Subject: newbie to BGG - heroScape alone worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am a newbie to BGG and to wargames, and was thinking of purchasing heroScape based on the excellent reviews on BGG. however, i was wondering if i only planned on purchasing the master set without any of its expansions or blister packs etc.., is it still worth to buy or not. any advice/ comments will be greatly appreciated. thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargame, no, its not that deep. As a light, fun fantasy game, its pretty fun on its own. I prefer it with expansions, but I'm a collecting kinda guy. I could have just played with a Master set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never felt an overwhelming urge to own every single unit, and there are a ton of alternate setups (in addition to the ones in the book) here on BGG that use only the master set. A big positive of Heroscape is that they sell it at Wal-Mart, so sometimes a new group of samurais or something ends up in my weekly grocery purchase.

I'd say Heroscape is a great place to start. Just be sure to set it up before your opponent arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a debatable issue - BUY IT!

Worst thing that can happen - you spend some dough on something that you don't like, and you get back some of your money buy selling it on ebay or giving it to a nephew or neighbor as a present...

The more likely scenario, however, is that you and your game group will really enjoy it - either as a lite fantasy/sci-fi/wargame game, or as a suprisingly tactical, high-tension, high-tempo combat fest (it can serve as either, depending on the "spirit" in which you play it). And, if you do like it, I give you about 24 hours before you're rushing back to Target or Toys R Us or wherever to buy some expansions...

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide and/or how you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to buy any expansions at all. The master set plays very well and is a complete game on its own. Great replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely concur with the people above who claim that the base set has a lot of replayability on its own. The expansions, while fun, are in no way necessary to enjoy the game.

That said, if you ever decide to buy one expansion, the Forest set is pretty handy for the extra road/bridge terrain and cover provided by the trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Master Set alone is a good investment. However if you DO like the game you'll feel compelled to buy more and more and more and more and more.

That said, here's what I'd recommend. Decide if your interests lie in the figures or the terrain. If it's terrain then seek out the Castle and the Road to the Forgotten Forest. If it's the figures then look for Unique Squad and Unique Hero packs first, then look into purchasing multiple Common Squads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
The master set makes for a perfectly complete game unto itself. But, to echo Eric, if you enjoy the game enough, you'll probably find yourself unable to resist buying expansions and boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No contest at all about this question. Heroscape plays great with a master set (or two if they are on sale), however the expansions do much to expand the variety of landscapes and figures you can use.

The figures included in the MS give you a real taste for the game and there's a good deal of replayability to be had with it alone.

Having said that I'd be giving you 24 hours before you fly out to expand the system, it'll have you hooked!

Good luck and please write back to let us know how you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what has been said. The Master Set is all you need to play a great game. Expansions are fun, but not required. However, I would highly recommend visiting HeroScapers.com as the cheapest and most useful addition to the basic Master Set (cheap, because it is free and very, very useful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone should own a master set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chelgren
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
Everyone should own a master set

Or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to buy any expansions for HeroScape. The game is designed to play just fine by itself. That may sound odd after seeing all of the various expansions in the stores. When I saw the game in the store a couple of years ago with all those expansion packs I assumed that the game was designed to only play well with the added expansions. That's not the case.

I received HeroScape for Christmas and have purchased two expansion sets of additional units only because I really enjoy the game and wanted to see what type of armies I could build with the additional units.

Read all the reviews of the game here on BGG before you buy the game to make sure it is something you will enjoy. Chances are you will. For a video of the game go to

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/index.php?paged=9

scroll down to the HeroScape review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you enjoy the game with just a Master? Of course. It's a great game right out of the box. That said, I think it gets even better with the expansions, even if you don't want to buy all of them.

I would recommend buying the Master Set (if you can find one, get the Wal-Mart exclusive Master Set with the three bonus Black Viper figures...some areas of the country still have it on the shelves, and it's the same price but gives you three bonus figures).

After that, if you like the game at all buy the following:
-two or three packs of Wave One's Grut Orcs AND/OR Wave Six's Orcs/Shades (either of these will play well with "Grimnak" from the Master Set and allow you to use him to his utmost potential)
-the Lawmen and Samurai pack from Wave Four AND/OR the Samurai/Ninja pack from Wave Five (the wave four pack offers more cards for greater variety)
-the large "Raknar's Vision" hero pack that contains a giant (a wonderfully fun addition to the game)

I think those purchases, combined with the Master Set, will keep you going for a long long time. You can add whatever you want later, or never add anything. That's the beauty of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.