Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know most players love freighter. Don't get me wrong, it can be a great card. However, here is one reason I haven't seen mentioned that really hurts the freighter.

Let's say you buy the freighter on your first turn. This is your first time through the deck. Now let's say your turns 3-5 are your second time through the deck. There's a chance the freighter gets stuck on the bottom, so when you draw it, you will have just reshuffled for the second time, therefore beginning your third time through the deck. You finally get to use the freighter, and buy a card, most likely that goes to the discard pile. This card you won't be able to draw until your 4th time through the deck, at the earliest! If it also gets stuck at the bottom, it might not be playable until the 5th time through the deck! That's a LONG time to actually feel the benefit of the freighter!

I know that doesn't always happen, and it sucks for any good card to get stuck at the bottom of the deck. But with trade cards, I think it hurts even more than a damage card, since the benefits are further delayed.

Some day I'll write a proper strategy article, but for now, I'll leave it at that for one more reason I dislike the freighter and all trade cards :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
railbaron wrote:
I know most players love freighter. Don't get me wrong, it can be a great card. However, here is one reason I haven't seen mentioned that really hurts the freighter.

Let's say you buy the freighter on your first turn. This is your first time through the deck. Now let's say your turns 3-5 are your second time through the deck. There's a chance the freighter gets stuck on the bottom, so when you draw it, you will have just reshuffled for the second time, therefore beginning your third time through the deck. You finally get to use the freighter, and buy a card, most likely that goes to the discard pile. This card you won't be able to draw until your 4th time through the deck, at the earliest! If it also gets stuck at the bottom, it might not be playable until the 5th time through the deck! That's a LONG time to actually feel the benefit of the freighter!

I know that doesn't always happen, and it sucks for any good card to get stuck at the bottom of the deck. But with trade cards, I think it hurts even more than a damage card, since the benefits are further delayed.

Some day I'll write a proper strategy article, but for now, I'll leave it at that for one more reason I dislike the freighter and all trade cards :-).

This isn't really unique to Freighter. Scrap cards on bottom suck too. And big damage cards on bottom late in the game suck too. Nothing to do with the actual card....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or... buy Freighter on turn 3 as first player. Buy Brain World on turn 5. Play Brain World on turn 9 at start of 3rd time through the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
railbaron wrote:
it sucks for any good card to get stuck at the bottom of the deck. But with trade cards, I think it hurts even more than a damage card, since the benefits are further delayed.

This isn't really unique to Freighter. Scrap cards on bottom suck too. And big damage cards on bottom late in the game suck too. Nothing to do with the actual card....

I tried to identify the difference between freighter (and other trade cards) vs damage cards. There is a difference. See the sentence from my original post listed above.

The point is, the benefit of trade is buying a card, but you don't get to USE the card right away. So the benefit of trade cards is delayed. With combat cards, you receive the benefit immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
railbaron wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
railbaron wrote:
it sucks for any good card to get stuck at the bottom of the deck. But with trade cards, I think it hurts even more than a damage card, since the benefits are further delayed.

I tried to identify the difference between freighter (and other trade cards) vs damage cards. There is a difference. See the sentence from my original post listed above.

The point is, the benefit of trade is buying a card, but you don't get to USE the card right away. So the benefit of trade cards is delayed. With combat cards, you receive the benefit immediately.

Trade cards are "slow" cards that require at least one additional shuffle to realize any value from the trade (in order to draw the card(s) bought with the trade). They are thus more sensitive to bottom decking as you point out. Scrap cards also need at least one shuffle to amortize their scrap value. This risk, which is random and thus the player has no direct control over, is offset by the reward of having more powerful cards and a better deck on the next shuffle. Combat and authority/defense cards are "fast" cards provide immediate benefit and thus are not as sensitive to the shuffle, but do not improve your deck.

TL;DR - Trade and scrap cards are riskier because they more sensitive to the shuffle, but offer more reward because they can make your deck better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Freighter can fail phenomenally, but it is a very powerful card. Unlike authority and combat (in most cases*), trade is not cumulative, in that the trade you produce on one turn does not help you buy ships the next. By having the Freighter in your deck, you are going to have an advantage in buying any card that enters the trade row.

* Yes, combat is not cumulative either, but, outside of destroying bases, combat does accumulate over the course of the game in the form of missing authority for your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T v Hees
msg tools
mbmbmb
What you're getting at is that the freighter is very swingy. Because of the way Star Realms' economy works, trade sources become increasingly swingy as they get larger. A 4-trade card is worth much more than two 2-trade cards.

This isn't really a problem with the Freighter itself, it's baked in to the game and the Freighter just makes it really obvious.

That said, it should probably have cost 1 less and had 1 or 2 trade moved to the ally ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.