Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
159 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Hot News - New Commands and Colors Game - American Revolution - Richard Borg and Compass Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received an email news blast from Compass games stating the following:

"Hot off the press Compass Games will be publishing Richard Borg Tricorne American Revolution a Command in Colors system. Release Date May 2016. Will Include Minatures of Battle Cry and Memoir 44 quality."

Wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! This just became an immediate addition to my "to buy" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would prefer blocks.

But that's not a deal breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOOW! That's a great info! TY for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Borg...revolution...miniatures...of?!?! Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a COIN game? This one is plugged as a COIN game...I like the period but have no clue here whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I give him more money now!!!????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
would prefer blocks too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news. I know he has had an Age of Reason/Linear Warfare design in hand ready to go for a while.

I hope the AWI title will lead to other volumes reflecting the period, but AWI's a good place to start. Even though I like Clash for a Continent/Hold the Line a lot, I'll be in for this one.

Plus, my own view is that figures trump blocks, especially the stand-up variety that are in their own shadow unless laid flat. I already have a lot of Old Glory 10mm AWI figs for Clash/HtL that will work fine for this game, but prefer figures to square blocks.

I wouldn't have minded rectangles with stickers of a configuration similar to Napoleon's Triumph, with front/top/rear views of troops in line, but what the heck, it'll be great anyway.

Good news indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
Borg...revolution...miniatures...of?!?! Count me in! :D

Just too bad it is more or less a year away . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm so there....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 - sign me up.

Hopefully the game will also incorporate and further develop the tactics cards originating in Battlelore (lore cards) and now included in The Great War and apparently being introduced into C&CN - our group refers to them as the "dirty tricks" cards and I think they add a lot to the tactics and thematic of those games that have them in addition to the regular Command Cards.

Now we just need Renaissance and Medieval for C&C to cover just about every period of military history and fantasy/si-fi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
How do I give him more money now!!!????

Won't be too hard to do, as this is going to be a Kickstarter offering. That is what I found out when I responded to the Compass notice yesterday. Not too worried about that, though, as the game system is tried and true, and I don't expect any problems with Compass' track record. It will mean we will spend our money sooner rather than later! And maybe, because it is Kickstarter, the game will come out faster. I would have preferred blocks as well, as it is easier for me to sticker blocks than paint figures. But that won't keep me from funding the Kickstarter! I've been wanting this game for a long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I would prefer blocks.

+1 for blocks too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I would prefer blocks.

+1 for blocks too.

Hmmm...given that it is apparently going the KS route, perhaps blocks and stickers could be an add-on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
Lunga wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I would prefer blocks.

+1 for blocks too.

Hmmm...given that it is apparently going the KS route, perhaps blocks and stickers could be an add-on?
As I see it, blocks allow for a variety of unit types to be built into the game more cheaply than with miniatures. If they have already decided on miniatures, chances are that they have settled for less diversity, and benefit of blocks in terms of gameplay would be wasted.

Perhaps I am wrong?

(On the other hand, it's more convenient to move a group of blocks than a group of minis.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$$$ SE
Richard Borg
United States
Orlando
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
atsgamer wrote:
Lunga wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I would prefer blocks.

+1 for blocks too.

As I see it, blocks allow for a variety of unit types to be built into the game more cheaply than with miniatures. If they have already decided on miniatures, chances are that they have settled for less diversity, and benefit of blocks in terms of gameplay would be wasted.

Perhaps I am wrong?

(On the other hand, it's more convenient to move a group of blocks than a group of minis.)

It's probably similar to Battle Cry. There really isn't a lot of diversity in North American warfare. like the Civil war it was pretty much just infantry and artillery with a smattering of dragoons. Most of the difference between infantry units (I.e. Militia, regulars and elite) can probably be simply represented by different numbers of figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lara
United States
Key Biscayne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blocks ++++ !!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
atsgamer wrote:
Lunga wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I would prefer blocks.

+1 for blocks too.

Perhaps I am wrong?

It's probably similar to Battle Cry. There really isn't a lot of diversity in North American warfare. like the Civil war it was pretty much just infantry and artillery with a smattering of dragoons. Most of the difference between infantry units (I.e. Militia, regulars and elite) can probably be simply represented by different numbers of figures.

Well, unit types that come to mind are grenadiers, line infantry, light infantry, both musket and rifle equipped, militia, dragoons, and artillery. But for me the variety is in uniforms and headgear. For that, stickers on blocks appeal more to me, as I instantly have a nice colorful display of the units involved, something I would never be able to replicate by painting figures. Blocks are also easier to move around. Still, in spite of my prefernces, I will sign up in a heartbeat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
MINIS...meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done both versions of Battle Cry, all of C&C Ancients and all of C&C Napoleonics but going to pass on this one. First reason is I have all the American Revolution battles I need with the Mark Miklos excellent GMT games. Nice system, not too complex. Second I think I'm approaching burnout on the C&C system. If this was a more detailed ACW C&C type block game to replace Battle Cry I would definitely do that. Finally, Compass games are just a little too pricy for my wallet and I can only imagine how much a game with minis might be. Perhaps I will be proven wrong on that last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So other than more plastic crack, how does this differ significantly from Hold the Line and its various expansions -- and more to the point, can we hope for similar period expansions for the C&C game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |