Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: New Player - squad tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kory Rambow
msg tools
Hello All, after months of being told by my 2 brother-in-laws how fun this game was, I finally bit the bullet and made an order on amazon last night.

I purchased:
Core Set
Millennium Falcon
Slave I
Tie Phantom
Tie Advanced
Rebel Aces Expansion

I plan on playing with my wife for practice for a bit and plan on letting her use the MF/???

Using the above ships, what are some good basic squads for both sides that I can experiment with? What ships should I focus on next on the imperial side?

Thanks for any and all tips, in meantime ill just read back on old posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starburst Q
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On your first few games my advice would be to just play what looks interesting and get a feel for what works for you. However, that's a crappy response to your question. Here's what I'd personally use to get to know the game:

Rebels:
Han Solo (Falcon)
-Chewbacca
Jake Farrell (A wing)
-Proton Rockets
Blue Squadron Pilot (B wing)

Han is your backbone and is forgiving of bad rolls or bad position. Jake is for practicing your positioning. Jake can move around the play area like crazy. Use him to practice positioning, learn where the dials will put your ships. He's a very good pilot if you can position him where no one can shoot him (don't forget his ability). Blue squad rounds out your list with a nice amount of additional hit points and not a bad attack either.

Imperials:
Bounty Hunter (Slave I)
Darth Vader (Advanced)
-Squad Leader
Whisper (Phantom)
-Advanced Cloak

Bounty Hunter will be your meat shield, positioning big ships can be difficult, but the rear arc will help if you make some mistakes.
Darth Vader is there for support. 2 Actions (and able to give one away to another of your ships) can be very helpful for attack and defense. Whisper is just fun to play, but has the same affect as Jake for the Rebels, take extra care when selecting movements and actions and try to place him exactly where you want him. Get to know those movement templates!

These are by no means great lists, but it's what I'd use if I wanted to just have fun and learn the game at the same time without bothering too much with "I only want to play the BEST lists!"

Edit:
You might also want to practice with formations: Grab Vader(adv), Mauler Mithel (TIE) and Dark Curse (TIE). Try to keep all 3 TIEs close together through out the game. If you can fly all 3 like 1 ship, they'll be able to focus fire on a single enemy and bring them down quick. Kath Scarlet would take up the last of your 100 points and give your squad some help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Blackford
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
When starting, I would limit the upgrades and keep things simple. I would say Falcon and two other small ships vs Firespray, TIE x 2, and TIE Advanced. After you are comfortable with movement and the basic rules, start experimenting with upgrades and named pilots.

For Imperials, I would suggest adding Imperial Aces and Interceptor Expansions. Interceptors are still competitive, and most importantly - fun to fly.

I also love the Lambda Shuttle, but it isn't for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rambow13 wrote:
Hello All, after months of being told by my 2 brother-in-laws how fun this game was, I finally bit the bullet and made an order on amazon last night.

I purchased:
Core Set
Millennium Falcon
Slave I
Tie Phantom
Tie Advanced
Rebel Aces Expansion

I plan on playing with my wife for practice for a bit and plan on letting her use the MF/???

Using the above ships, what are some good basic squads for both sides that I can experiment with? What ships should I focus on next on the imperial side?

Thanks for any and all tips, in meantime ill just read back on old posts.

Nova squadron has some really good podcasts on getting started and what questions your list needs to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starburst Q
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RunWildcat wrote:
When starting, I would limit the upgrades and keep things simple. I would say Falcon and two other small ships vs Firespray, TIE x 2, and TIE Advanced. After you are comfortable with movement and the basic rules, start experimenting with upgrades and named pilots.

I agree and disagree with this. It depends on your ability to keep track of multiple things. My first game ever had Lando in MF, Kavil in a scum Y-wing with an autoblaster turret and a scum z-95 all 3 ships had a verity of upgrades (we were short on one-faction ships). I didn't forget anything on my ships during play.

Don't be afraid to just jump right in and use upgrades and named pilots. Use that Phantom that's hard to fly, and kind of weak if you fly wrong. It's an awesome ship and fun to play. If it doesn't work out and you lose, better luck next time. Games are meant to have fun with, so don't push away the parts you think look cool just because "you're not ready yet". Jump in with both feet, crash you Falcon into an asteroid, make Vader fly off the map and accidentally put two shield upgrades on your A-Wing. Just have fun, you'll figure it all out as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I like that rebel list, although I would personally swap out Chewbacca crew for Engine Upgrade on Han. Chewie effectively adds 2 health which is nice, but Engine Upgrade gives you the ability to arc-dodge and control range which can easily prevent more than 2 damage throughout a game. Obviously not having Predator means that the post boost shots will be weaker, but Han's ability should help get some damage through. Alternatively, you could drop Jake down to a prototype with refit and add Luke crew to Han to bolster damage output.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls