Subject: Clayrovance and Arcane Understanding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clayrovance: Allow Clue Encounters
Mistery - Arcane Understanding: "After successfully resolving a spell (lore check) spend a clue to put an eldritch token on this card..."

Now, what do trigger for first? "resolving a spell", in thos case resolving Clayrocance means complete the Clue Encounter? And if Yes, can i use the Clue got from Encounter for the Mistery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I means that you passed a test that was printed on a spell card. Usually, the front of a spell has you test Lore. As long as you pass that test, you can place a token on the Mystery, regardless of whatever else the spell does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clairvoyance simply allows you to encounter the clue. You could cast it and then choose not to encounter the clue (based on the spell's backside or if you were just casting it for the mystery).

But that also means resolving the spell happens before the encounter, so you could not use any clue gained from the encounter for the mystery.

Edit: I'm not sure "successfully resolving a spell" means passing the spell test. The spell is cast successfully either way, but bad stuff happens if you roll no successes. I have no idea what the rules say, however.

Edit: I really haven't played in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Edit: I'm not sure "successfully resolving a spell" means passing the spell test. The spell is cast successfully either way, but bad stuff happens if you roll no successes. I have no idea what the rules say, however.
I don't think a spell is successfully cast either way. You get the effect on the front IF you succeed (ie, 1+ successes), then you flip the card whether you succeeded or not for additional effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact text of the Mystery in the English version is: "When an investigator passes a
test when resolving a Spell effect, he may spend 1 Clue and discard that Spell after he has finished resolving its effects."

So it's clear that all you have to do is pass the Lore test. "After resolving its effects" is a little fuzzy, but I'd rule it to be after the completion of the encounter. Some Clairvoyance/Mists of Releh side effects affect the encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
The exact text of the Mystery in the English version is: "When an investigator passes a
test when resolving a Spell effect, he may spend 1 Clue and discard that Spell after he has finished resolving its effects."

So it's clear that all you have to do is pass the Lore test. "After resolving its effects" is a little fuzzy, but I'd rule it to be after the completion of the encounter. Some Clairvoyance/Mists of Releh side effects affect the encounter.
. Thx, you havee undersstand me.. Now you rhink, can use Clue got from encounter for the Mistery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
GregF wrote:
"After resolving its effects" is a little fuzzy, but I'd rule it to be after the completion of the encounter.
It's absolutely unfuzzy. Clair merely expands your encounter selection options, its resolution is well over and done by the time you start to think about actually picking the encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
Thx, you havee undersstand me.. Now you rhink, can use Clue got from encounter for the Mistery?
I think you need to spend a clue right after you pass the
test and then you also discard the spell after you resolve its effects. So even in a hypothetical situation where a spell gives you a clue directly I still don't think you could use it for that mystery.

Even if I'm wrong, I agree with Weltenreiter that the spell effect is resolved and done before you do the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cogan
England
flag msg tools
Gaining the clue from the Research encounter is a seperate Instance of resolution from the Spell resolution.

1) Resolve spell effect for Clairvoyance. (After dealing with monsters on your space)

2) If you pass your Lore check then after checking for your results after flipping the spell card you may discard the spell and spend a clue you already posses to advance the mystery.

3) Pick a clue on another space as if you were on that space and resolve that research encounter (applying any special results from the spell resolution). Gain that clue if applicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls