17 Posts

Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Full Battle July 1, 0700 and 0800 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack VandeKamp
msg tools
Hello Everyone,

I have played a few scenarios in this game and a few from Dead of Winter and decided it was time to dive into the monster scenario. I thought it might be fun to share some of the experience here. I'm no expert with the GBACW system and I'm sure I will make some mistakes along the way, but hopefully nothing that will impact the game too heavily.

While looking at the victory conditions, I saw there was several hexes that the CSA side would have to take if they win under the geographical. I thought it would be helpful to mark these just to get a visual of where these are on the map (seen below). I didn't leave these on the map during play, I just wanted to get an overall picture in my head where these were in relation to each other.

The initial set-up is shown here:

July 1, 0700
CSA has the initiative on the first turn and elects for Heth to go first. Heth advances Archer’s brigade and they take up position south of the road to make room for Davis to march up the road. Pegram starts the battle attached to Heth’s division, so he moves forward as well.

Buford draws the first chit from the cup. Gamble moves up the road and his two units that began the game dismounted move into a little valley to hide from the confederate artillery. Buford decides to call Devin’s brigade from the north of Gettysburg to support Gamble. Hopefully Reynolds can make it on time to stop the southern forces that will coming from the north later in the day.

The CSA March chit is drawn next. Davis’ brigade marches forward along the rode and pulls off the road as it gets closer to Gamble. Davis gets closer than a unit under march would normally be able to get, but Gamble men set-up in a little valley and don’t have LOS to Davis’ men.

Buford draws the next chit and pulls more of his forces up. The one artillery unit he has sets up on high ground over-looking the road. Devin continues to move up.

I believe I made a small mistake in setting up the turn’s activation chits. I was looking at the reinforcement table for set-up that says that Heth only receives 1 AM in the campaign game. However, when beginning to set-up the 0800 reinforcements, I looked at errata for the game and there was a new reinforcement chart published on the GMT website that deletes the 0700 entry. So apparently, the set-up for the 1st scenario that states that Heth gets 2 AMs applies.

So I moved Heth again. As you can see, this gives Archer good position on Gamble’s flank and Pegram gets good position on some high ground looking down the road. Their new positions can be seen in the first picture for the 0800 turn.

July 1, 0800

The Union wins the initiative for the turn. I begin to get the reinforcements for the turn out and on the table. I roll for Rowley’s entry…a zero. He will be coming in this turn. I draw an efficiency chit of 2 for Reynolds just in case any of his units will not enter under March orders. Buford draws a 3 which will get him 4 AMs this turn. The CSA draws a 2 and with AP Hill not on the board yet, that means Heth will only get 1 AM.

With AP Hill not on the board, the CSA units are not in command and cannot change orders in the division orders phase. Buford decides to leave his commands under Advance orders. All reinforcements are put under March orders.

Buford takes the first activation with the Union’s initiative. The artillery attached to Buford takes a shot at the 13th AL, gets great rolls and disorders it. Gamble’s brigade dismounts and holds it ground (perhaps foolishly). Devin moves forward.

The Union March AM is drawn next. The 1st corps begins its march towards Gettysburg. The reinforcements with Rowley only get 1 activation according to the reinforcement table, so they don’t get too far in off the map’s edge. The brigade’s with Reynolds decide not to force too hard to stay fresh for the fight ahead and only use 3 activations worth of movement so they don’t incur fatigue.

Buford is the next draw. Gamble pulls back a little. This could bring some units under fire from Pegram’s guns, but it does get him further away from the outflank of Archer. Devin continues to move up and takes positions on Herr’s ridge. The lone Union gun takes another pot shot at the same unit in Archer’s brigade and rolls another amazing hit, causing a step loss and a retreat.

Heth gets the next activation. Pegram’s guns open fire on Gamble’s newly exposed units. Two batteries manage to get hits on the same unit causing disorder and then a step loss and retreat. Archer moves up attempting to continue his outflank. The 7 TN comes within approach fire range of the Union gun, but the canister fire mostly hits the trees the regiment is moving in and has no effect. However, the Union player rolled a 5, so the arty become disordered (a shot that could have paid off big for the Union backfires).

Buford goes next. He takes this opportunity to get the guns back in order. Gamble continues to fall back to make a more uniform line with Devin, who dismounted his cav. I forgot to place the fatigue markers on the brigades for this 3rd activation, but fix this later.

Buford draws the next activation again. After looking over his options, he decides to only attempt to rally the disordered unit so he doesn’t incur any more fatigue. He really only had shots with two units in Gamble’s brigade.

The CSA March chit is the last one drawn. Davis continues to move forward, but has to stay either out of LOS or more than 4 hexes away from Buford’s men. The reinforcements come on in column along the road with 2 AMs and get up pretty close.

I have never posted anything like this before, but I did rather enjoy writing the recap as I was playing so I plan to continue to post updates and hope someone here enjoys seeing them. I don't know how detailed later turns will be when there are many more divisions on the map, but I will try to keep it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob schuette
United States
Papillion
Nebraska
flag msg tools
And ameritrash gamer
badge
And euro gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great session report! The pictures are also great and convey what is going on. Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep them coming.. I´ve played this game for years, so I love to read AAR´s about it (did some myself too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, looking forward to the AARs!

any chance you could make the pics just a bit bigger ? :) (write medium or large in the bracket with the pic id)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fernbacker
United States
Hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For enlarge photos.
Go back into EDIT in between the numbers type "large" [12345-67890large]
Now on to the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack VandeKamp
msg tools
Thank you everyone! I just went through and made the pictures larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!

It surely looks beautiful! Please keep them coming - very much looking forward to how the story evolves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fernbacker
United States
Hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent AAR
It doesn't get easier as turns role out with more and more units on the map but it is fun trying to write up a good AAR and seeing your plan change with continued play.
I try to record all plays with AAR. You'll come across all of them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff! Please keep us apprised of how the game turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for doing this! How you're doing this is really making it very understandable.

Please keep going if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just trying my first game of this and going through the 0700 and 0800 turns for the Herr's Ridge scenario.

I noticed that you had Devin's brigade activate twice on the 0700 turn, same as Gamble. Is this right? Gamble has chain of command to Buford, but Devin does not, and would therefore need to miss out on one of Buford's AMs, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack VandeKamp
msg tools
You are probably right. Devin does look like he would be under the independent brigade rule at the start. I don't think I thought about it for the first turn since the setup stated the number of AMs to use, but I still think you are correct. I'll just say he pushed his horses extremely hard that first turn to make it to the line .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fernbacker
United States
Hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zackvk wrote:
You are probably right. Devin does look like he would be under the independent brigade rule at the start. I don't think I thought about it for the first turn since the setup stated the number of AMs to use, but I still think you are correct. I'll just say he pushed his horses extremely hard that first turn to make it to the line .
I don't know about that. Set up tells you Buford is independent and what AM's the brigades get, yes?
Buford is on the map, yes?
Buford has a +1AM that he may give to any "In Command" brigade, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buford is independent, but Devin is not. I don't see an exception for him in the Battle Book, so I figure he indeed activates one less time than Buford, as he starts 0700 beyond Buford's command range.

Buford does have that +1 Activation rating, but the way I read the Battle Book rules, he receives two AM for the 0700 turn regardless.

No big worries for Devin, because command ranges are doubled along roads & Pikes, and it appears he can guarantee being in command by the start of 0800, as long as Buford hangs back a little during 0700.

But it's been a while since I played...fun to see it unfold again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fernbacker
United States
Hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haubitze wrote:
Buford is independent, but Devin is not. I don't see an exception for him in the Battle Book, so I figure he indeed activates one less time than Buford, as he starts 0700 beyond Buford's command range.

Buford does have that +1 Activation rating, but the way I read the Battle Book rules, he receives two AM for the 0700 turn regardless.

No big worries for Devin, because command ranges are doubled along roads & Pikes, and it appears he can guarantee being in command by the start of 0800, as long as Buford hangs back a little during 0700.

But it's been a while since I played...fun to see it unfold again.
You heard it from the one that knows

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew, it's nice to check back a day later and see a whole discussion laid out. AARs like this really help a new player learn the ropes (and there are a LOT of ropes).

I had missed the rule about command range being doubled along pikes and roads. Glad that was mentioned.

My Herr's Ridge scenario ended with a Union victory. Devin went south to the crossroads and flank charged a marching CSA brigade (the weaker green colored one). It's dangerous to march over there in time to claim it if the union defends it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should clarify that Command Range is measured in the Movement Points leaders pay. They pay only 1/2 MP per connected road or pike hex, according to the Errata for 3DoG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls