Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the rules seem pretty tight. I just have 2 minor questions, and one is more of quibble.

quibble:
In Tolentino 20, while I understand why D'Aquino's division has a blue combat factor, wouldn't it have been easier to just give it a yellow one?

clarification:
In Waterloo 20, Kellermann's Cavalry is a guard formation but not an elite one?

If memory serves me (shaky ground) I believe Kellermann has a division of the Guard Cavalry attached, so are you opining that there would be some reluctance to commit, but no significant combat benefit (other than increased strength)? That makes sense, I'm just curious if that was the intent.

Haven't had a crack at the new Waterloo 20 yet, but Tolentino 20 is waaaay more balanced (and fun) than the rules would lead you to believe. Unless you roll and/or draw badly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
...while I understand why D'Aquino's division has a blue combat factor, wouldn't it have been easier to just give it a yellow one?

Yellow denotes "unreliable," and although d'Aquino is "unreliable" he also has a lot of other disadvatages applied to him. We use the Blue combat strength to denote non-standard attributes, and in this case I felt it was a good "catch all" choice for d'Aquino to serve as a mnemonic for all those other limitations he has.

phormio wrote:
Kellermann's Cavalry is a guard formation but not an elite one? If memory serves me (shaky ground) I believe Kellermann has a division of the Guard Cavalry attached, so are you opining that there would be some reluctance to commit, but no significant combat benefit (other than increased strength)?

Yes. It was a judgement call on my part. With the Guard light cavalry attached, Kellerman's corps came close enough to the threshold between rating it a 1-strength or 2-strength unit that we could have gone either way. With the addition of two new Allied cavalry units (Collaert & von Hobe) we felt the French needed a bit of a boost, so the 2-strength version was chosen.

However, once we made that choice we started having some balance issues with the extended (15th start) scenario -- throwing that big heavy cavalry unit around early on allowed the French to advance much faster than we felt they should. Needing to do something to "reign in" the French player's ability to employ the 2-strength Kellermann, we added the "Guard" trait to make it a bit more problematic to employ the unit to its full capability. It worked nicely.

phormio wrote:
Haven't had a crack at the new Waterloo 20 yet, but Tolentino 20 is waaaay more balanced (and fun) than the rules would lead you to believe. Unless you roll and/or draw badly...

That's the only issue I had with Tolentino: luck plays a more prominent role in this game than I like (but it's appropriate, given the situation). In particular, the "Scapezano" event can completely swing things to the extreme if it comes up at the wrong time with a one-sided outcome for the off-map action. Jack Gill (the designer) and I talked about this a lot during development, and we both agreed that Murat should have won had he not lost his nerve worrying about the possibility of Niepperg showing up in his rear, but it's really tough to model that sort of uncertainty. I think the way we chose to do it does it as well as you can given the delays and uncertainties of communications in those days.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lance. Prompt reply as usual. Much appreciated.

Now what are those yellow and purple stars for?

(on the Tolentino map, not dancing in front of my eyes)

Last thing, I swear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
Now what are those yellow and purple stars for?

You can ignore them. They're the starting deployment hexes for a "free set-up" version of the shorter "Historical" scenario that we decided to drop at the last minute. We found that with all the various limits/restrictions required for that alternate version to play out correctly, it was easier to just use the assigned set-up. Jack asked us to leave the set-up stars on the map in case he decides to post the information for that scenario at a later date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.