Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered adding these to the review article (and may for brevity sake) but I am unsure if they belong there. So here they are.

#1: All Fronts must try to advance every Conference Round

This is easy to forget but yes every Front will attempt to advance. And a Front with no Reserves opposing it advances on a 20% chance.

#2: You can make other nationalities advance

This may sound weird, but you are not actually in direct command of those Fronts. Other players can support them to advance - this happens for instance with Roosevelt and Churchill making Stalin declare war on Japan and then placing Support behind the Far Eastern Front to get them into Manchuria and thus trigger Japanese Surrender.

#3: Debate with Care

This is more for Stalin but applies to all also. The Soviet special ability adds one to their Staff card value when used in debate. But you need to still be ready to play normally on an issue and also don't go totally debate crazy as the other two players can conspire to place you in situations where if you debate both of them you will wind up down on card count. This is because you can only get one pass from debating to use on your turn.

#4: Remember the Global issue

It can be easy to forget that the Global issues not only get points but control where Political Alignment can be placed. In their start positions the only places Political Alignment can be placed are North Africa and Scandinavia (after three Fleets are in the Arctic Front box).

#5: Remember Pol-Mil costs Production

Winning a Pol-Mil issue is nice, just remember you have to spend a Production to use it. Not an Offensive Support a Production. so be sure you can do that before putting the issue into play.

Feel free to add more. I hope this helps ease the learning curve on a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:

This may sound weird, but you are not actually in direct command of those Fronts. Other players can support them to advance - this happens for instance with Roosevelt and Churchill making Stalin declare war on Japan and then placing Support behind the Far Eastern Front to get them into Manchuria and thus trigger Japanese Surrender.

I was just reading the rules on the train on the way into work. It took me a few parses to get it. If I did get it, players can do things like...

The US wins the USSR Directed Offensive, place it on the Western Front, and force Stalin to cough up two of his precious 3 Production "over there" in the west.

... is this correct?

The game looks fascinating - almost Die Macher-esque with the meshing gears in a seemingly simple package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Joelist wrote:

I was just reading the rules on the train on the way into work. It took me a few parses to get it. If I did get it, players can do things like...

The US wins the USSR Directed Offensive, place it on the Western Front, and force Stalin to cough up two of his precious 3 Production "over there" in the west.

... is this correct?

The game looks fascinating - almost Die Macher-esque with the meshing gears in a seemingly simple package.

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correctly evil, I think is the proper answer.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
My three tips are:

1. Don’t forget you need the Second Front issue in the table center to invade Normandy. Not just 5 naval support whistle

2. Don’t forget to apply the leader special dice rolls after use (before use in the case of Truman). Stalin’s paranoia is easy to overlook.

3. Speaking of Truman, don’t forget to give yourself a Political marker when Truman is used and the A-Bomb marker is in Trinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.