
Nasir, On the Social Engineering Hack as it Applies to ICE and Bank Accounts

---

Hedge Mage - Accounts Considered Harmful

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (9)
2x Forked (Order and Chaos)
2x Knifed (Order and Chaos)
2x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
3x Stimhack (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
3x Dyson Fractal Generator (Double Time)
2x MemStrips (Order and Chaos)
1x Skulljack (Chrome City)
1x Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (6)
3x Drug Dealer (Old Hollywood) •••
3x Ice Analyzer (Creation and Control) •••

Icebreaker (8)
3x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Mimic (Core Set)
2x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ••••

Program (11)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
3x Multithreader (Data and Destiny) •••
3x Parasite (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

~ I'd like to discuss this deck, how to make it better and the general concept of running without a bank account. A kind of hardmode archtype that I find appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the first thing to consider is the number of clicks you will have to spend gaining a credit.

You have 10 credits worth of events, which you need to gain credits to play.

You have 22 credits worth of hardware, which you need to gain credits to play.

Assuming you are expecting to be completely broke when your turn begins (from Drug Dealers), Spinal Modem will be impossible to play at some point in the game. Other hardware and events will take much / all of your turn to play.

Because of this, will 3x Drug Dealer draw you cards faster than you can afford to play them?

Armitage definitely seems like it would help greatly with this strategy. One click to prepare any utensil. Two clicks at most to install any hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
It's a good point, a few gold fishes was pointing in this direction. Wonder what's unimportant enough to lose for armitage. Will think on it and maybe play it. Was also considering going to 2x of each breaker and getting a few darwins in...

Modded would be good if there's space, but I think in this case ice analyzer is likely better for the multithreaders. Maybe along similar lines compromised employee could be a good source of cheap creds... Will think about it.

(Obviously you could also just Faust, but I'm trying to explore the recurring credit thing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a terrible deck a while back which I never got to test called 'pre-paid game card' that was all about recurring credits.

You have a lot of Hardware. Have you considered the almost-surely-terrible Inside Man? You'd probably also want Aesop or Chop-bot (shudder) to get rid of them when they'd served their purpose too.

I would definitely look into Compromised Employee. It's great with Ice destruction and Spinal Modem (to not get brained).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cable
msg tools
RE:
The other big problem with not having a bank account on the corps turn, is sea source, and midseasons. I would say Cerebral Cast, but it's not as common. But yeah, if you have no credits, you can't beat those traces, and you will be tagged and blown up. How are you dealing with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
Drug Dealer lets you draw on the Corp's turn, which is HUGE. Having a six or seven card hand makes murder exponentially more difficult. In the event of a Midseasons, sure, it's a problem, but... I dunno, Film Critic will scare them off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It eats up a lot of influence, but Personal Workshop is a beauty to get all those programs and hardware out.

Ghost Runner and Net Celebrity also come to mind as options.

Edit: Oh, and the MWL hurts a lot with this card list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.